Spectator Taking Flash Photography

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1315 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was under the lights tonight, 2-man crew, for a 15U travel fall league game. This was not a tournament or prospect showcase game.

We're in COVID mechanics. I was U1 moving between B and C calling balls and strikes and my partner was PU moving between 3BX and 1BX depending on the hitter. The VT starting pitcher was in his third inning, when a woman (presumably his mother) took up a place behind the plate in the stands and proceeded to take flash photography. Her flash was right over F2's head and she was releasing the shutter anywhere from when he was in the set position to the ball on the way. I conferred with my partner and we decided to let it go. F1 was pulled after that inning and "Annie Leibovitz" retired to the darkroom. FWIW, I don't know what kind of equipment she was using but unless she had klieg lights out there, even a professional grade flash gives you maybe 12 - 15 feet of light from the lens. She was getting no benefit from that flash.

Were this a game of more importance or had it continued beyond that inning I would have addressed it. My question to all of you is...how best to do so? Directly to the spectator? Her team's coach? What tone or posture do you take here? Is this a Wyatt Earp "Tombstone" situation where you say, "Now ma'am, I'm not saying you can't sit there and I'm not saying you can't take flash photography...all I'm saying is, you can't sit there AND take flash photography."? Unfortunately, I had no read on her as far as what approach may have worked best.

Finally, does this situation change at all under normal, non-COVID, 2-man mechanics?

~Dog

11 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

even a professional grade flash gives you maybe 12 - 15 feet of light from the lens. She was getting no benefit from that flash.

~Dog

Flash was really common in the film days. Players didn't get distracted. Media pros had semi-permanent setups at indoor arenas to shoot sports.  

Most cameras these day do an auto flash. You have to turn it off. (if you know how)

Flash distance varies by ISO and flash angle settings.  My small external flash is good up to 60 feet. The old handle flashes could be good up to 200 feet (I had a Honeywell Strobonar).

• Thanks 1

My teachings have told me go to the coach and let them handle their spectators.  If you know its the pitchers mom ask that teams coach to deal with it.   If it was effecting you it maybe effecting other players and they just deal with it cause she is the team mom or something, still doesn't make it right. 

1 minute ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

The game was played at night. The lights surrounding the field were on. If the lights were not on, we would have been in total darkness...

~Dog

Sorry guys.  It's an old joke around here.  The irony is it might make a difference in this case. :huh:

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1315 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.