Thoughts on Uncap vs Skull Cap

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1191 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was thinking during the AS presentation the other day that the Skull Cap would be kinda cool to have, but there are 2 glaring issues for me (a college SB umpire):

1. Skull Cap is only available in black right now (we use navy).  I know I could paint it but......

2. All conferences have their own logo-ed hats for conference games.  I would have to try and find stickers for all the conferences I call and that would be a HUGE PITA.  Looks like the MLB guys are figuring it out - Check out the video @ 43 seconds: 

I was looking on Ump Attire and saw the Unequal Uncap:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Supplemental-Protection/UE-UNCAP_Unequal-Uncap-Protective-FlexShell

Anyone use this?  I have an All Star Mag mask so I'd like to get a little more protection in the forehead area.  I think they said something in the All Star presentation about additional protection on the upper pad for this mask but I was confused if AS was coming out with an improved pad or if the Skull Cap was the improvement.

Thanks for your opinions!

I just started using it. Works fine. Biggest issues are I had to order larger plate hates so it would fit. Also have to pay attention when removing so I don’t take off mask and cap at same time. Two hand method works.  

I've used the UnCap for about 175 plate games over the last two years, and I really like it a lot - I think it's especially good for forhead protection.  I did have a strange play this Monday where a ball hit me on top of the head, and that actually hurt.  I'm still using it and like it, but I'm going to give the Cobalt skully a try.  Unlike Mr. Ump's experience, I didn't need to change my hat sizes (maybe just had to stretch them by hand a bit) to include the UnCap, and I'm able to remove my mask one-handed with the mask staying in place.  I think Mr. Ump has the Umplife harness though (please correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Ump) and I think that might be a little "stickier" than a traditional harness, although again, I might be wrong about that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

I was thinking during the AS presentation the other day that the Skull Cap would be kinda cool to have, but there are 2 glaring issues for me (a college SB umpire):

1. Skull Cap is only available in black right now (we use navy).  I know I could paint it but......

2. All conferences have their own logo-ed hats for conference games.  I would have to try and find stickers for all the conferences I call and that would be a HUGE PITA.  Looks like the MLB guys are figuring it out - Check out the video @ 43 seconds: 

I was looking on Ump Attire and saw the Unequal Uncap:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Supplemental-Protection/UE-UNCAP_Unequal-Uncap-Protective-FlexShell

Anyone use this?  I have an All Star Mag mask so I'd like to get a little more protection in the forehead area.  I think they said something in the All Star presentation about additional protection on the upper pad for this mask but I was confused if AS was coming out with an improved pad or if the Skull Cap was the improvement.

Thanks for your opinions!

I received my skull yesterday and had not trouble removing my mask without removing the skull from my head. (The skull didn’t move at all) I posted in another thread also, but I didn’t have to adjust my mask harness at all moving from a normal hat to the skull either. I think we’re over thinking this....I know I did because I ordered new harnesses that I didn’t need. Can’t help with the color issue, but the on and off function of the mask doesn’t move my skull cap at all. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

2. All conferences have their own logo-ed hats for conference games.  I would have to try and find stickers for all the conferences I call and that would be a HUGE PITA.

I am able to help you on this, either through physically doing it for ya, or advising you through it...

On point 1, yes, a paint job will do it. I would actually do plastic fusion paint and a flat or satin sealing finish.

On point 2, I would ask... do all these college conferences have patches? I’m assuming they do... conferences love patches! With those patches, I’d get some 2” navy Velcro with adhesive backing (or labeled as “tape”). Stick the fuzzy “loop” side on the Skuly, and cut sections of the bristley “hook” side to stick to the backside of your patches.

I am planning on doing this with my college games next season. Better this than buying a $27 4-stitch hat for each conference!

• Like 2

Regarding logos/stickers...

If you have access to an ink jet printer, you can buy 8.5" X 11" sticker sheets, find a hi-res image of the logo you want on your skully...and then size it, print it and stick it.

The sticker sheets are slightly more expensive than plain paper so, run drafts on plain paper to be sure you have everything set correctly before the final draft on the sticker sheet.

Print up some extras too and keep them with your gear to either sell to our brothers or so you always have spares if you need a fresh one.

~Dog

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

On point 2, I would ask... do all these college conferences have patches? I’m assuming they do... conferences love patches! With those patches, I’d get some 2” navy Velcro with adhesive backing (or labeled as “tape”). Stick the fuzzy “loop” side on the Skuly, and cut sections of the bristley “hook” side to stick to the backside of your patches.

Great idea, unfortunately most conferences use embroidery on their uniforms.  Conferences (except the power 5) are going plain shirt and the embroidered hat to help save on costs.  I know some conference used to have patches but I haven't seen one in years.

Thanks for the idea though.

Great idea, unfortunately most conferences use embroidery on their uniforms.  Conferences (except the power 5) are going plain shirt and the embroidered hat to help save on costs.  I know some conference used to have patches but I haven't seen one in years.

Thanks for the idea though.

Buy the hat, cut out the logo, and then do the velcro! :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kylejt said:

Hence the hat rules should not apply.

While I heartily agree with you about “should not”, we know there’s a reality in which certain assigners, evaluators, and conference or association leads insist and expect us to wear their hat... 

... or shirt...

... or jacket... 

... or jump through this hoop... 

... or that hoop...

... just cuz... 

So what do hockey style helmet users do in these geezer led organizations? If they contend you must wear a hat under it, I'd counter that these were not tested with a hat underneath, hence might not be as protective with a hat on. As in when compressed, the bill of the hat might be dangerous in the bucket. 

Do they also require a navy hockey style helmet?

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

So what do hockey style helmet users do in these geezer led organizations? If they contend you must wear a hat under it, I'd counter that these were not tested with a hat underneath, hence might not be as protective with a hat on. As in when compressed, the bill of the hat might be dangerous in the bucket. 

Do they also require a navy hockey style helmet?

I've only seen a couple guys wearing HSMs.  They use black ones, but the cap must be worn underneath.

While I understand you could be frustrated by this response, it is what it is.  If you'd like to rail on about the inconsistencies of these positions, please feel free to do so....on a different post.

I'm trying to get people's opinions on the UnCap.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a regular All Star base coach skull cap... Epic has them for $5.99 in all colors right now.  It's a cheap way to test it out.  Some masks fit these full-size skull caps just fine.  I've tried them under a F3 V2 with no problems. The main thing is just ensure you have room for the pads to compress & expand at impact (so leave an inch between the front of your bill and the rear of the mask bars on your forehead).

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/144095/base-coach-abs-hard-shell-cap-closeout.html

image.png.188101134f9a1e3f81b6b0a8426af82e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

If you want a regular All Star base coach skull cap... Epic has them for $5.99 in all colors right now.  It's a cheap way to test it out.  Some masks fit these full-size skull caps just fine.  I've tried them under a F3 V2 with no problems. The main thing is just ensure you have room for the pads to compress & expand at impact (so leave an inch between the front of your bill and the rear of the mask bars on your forehead).

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/144095/base-coach-abs-hard-shell-cap-closeout.html

image.png.188101134f9a1e3f81b6b0a8426af82e.png

I'm concerned that they're showing the SC500 here, but in actuality, it's a different skully? :HS 

22 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I'm concerned that they're showing the SC500 here, but in actuality, it's a different skully? :HS 

Well, my two will be here on Friday.  I'll let you know. :fuel:

If so, it was under $24 shipped for both.  I got a black and a navy for HS.

For what it's worth, I got an UnCap this week (thanks @Rock Bottom).  I like it, but I also had to go up on size on the plate hat - same as @Mr Ump.  I was between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 so I always went down to the smaller size and it was tight.  Now it's too tight.

Might check out the skull caps too once you get yours @wolfe_man.  Please let us know how they work out!

51 minutes ago, AL-Ump said:

For what it's worth, I got an UnCap this week (thanks @Rock Bottom).  I like it, but I also had to go up on size on the plate hat - same as @Mr Ump.  I was between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 so I always went down to the smaller size and it was tight.  Now it's too tight.

Might check out the skull caps too once you get yours @wolfe_man.  Please let us know how they work out!

Will do.

My thing on the UnCap is this... same cost as Cobalt Skully... so if I'm dropping $60 I'll go with a full hard hat.  I know you can use the UnCap in the field too, but then you have increased costs of new hats for the plate and the field.  I like the idea, but don't like the costs constantly going up.  Example: new UnCap $60, new plate hat in black & navy $40, new field hat in black & navy $40 adds up to $140 vs. only using Skully at plate for $60.  

I haven't even been close to being hit with a line drive in the field, especially near my head, so I think I can still move well enough to get out of the way.  Again, I like the idea but cannot justify the costs.  I mostly do HS, Legion and Babe Ruth level baseball though so I'm not seeing extreme velocities either.

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Also ......isn't the SC500 equivalent to a 6 stitch?

If these are like others I've used before, they're not as big as an 8-stitch so I'd agree they're very close to a 6-stitch.

I believe these are the BC-500.

On the positive side, Epic has a TON of these.  Like over 800 in black... their lowest in stock was purple with 24 left, but the majority of colors had over 100 left each.

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

If these are like others I've used before, they're not as big as an 8-stitch so I'd agree they're very close to a 6-stitch.

I believe these are the BC-500.

On the positive side, Epic has a TON of these.  Like over 800 in black... their lowest in stock was purple with 24 left, but the majority of colors had over 100 left each.

the one they list on their page is indeed the SC500 (the photo) ....and true, I remember Brad saying they were equivalent to a 6 stitch.   Yes, I noticed there have a bunch!

29 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

the one they list on their page is indeed the SC500 (the photo) ....and true, I remember Brad saying they were equivalent to a 6 stitch.   Yes, I noticed there have a bunch!

I believe you to be correct on the model. Because Epic does have the BC500 (in matte black by the way) for $25.89

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/141105/all-star-bc500-base-coach-cap.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37Ss4aDu6wIVj43ICh1w7gWlEAQYASABEgI6VPD_BwE

image.png.b72b2ae9ff534b4761251879c970d8cf.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I believe you to be correct on the model. Because Epic does have the BC500 (in matte black by the way) for $25.89

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/141105/all-star-bc500-base-coach-cap.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37Ss4aDu6wIVj43ICh1w7gWlEAQYASABEgI6VPD_BwE

image.png.b72b2ae9ff534b4761251879c970d8cf.png

wierd, with the same description as the other ...... but the BC shows no navy ..... hmmmmmm

For those wondering if you can wear it under a traditional mask bill-forward... see this link for proof.

https://www.whatproswear.com/baseball/news/catchers-corner-why-do-some-pros-wear-their-skull-caps-forward/

A sneak preview below, Jose Lobaton of the TB Rays wearing the AS skull cap bill-forward with an AS FM25Ti.

image.png.19d391c4aeab7c66390f00f519a7b4e5.png

On 9/5/2020 at 8:41 AM, MadMax said:

While I heartily agree with you about “should not”, we know there’s a reality in which certain assigners, evaluators, and conference or association leads insist and expect us to wear their hat... 

... or shirt...

... or jacket... 

... or jump through this hoop... 

... or that hoop...

... just cuz... 

I agree with you on these points.  However, I really believe that if you attack it from a safety standpoint you would be okay.  I BELIEVE that my HS association would be fine with me using this instead of "their" hat.  But I could be wrong.  On the same note I wonder if softball guys would get much resistance on the difference between navy/black--again arguing safety and lack of navy.

• Like 1