Sign in to follow this  
ecm4

Working on the mound

If the mound is in safe conditions (not a safety issue). But a new pitcher comes in during the middle of the inning are you allowed to work on the mound just because a pitcher likes it a certain way. I’m not sure what the correct ruling on this is. I had this situation where a new pitcher came in during the middle of the bottom of the 5th inning. He just didn’t like it. I didn’t see any type of safety issue. I tried looking it up after the game but couldn’t find anything about it. 

You did not mention what level of play your game was. In games played under high school rules the home team coach decides before the start of the game if the field is playable. Once the game is underway it is up to the umpires to decide when to suspend play or if the field is unplayable. Here are the relevant rules--

2019 NFHS rule 4

SECTION 1 STARTING A GAME

ART. 1 . . . The home coach shall decide whether the grounds and other conditions are suitable for starting the game. After the game starts, the umpires are sole judges as to whether conditions are fit for play and as to whether or not conditions are suitable for starting the second game of a scheduled double-header (two games between the same teams during the same day).

ART. 2 . . . If there are unusual conditions, such as spectators or obstacles too near the playing field, the home coach shall propose special ground rules. If sanctioned by the visiting team, these shall be in force. If the teams cannot agree, the umpires shall formulate ground rules. Ground rules do not supersede a rules book rule. All special rules shall be announced.

2019 NFHS rule 10

SECTION 2 UMPIRE-IN-CHIEF

ART. 3 . . . His duties include those listed in 10-2-1, 10-2-2 and the following:

e. Call the game if conditions become unfit for play.

g. Make final decision on points not covered by the rules.

So you would have the authority under high school rules to allow the field maintenance but I would advise against doing it and thus changing conditions for the other pitcher who is already in the game.

It was high school fall league. The coach just grab a rake and ran out to the field and I walked out and told him he needed to stop as soon as he started to rake it. I should of saw him coming with it but he was out there with it before I realized what he was doing. He didn’t complain to much but tried to say safety issue. There was nothing unsafe about it his pitcher just didn’t like it.