Phu Bai

Jump Ball...ejections

I have always believed that this is because baseball managers and coaches are not confined like they are in other sports.

In football, if a coach steps on the field, that's an immediate ejection...or it can be at the crew's discretion.

Hockey...coaches aren't stepping on the ice and there is even a referee's crease.

Basketball...again, coaches must remain on the sidelines.

NFHS rules allow for restricting managers and coaches to the dugout via the Ignore, Warn, Restrict and Eject escalation protocol.

Baseball has a history of player-coaches who are already on the field of play. Even though we don't see that in MLB anymore, the culture of a manager/coach arguing calls on the field...remains.

~Dog

Don't forget - the other sports have *other* penalties/punishments that fall short of ejection.  Baseball doesn't.

• Like 3

Also, unlike other sports, if a coach or manager is ejected, there’s no real penalty to the team

Coaches penalty in other sports

basketball - technical, opponent gets free throws

football - unsportsmanlike gets 15 yards for the opponent 

hockey - I have no idea LOL 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I have always believed that this is because baseball managers and coaches are not confined like they are in other sports.

I would argue that coaches are in fact confined. The rules state that a manager can be ejected specifically for leaving their position to argue a judgement call. 

3 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Don't forget - the other sports have *other* penalties/punishments that fall short of ejection.  Baseball doesn't.

This ^^

15 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

This is the correct answer. Baseball doesn't have the equivalent of a 15 yard penalty, a technical foul, a penalty box, or a yellow card (though I guess an official warning is like a yellow card).

Along with the lack of lesser penalties, baseball also lacks one other thing...a clock.

In the other sports any other excessive argument activities can and will be viewed as attempts to delay the game, get additional timeouts, etc

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stkjock said:

hockey - I have not idea LOL 

Bench minor.  2 min penalty.  Possibly misconduct penalties, too.

Were I on my FB page, I would then try to convince you and others that you should love hockey.  But I've just given up.  I might umpire, and I played baseball, and have followed the Os since I was a kid, and I can STILL visualize walking through the portal to get to our seats at my first ever MLB game [mumble] years ago.  But I LOVE hockey, and believe it's the best sport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Bench minor.  2 min penalty.  Possibly of misconduct penalties, too.

Were I on my FB page, I would then try to convince you and others that you should love hockey.  But I've just given up.  I might umpire, and I played baseball, and have followed the Os since I was a kid, and I can STILL visualize walking through the portal to get to our seats at my first ever MLB game [mumble] years ago.  But I LOVE hockey, and believe it's the best sport.

Oh I like hockey, loved playing street hockey as a kid (could never skate ) just don’t know the rules well enough to comment in the post 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Bench minor.  2 min penalty.  Possibly misconduct penalties, too.

:FIRE:Boxing on ice? Well used to be anyway...:P

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, HokieUmp said:

I would go a completely different way on this...tradition.  

Baseball is the ONLY sport where a coach CAN call time out, for free, mind you, come onto the playing field and argue with the official. In all other sports you have a charged (and timed) timeout. So even if the coach did call time to discuss a play with an official, the argument is one minute, or however long the timeout would be. In baseball the coach could theoretically be out there all day, or until you eject him.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, HokieUmp said:

But I LOVE hockey, and believe it's the best sport.

The ONLY thing I ever liked about hockey....................was the movie Slap Shot.

What are you guys doing??

Foiling up coach!

Image result for slap shot movie

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:17 PM, stkjock said:

Also, unlike other sports, if a coach or manager is ejected, there’s no real penalty to the team

Coaches penalty in other sports

basketball - technical, opponent gets free throws

football - unsportsmanlike gets 15 yards for the opponent 

hockey - I have not idea LOL 

In hockey, a player on the offending team serves a 2-minute bench minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, if not a 10-minute misconduct penalty. The bench minor penalty gives the other team a power play (they play with 1 more player for the duration of the penalty, unless they score). So in hockey, a coach being ejected gives the other team a better opportunity to score. 

On 8/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

@The Short Umpire, may I have a rule set and citation on "leaving their position" can lead to an ejection, please?

I am not in any way challenging you. I am trying to learn.

~Dog

Sorry for the delayed response- but

NFHS 3-3-1(f)6

6. any member of the coaching staff who is not the head coach (or designee) in 3-2-4 leaving the vicinity of the dugout or coaching box to dispute a judgment call by an umpire.

penalty: For violation of f(6) both the head coach and offending coach shall receive a written warning and be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game unless the offense is so severe the umpire may eject the offender and restrict or eject the head coach.

OBR 8.02(a)

8.02 Appeal of Umpire Decisions
(a) Any umpire’s decision which involves judgment, such as, but
not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final. No player, manager, coach or substitute shall object to any such judgment decisions.

Rule 8.02(a ) Comment: Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted.  They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call.  If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

So it's not saying that they can't ever leave their positions, but that they can't leave their positions to argue judgement. It's very important as an umpire to make sure you warn them as they start to leave.

On 8/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, HokieUmp said:

But I LOVE hockey, and believe it's the best sport.

Playoff baseball, football, and basketball are all great. But NOTHING beats PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!

The Sharks-Knights 4 OT (or was it 5 or 6) playoff game a few years ago was maybe the greatest sporting even I had ever watched on TV. That includes watching the final outs of my Giants winning 3 series in 5 seasons!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Playoff baseball, football, and basketball are all great. But NOTHING beats PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!

The Sharks-Knights 4 OT (or was it 5 or 6) playoff game a few years ago was maybe the greatest sporting even I had ever watched on TV. That includes watching the final outs of my Giants winning 3 series in 5 seasons!

My brother still hasn't seen Pablo Sandoval catch the pop fly from 2014... It still stings a little, even with the ring in '15

(The ring on MaHomes' finger is nothing but sweetness though :cheers:)

On 9/8/2020 at 12:59 AM, BT_Blue said:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...

So, @BT_Blue...are you guys gettin' stoked up there to release the Kraken...or what? I see you're about 160 up the 5 from Climate Pledge Arena. I have friends in West Seattle and I am totally looking forward to seeing a game out there, hopefully in the inaugural season if they all get out of the bubble. Canucks/Kraken might be the next great rivalry!

And is anyone stopping the Lightning this year?

~Dog