Official AllStar Cobalt Product Launch

Matt Arcovio
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1321 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

5 hours ago, Matt Arcovio said:

Sounds to me like @MadMax just volunteered to set up a lab in his basement to run testing for everyone!

Didja miss this part of my post??? –

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

Let’s stop fooling ourselves... these testing processes aren’t cheap.

To its criticism, NOCSAE isn’t an independent consortium, simply because if it was, there’d be no way it would or could be financially viable. If someone or something was to pay me for my time and effort doing this, then sure... but otherwise, right now, in this current climate, it’d be as productive as placing a kayak in the desert and encouraging me to paddle.

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Then again, we have reviews and opinions on mask from people we know and trust. And so far, that has served most of us quite well.

All well and good, but the biggest obstacle to progress is A) the “exclusive”, dominant position of a/the Big Yellow W on broadcasts, and B) the failure by “certain people at the top” to do nothing more than stump for the Big Yellow W, with claims of, “This is what you need.”

57 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

It used to be when one auto manufacturer or airline came up with something good, then the others followed suit or improved performance too in order to keep pace and their share of the market. 

Great analogy, but slanted here in umpiring because one company has biased “exclusivity”, and has done next-to-nothing over the past 25 years, yet still commands that dominant position. Insultingly, some people still sing their (false) praises. To parallel your analogy, it would be like all the other airlines adopting jet airliners with advanced materials and tested safety features, but the FAA steps in and says that America should fly with Wright Flyers, because they were the first, and they’re “time-proven”, and Wright Bros. have done “so much” for America and the FAA.

Worse still, at Flight School, there’s some FAA stool pigeon there, telling students that they will be training on Wright Flyers, because Wright Flyers are “what ya need”... and holding up a model of a Boeing 777 and claiming that it’s made of titanium, and titanium is “bad”.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

It will be interesting to see how All Star's competition plays the next couple of months.  Will they just let it ride or try to come up with some new changes on their end?

All Star announced the challenge with a first-punch knockout... now who will rise up off the floor to challenge it? These are exciting times for sure! 

As a fellow tinkerer and colleague, I’ll agree with you, but change the wording a bit... to @BlueRanger’s point, this will undoubtedly affect Force3. However, do I think that Force3 is viable and still valid? Yes, absolutely. One of Jason Klein’s greatest strengths is his willingness to take risks, and fully back and implement Kevlar. Force3 has also demonstrated – actually done it, not just say they might – an ability to rapidly modify and upgrade their core products to respond to issues. V1 Defender too heavy? Drop a spring assembly, and issue V2. Kurt Suzuki gets chin cuts? Change the pad design to cover. Umpires and catchers want a visor? Poof! One is designed and produced to fit specifically to the mask. The same can be said about their CP – 3 versions, or upgraded revisions, within... what... 8 years?

We’re going on 20+ years for the Gold. Twenty. And all Wilson’s managed to upgrade is the harness, and that was after Ray, All-Star, and Force3 each making their own modern harnesses that improve the Gold’s (and Platinum’s) fit.

So, this isn’t a first-round, first-punch knockout. This is a eighth-round combination punch that has put the media darling on the mat... and several companies, not just All-Star, can be congratulated for landing blows.

To the media darling – either get up and do something, or tap out. Enough of this. You’ve been in the limelight too long.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MadMax said:

To the media darling – either get up and do something, or tap out. Enough of this. You’ve been in the limelight too long.

You don't suppose Wilson has a Jim Kirk or Jurga brother on UE do you? :lol:  How do we get this message too them?

Always insightful, but...........................looks like @MadMax may be bored today.................or could weather have him confined indoors and more apt to be on the computer? :shrug:

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm.................

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

@JimKirk If you are between sizes on the Cobalt skully is it better to go up or down a size? Thanks!

Good question. Would assume up.

We just developed a new Facebook group for those who are wearing, going to wear or highly interested in cobalt items such as the skullcap and chest protector.

That might be a question there you could pose that could be answered by the group better than I at this time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/376616286660443/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

NO ...........they're isn't a person for W ...... but .....  @JimKirk could pass it along!

I pass along so much of what you guys share, without you even knowing. My antennas are always out!

I am also fortunate that I have a direct line to most of the suppliers heads of development (or one person away), and that they trust me.

I would like to add that I have a very good relationship with Jason Klein of Force3. One thing you may not know is that, many of the products they offer undergo slight changes from year to year without you really knowing. That is because they are always listening and willing to improve and make things better. Jason has a very good forward-thinking and umpire-specific mindset. Another super-sharp leader in the industry who truly cares.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Good question. Would assume up.

We just developed a new Facebook group for those who are wearing, going to wear or highly interested in cobalt items such as the skullcap and chest protector.

That might be a question there you could pose that could be answered by the group better than I at this time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/376616286660443/

I would definitely recommend ordering The skullcap larger if you are in between sizes. The padding is attached to the Shell by velcro. If it’s a little too big, you can simply add some two-sided Velcro to perfect the fit. If it’s too small, you can’t make it bigger.

eventually, replacement padding will be available,so you can perfect the fit  

47 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

I would like to add that I have a very good relationship with Jason Klein of Force3. . . . Jason has a very good forward-thinking and umpire-specific mindset. Another super-sharp leader in the industry who truly cares.

Kudos! Besides being a great former pro umpire, he's also a genuinely nice human being as well. He was one of the instructors at the Desert Classic a few years ago, and I still carry more than one of his thoughts around with me in my bag (as well as a mask, back-up CP, shin guards, and a couple of bags).

However . . . I did pull the trigger on the Cobalt CP instead of the newer F3 V-3--and UPS says its supposed to be at my doorstep tomorrow evening--looking forward to having a questionable catcher in the near future, so I can hopefully get pummeled :-)  Still haven't got hit with my still shiny F-2 mask to compare the blunt force trauma to the F-1, but I have no fears there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

... or could weather have him confined indoors and more apt to be on the computer?

Heh. Not quite... I’m in the waning stages of a baseball season on the road. The road miles are starting to wear me down, but this latest product release has got me energized. I’ll be taking a month off “serious” baseball, but will resume in October.

Oh, may I also toss out there... this will mark 22 weeks of COVID-free baseball for me. No on-field COVID mechanics, positioning, or protocols, no contraction of the virus, no known exposure to the virus. And even if it’s on the same field as me, I haven’t deviated in my routines to keep myself, and my crews (plural) nominally safe and operating cleanly.

Take heart! The virus ain’t in baseball!

2 hours ago, JimKirk said:

I will be getting all 4 products (gradually), not only to try them out, evaluate, and review them, but also to put into active use – especially the CP. How @BT_Blue (Arik) managed to keep quiet about having one of the beta units concerns me; there might be something wrong with him now. ;) Upon trying one on myself, I actually said “Game. Set. Match.” It addresses the exact few fine points that my vaunted Schutt-Adams XV has as... I can’t say flaws... but as points-for-improvement.

I already have the FM4000-Steel (have had for 6-7 years now), recently equipped with LUC-Mag pads, so I’m going to continue to extol its virtues. Will I get a FM4K-Mag (shouldn’t we just call it a FM5K?) sometime? Yes, but that won’t be for a bit... 

The Skuly is the most intriguing product in the array, to me. Finally, someone gets it! That we umpires shouldn’t wear a skullcap backwards, that we need a shorter brim, and that we need and deserve better protection and fit than a leather band and a puck of foam. What else I am encouraged by is that MLB guys are taking to it, thus eclipsing the pervasive misconception that “if the Big League guys don’t use it, it ain’t acceptable, and ain’t for me (or us, collectively, such as an association)”.

I will get the Skuly more to exhibit and demonstrate it to others, especially those colleagues who over-fixate on the chances of getting hit on the top of the head... from foul balls... bouncing off a close backstop, clamshell (AKA turtleshell), or over-plate netting. :HS I’ll also be wearing it for college games so as have the proper, safe headwear... instead of an 8-stitch hat!

Lastly, the shinguards, based on how light and conforming they appear to be, may be useful to take the wear and tear off my bulletproof Force3 Ultimates. I’m not overly concerned about it, but they don’t yet have equitable ankle protection to the Golds, Platinums and Ultimates. I do admire that All-Star didn’t try and fool us by sticking needless tarsal-guards on them.

I’m on the verge of launching my own video series. It’ll be a little rough to start with, since despite my graphic design and IT background, I haven’t stayed on top of cameras and equipment like I should have. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

How @BT_Blue (Arik) managed to keep quiet about having one of the beta units concerns me; there might be something wrong with him now. ;) 

Let's be honest here. It would have been tougher if I actually had gotten to strap it on. Rather than getting to pull it out of the box. Then putting it in the garage with the rest of the new (truly new and some of it new to me) gear I didn't get to use this season.

But I'm also showing I can keep my mouth shut. It makes it more fun because it allows me to see some stuff that is coming down the road that will be lots of fun.

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Let's be honest here. It would have been tougher if I actually had gotten to strap it on. Rather than getting to pull it out of the box. Then putting it in the garage with the rest of the new (truly new and some of it new to me) gear I didn't get to use this season.

But I'm also showing I can keep my mouth shut. It makes it more fun because it allows me to see some stuff that is coming down the road that will be lots of fun.

I’m still surprised that I was able to keep my mouth shut too. Only people who knew I had the prototype was my NWL crew and @MadMax, who saw it for about 2 minutes 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tpatience said:

I’m still surprised that I was able to keep my mouth shut too. Only people who knew I had the prototype was my NWL crew and @MadMax, who saw it for about 2 minutes 

I'm just shocked they didn't include Max on this in the first place!   I mean he would be the first guy I would ask for opinions on new equipment... probably along with Ray also.  

39 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Trevor ..... insight, thoughts, etc?  Inquiring minds want to know! ;) 

Great rig. I can’t wear it with the extension bc it flares out on me. I’m gonna try to work out a custom fix to get it to stay against my body. Otherwise, solid rig and would recommend to anybody 

2 hours ago, tpatience said:

Great rig. I can’t wear it with the extension bc it flares out on me. I’m gonna try to work out a custom fix to get it to stay against my body. Otherwise, solid rig and would recommend to anybody 

Here's something that I've used on Douglas rigs with the same problem.  I had an extra elastic strap made, then put on a simple plastic buckle.  I put it around me and buckled it, then slide the buckle around where it wouldn't be impacted.  It kept the rig tighter to my chest and prevented the "flared" look.  It should work fine on this rig too.

4 hours ago, tpatience said:

who saw it for about 2 minutes

That’s all it took. Game. Set. Match (to use Tennis & Volleyball references, which is all Wilson’s good for now). Only thing I evaluated and bought faster was my Tuft & Needle (www.tn.com) mattress. I flopped down on one, and 30 seconds later, was buying one. One of the 3 most crucial purchases I made upon moving to Phoenix.

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I'm just shocked they didn't include Max on this in the first place!

I’m flattered, but I have a hunch that I don’t have Facebook (and never will), and thus, I fly under the radar for most of these things. I’m looking to change that soon, with expansion of my LinkedIn profile to include more gear tinkering and umpiring topics, and creation of a YouTube Channel. 

Of course, I’d love to be a part of gear talks and gear think-tanks. :HS

It made much more sense to place a beta-unit with @tpatience, because not only is he technically sound as a fellow gear tinkerer, but he’s... unique!... at 6’6” and slim-framed, yet being school-trained, has an advanced plate stance that relies upon all his gear components working just as soundly as “the rest of us”.

3 hours ago, tpatience said:

I’m gonna try to work out a custom fix to get it to stay against my body.

I think this is where we get @Razzer involved. My thought is to commission Ray to make a taller harness (by 3”-4”), with another set of straps on it to encompass around the extension, like the main straps, to secure into two more side-release buckles which I would build and locate on the set of rivets on the extension, mimicking the primary buckles on the main body. This would be a one-off harness, but perhaps there may be enough demand for Ray to offer this taller “landcrab” style.

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

I think this is where we get @Razzer involved. My thought is to commission Ray to make a taller harness (by 3”-4”), with another set of straps on it to encompass around the extension, like the main straps, to secure into two more side-release buckles which I would build and locate on the set of rivets on the extension, mimicking the primary buckles on the main body. This would be a one-off harness, but perhaps there may be enough demand for Ray to offer this taller “landcrab” style.

Okay, now I’ve been thinking of a need for a change here too.

I’d like to see a harness and/or CP with 2 attachment points for connection! One around the lower belly/ribs and one up nearer the armpits. I think this would help promote a snug, slimming fit and actually be safer since it would effectively eliminate pockets of air between the CP and wearer.  Also, the CP would be more comfortable to wear.  

All Star does a good job of hugging the shoulders more, but I’d like to see the back of most CP’s come down a bit further still, say 6-8 inches down the upper back so a harness would really attach well with more rigidity.  Then, the two connections could ensure a fit so well that you’d forget you had a CP on. No matter what harness I use now, I still feel the need to adjust up or down more frequently than I should. I’ve been thinking of talking with Ray or trying to come up with something more alike to a football shoulder pad harness and here you go and mention it!

For example, my 15” Douglas definitely needed a second connection to keep it snug against my upper chest since the t-hook plate was at the bottom. So, I just used a second elastic strap with a plastic buckle to secure the middle section to my upper chest, a few inches beneath my arm pits. I kept wishing I’d go back to Douglas and buy/order a second t-hook plate for the middle section so it’d fit me better. Now, my fit is off due to my belly, but some need that second connection for height.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Okay, now I’ve been thinking of a need for a change here too.

I’d like to see a harness and/or CP with 2 attachment points for connection! One around the lower belly/ribs and one up nearer the armpits. I think this would help promote a snug, slimming fit and actually be safer since it would effectively eliminate pockets of air between the CP and wearer.  Also, the CP would be more comfortable to wear.  

All Star does a good job of hugging the shoulders more, but I’d like to see the back of most CP’s come down a bit further still, say 6-8 inches down the upper back so a harness would really attach well with more rigidity.  Then, the two connections could ensure a fit so well that you’d forget you had a CP on. No matter what harness I use now, I still feel the need to adjust up or down more frequently than I should. I’ve been thinking of talking with Ray or trying to come up with something more alike to a football shoulder pad harness and here you go and mention it!

For example, my 15” Douglas definitely needed a second connection to keep it snug against my upper chest since the t-hook plate was at the bottom. So, I just used a second elastic strap with a plastic buckle to secure the middle section to my upper chest, a few inches beneath my arm pits. I kept wishing I’d go back to Douglas and buy/order a second t-hook plate for the middle section so it’d fit me better. Now, my fit is off due to my belly, but some need that second connection for height.

Here’s a pic of the back of the Cobalt. @tpatience with the photo credit 

E28443A9-A173-4B49-9BBE-A937774706B2.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tpatience said:

Does it work? 

For what I use it for, absolutely.

I have a bulging disc in my back, and on those chilly February days at the start of the season, the jarring motion of running darn near incapacitates me. I use it like you would a back brace for lifting heavy things - just to give me some support so I can move like I should.

It does make me look better in my uniform, too, for that matter. But only under the uniform. When I tried it on to begin with, SWMBO told me I shouldn't ever wear it in her presence again if I ever wanted ... anything from her.

• Haha 3

On 9/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, Matt Arcovio said:

Here’s a pic of the back of the Cobalt. @tpatience with the photo credit 

E28443A9-A173-4B49-9BBE-A937774706B2.png

I think a shorter top strap using elastic would have been better also a double rivet would add more strength. Snug for the top and just comfortable for the sides. Using webbing is a not the ideal solutions, it will be too restrictive and not offer the comfort or flex you need.

• Like 1

One thing sticks out

Amazing how the wannabees tried to sabotage a product launch like they had something to do with it

Misled everyone but it is clear as day they were never part of this product or the development of it

Business 101 is not to lose money on every pre-order

They also will not have any stock for a long time

Get a refund now 

Rob Peter to pay Paul is their motto

Rip Off Products and have the balls to say they developed it

They just took your game fee + knowing hey cannot deliver which will cost you more in the long run because they have no clue what the dealer cost is.

• Like 1