Thoughts on Uncap vs Skull Cap

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1170 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

As my cousin says, it's not the years - it's the miles!

Your cousin ain’t Indiana Jones!!!

On 9/25/2020 at 12:46 PM, JimKirk said:

it’s easier for me to make the blanket recommendation “wear the UMPIRE skull cap - not a traditional coach’s helmet - if you are an umpire”. (We/You know it will work with your mask).

I’m becoming more of an advocate for the Skuly by the day, because it represents the first real cohesive step towards head protection for us umpires. Especially when we consider the alternatives, and the reasons (or excuses) that are given for using a HSM, or wearing a full-brimmed skullcap... backwards. 

Today finds me back in Wisconsin, filling in and picking up a few games of HS-age Fall League Baseball... and I’m bewildered by my colleagues who are wearing a veritable circus of headgear, all because the backstops are “too close”. And then the two guys wearing skullcaps backwards do so because “they can’t wear their masks right with it brim forward”.

Maddening.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:08 PM, MadMax said:

If you’re seeing this in MLB, we cannot fault the helmet. The MLB guys wear their mask harnesses (way, far) too tight, such that it’s probably easier / faster / smoother just to take both off in one go.

I don't know. I got one Cobalt Skully today (well actually two, one L and one XL) and even with the L and my mask really loose I'm having the helmet come off. I'm working on it but right now I have to take it off from the back of the head in order to have the helmet stay on.

If anyone had any suggestions please share.

5 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I don't know. I got one Cobalt Skully today (will actually two, one L and one XL) all's even with the L and my mask really loose I'm having the helmet come off. I'm working on it but right now I have to take it off from the back of the head in order to have the helmet stay on.

If anyone had any suggestions please share.

Tighten up your top strap. It is probably coming to far down the back of the helmet and taking it with the mask.

• Like 1