Thunderheads

Covid Masks

Ok ... I have to ask ....

I understand why a plate umpire would be wearing a face covering working the dish due to proximity of others, fine, I get that.

BUT .... WHY are base umpires wearing masks during the ENTIRE GAME?!? :HS   It makes no sense!   I mean, have one on you (around your neck, whatever) so you can talk to others, coaches, etc ....but ...... why would U2, standing in shallow center field have his mask on constantly?  I just don't understand it ......  Was this handed down as a REQUIREMENT from above?

• Like 2

dear god no GIF

the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

I'll offer up because they look cool?  It hides their face from the coaches?  No one knows them if they kick a call?

5 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:
dear god no GIF

the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

I'll offer up because they look cool?  It hides their face from the coaches?  No one knows them if they kick a call?

My query has nothing to do with how dangerous or not Covid is, ...blah blah blah....    Don't think for a second you haven't wondered the same?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

My query has nothing to do with how dangerous or not Covid is, ...blah blah blah....    Don't think for a second you haven't wondered the same?

I know that Jeff, just having fun. 

I have wondered a little about it possibly, but then I see so many confusing levels of mask-wearing all the time.  If I wear one, it stays on until I'm back in the car: but I see others who put it on to go into church, then off while in church, then on again to go the bathroom, then back off in their seat, then on again to leave, etc. which is causing cross-contamination making the point of wearing a mask moot.   If you are going to wear one, it's actually safer to keep it on and in place with minimal touching/adjusting so the MLB guys in the field are at least doing it correctly.   I have seen more MLB umpires wearing them, so maybe it has come down from above to make a stronger effort to wear them.

The thing that really makes me scratch my head is the need for a sneeze-guard (clear plastic) on the plate umpire's mask when he is already wearing another mask under his umpire mask.  This seems redundant to me, but what do I know?  I will say that I have only seen this on a few umpires wearing both the sneeze-guard and regular mask. 

I have seen several coaches and umpires wearing two masks also.  They'll have a medical mask (light blue) under a neck gaiter or regular mask.  I'm not sure if they have higher risk or if they're just being extra-cautious, but that has to be hot.

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I know that Jeff, just having fun. 

I have wondered a little about it possibly, but then I see so many confusing levels of mask-wearing all the time.  If I wear one, it stays on until I'm back in the car: but I see others who put it on to go into church, then off while in church, then on again to go the bathroom, then back off in their seat, then on again to leave, etc. which is causing cross-contamination making the point of wearing a mask moot.   If you are going to wear one, it's actually safer to keep it on and in place with minimal touching/adjusting so the MLB guys in the field are at least doing it correctly.   I have seen more MLB umpires wearing them, so maybe it has come down from above to make a stronger effort to wear them.

The thing that really makes me scratch my head is the need for a sneeze-guard (clear plastic) on the plate umpire's mask when he is already wearing another mask under his umpire mask.  This seems redundant to me, but what do I know?  I will say that I have only seen this on a few umpires wearing both the sneeze-guard and regular mask. 

I know ... I know you're just funnin' .... 

Same w/ restaurants ... it's funny.  You have to wear one to come inside and be seated.  Once seated you can take them off.  When you get up to use the restroom, put it back on.  Is that truly making the difference?  Who knows (and we'll never know)

I've never seen protocol on HOW to wear a mask properly, so I wouldn't know.   I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but ...that's my personal opinion.   My point is ......you're outside, PLENTY OF DISTANCE away from others...    Until that moment comes ...why have it on?  (Again, that's just me)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I've never seen protocol on HOW to wear a mask properly, so I wouldn't know.   I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but ...that's my personal opinion.   My point is ......you're outside, PLENTY OF DISTANCE away from others...    Until that moment comes ...why have it on?  (Again, that's just me)

I worked in the medical field for a while at a local hospital, so I've been trained on contamination, cross-contamination, etc.  Most people wearing them are not doing themselves any favors because they end up cross-contaminating it quickly.   However, the mask is not supposed to be keeping them from getting something, or so I'm told, but the mask is to keep the wearer from giving it to someone else - and that should be working if the mask is covering the mouth AND nose.  I see so many folks leaving their noses out over the top of the mask.  If you sneeze, it's not just your mouth that can spread germs.

I saw a study a couple of weeks back saying a sneeze can travel up to 26', so even the 6' rule we've been using isn't really enough without a mask.  The MLB umpires are erring on the side of caution, but then there will be an F3 in the same game who doesn't have a mask on and R1 is literally right beside him!  This is why it's hard to get people to understand and comply with the need to wear one, what's being communicated and what is on display is not the same.

That's all well and good, and I understand what you're saying 

AGAIN ....   U2 all alone in center field ....no one within YARDS or him ... full mask, 100% of the time .... just doesn't make sense.  Oh well ....whatever

Take it from a champion of laziness...it could be as simple as not wanting to keep putting it on and taking it off. If it’s comfortable enough, why not leave it on?

• Like 1

The more people seen doing something on TV and the Internet, the more normalized it becomes.

I don't wear one because I have seen MLB umpires and others wearing them on TV and the Internet. I wear because I'd rather not become embroiled in the aftermath of being an unintentional spreader by not wearing one should the contract tracing lead back to me. A person can spread even with a mask but, I don't want to have to explain myself and my choices to some player's parent(s). I want to be able to say to them, "I followed my association's 52 page COVID manual and I wore a PPE mask."

~Dog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Thunderheads said:

BUT .... WHY are base umpires wearing masks during the ENTIRE GAME?!? :HS   It makes no sense!

You’re trying to find sense now???

I mean, have one on you (around your neck, whatever) so you can talk to others, coaches, etc ....but ...... why would U2, standing in shallow center field have his mask on constantly?

Here’s a nugget of LKI – each Major League participant is tested daily, and from what I’ve read & heard, the umpires are tested 2–3 times daily. Those masks, while pretty nifty looking (as far as masks go), are not medical PPE -rated, so they’re not wearing them to prevent contraction of the virus (if it is even there on the field, which it isn’t). Thus, why are they wearing them?

Hmmmmm...

Simple, they’re setting a good, professional example, and reducing the (undue, IMO) scrutiny upon them and the League. If a club has an outbreak, it didn’t come from the umpires, by golly!

Was this handed down as a REQUIREMENT from above?

Yes, but I can’t seem to find anything published about it. And if I did, which I haven’t, I wouldn’t reprint it here in case ~someone~ freaked out over it.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m completing 22 weeks of COVID-free baseball. The first two weeks, I was required to wear a mask (I wore a gaiter, below) on plate and bases, and I found that it actually prevented sunburn on my cheeks, neck, and back of my head, despite my personal opinion about wearing one.

gaiter_side_mask.jpg.97717aafdaeff6ddc291e0e56f0705ec.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

The more people seen doing something on TV and the Internet, the more normalized it becomes.

... and the less likely people will fly into a panic-fueled rage, shaming everyone in sight, and firing off tweets, face-bursts, and emails calling in every one of their “followers” to shame you too, “speaking truth to power” (what does that even mean??!!).

On 9/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

I wear because I'd rather not become embroiled in the aftermath of being an unintentional spreader by not wearing one should the contract tracing lead back to me.

Commendable, but largely unnecessary. Remember, we were told at the start of this – by science – that this is the most widespread, pervasive, dangerous virus in human history. It was everywhere, and everyone is/was going to get it. If it’s everywhere, then how possibly can science track and trace its path? It’s not like it has a punch card that states, “I wuz here in Max’s nose, now I’m here in Dog’s lungs.” Doesn’t work like that... but I commend you on at least being prepared.

Play ball!

• Like 1

Remember back to week one or two.  Very few base umpires were masked up. Here comes the Marlins followed by Cardinals outbreaks, and like magic, EVERY umpire  is masked. It’s been said above. Optics, make it look like the norm, If there are more team outbreaks don’t blame us. Set the “ correct “ example. Mandated by the powers that be?  Absolutely  

• Like 1

@MadMax

There are now COVID phone apps that trace and track all users and sends notifications when a POSSIBLE infection may have occurred, which helps you to know to go and get tested. Now, obviously someone has to have the app downloaded and activated on their phone...and most importantly actually carry their phone with them as they move about the planet.

All of this to say, tracing and tracking tech exists. I wouldn't pretend to know how effective, reliable and or safe it actually is...fortunately, my association is not requiring this.

~Dog

From the article:

MLB medical experts didn’t believe the positive test represented a threat of infection or presented a risk to other personnel, according to those familiar with the matter. The people spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.

The afflicted umpire and four umps who were considered close contacts with him have all tested negative multiple times since the positive test, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

Huh! Fascinating! He didn’t end up in the hospital, didn’t instantaneously afflict the rest of his crew (it is the most contagious virus in human history, donchaknow!), and to MLB’s credit, they didn’t go into a mass panic hysteria falsely believing the “ping pong balls in a box” computer simulation that seems to have been foisted upon the rest of us.

According to the article, he’s now negative, and his entire crew continues to be negative. Huh.

Maybe a computer can’t predict a strike after all.

• Like 2

So he had a false positive?

hmm wonder how many others have had this happen.. No not really, just thinking it fits "the narrative"  if there are more false + issues to help raise the panic level. ie if there are false positives who is to say there are not false negatives too?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

From the article:

Huh! Fascinating! He didn’t end up in the hospital, didn’t instantaneously afflict the rest of his crew (it is the most contagious virus in human history, donchaknow!), and to MLB’s credit, they didn’t go into a mass panic hysteria falsely believing the “ping pong balls in a box” computer simulation that seems to have been foisted upon the rest of us.

According to the article, he’s now negative, and his entire crew continues to be negative. Huh.

You keep discrediting your opinions on this when you engage in hyperbolic demonization of the facts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MadMax said:

From the article:

People who should have gotten AIDS/HIV probably didn't get AIDS/HIV the 10th or 20th time. But eventually that person contracted HIV/AIDS.

It doesn't make it any less dangerous. 

Best wishes to you.