Catcher asking about strike zone pre-game

Recontra
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1205 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had some questions raised mid-game in a recent Men’s League (Men Behaving Badly) game about my strike zone. Got me to thinking about all the different and conflicting things I’ve heard from instructors and mentors over the years about discussing strike zones pre-game with catchers (you know, when we’re chatting, if at all, while we look at 4 pitches from each starter pre-game). So, here’s what I got, a memory from 4 years ago.

Just one catcher in all these years ever asked me pre-game what my strike zone looked like. “Mike, can I ask what your strike zone looks like?” Just one. He was very nice about it, so I answered. And here’s what I said:  “Imagine J.Lo’s hips.” And he said, “I can do that! A little tighter up and down, but much wider in the power zone . . . not so much inside, though, right, Mike?”  “Yup.” “We’re going to get along just fine, Mike.”

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 4:28 AM, Recontra said:

Just one catcher in all these years ever asked me pre-game what my strike zone looked like. “Mike, can I ask what your strike zone looks like?” Just one. He was very nice about it, so I answered. And here’s what I said:  “Imagine J.Lo’s hips.” And he said, “I can do that! A little tighter up and down, but much wider in the power zone . . . not so much inside, though, right, Mike?”  “Yup.” “We’re going to get along just fine, Mike.”

I've been asked that question exactly once, that I can remember, over the years.  And it was a coach at a plate meeting in a rec-ball or travel-ball game, or something along that level.  It was along the lines of "what's your zone like?"

A) Not wanting to have that conversation, so it could get shoved up my ass during the game by either dugout, and B) being a wise-ass as a general rule, my reply:  "Well, we'll all find out in about five minutes, won't we?"

• Haha 2

If I were a coach (and, by the grace of GOD, I am not one and never will be one) I would never ask (nor have my catcher ask) this question.  For, in my umpiring career I have seen too many umpires verbally describe their strike zone (whether it be to other umpires or to a coach/player) as being one thing, only to see them go out and call a strike zone that is the complete opposite.  

It is my experience that if one, for whatever reason, has a desire to be covered from head-to-toe in bullSH*#, one should listen to one of his fellow umpires describe their strike zone.

(Not saying that there aren't any umpires who accurately describe their strike zone...but they are in the minority. LOL)

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 5:19 PM, HokieUmp said:

It was along the lines of "what's your zone like?"

“Warm cookies, cold beers, and walks along the beach.” ... said as deadpan and factual as possible. 

Ask a vapid question, get a vapid answer. 

I once had a local league “coach” ask me at the plate meeting “what’s your strike zone?”. My BU partner snapped his gaze towards him in surprise, while the opposing coach visibly winced and averted his eyes, as if he knew and didn’t want to watch the oncoming steamroller create a roadkill pancake. I replied with, “You’re about to find out.” 

His starting pitcher never found it. More pitches hit the backstop than actually got into the zone. 

And no, no bias was involved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the nose to the toes, and it's as big as Cecil Fielder's butt, so you better bring 'em up swinging!

Little League.  Often asked in tournaments!  If that doesn't work, I use "It is what it is!  And if you can't figure it out by the end of the 1st inning, you are not paying attention!"

It's called baiting the umpire, and they will figure it out!

Mike

Las Vegas

On 10/24/2020 at 9:06 AM, Tborze said:

Coach: What's your strike zone?

Ump: When you're on offense or defense?

I usually respond with the classic "best recommendation, swing the bat." But I feel like I should try this next chance I get. Lol

• 2 months later...

Called a strike on a pitch just off the outside in a Men's League game. Had the batter (self-professed second coming of Jeter)simply asked quietly while looking forward if that was the edge of my zone he would've gotten the same consideration in return. But he decided to take a step toward me and yell, "Jesus, is that the very edge of your zone?" My answer, "It was, but it ain't now."