Question for All Star System 7 users

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1331 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Bought mine in Dec. Got it out of the shipping crap strapped it on and adjusted up for it to feel comfortable.

Wore it yesterday 1st time in the 1st game I got to plate this year.  Liked how it felt and wore, does seem "large" like I know I will need to wear a 2 x shirt to fit around it better the 1x was a little too tight and not tall enough. was having an issue staying tucked in, in the back.

But I did take one shot lefty fouled one inside pitch near straight back, catcher missed it and I caught it 2 inches left and 1 inch up from my belly button. Missed everything and hit my gut pretty solid stung a bit but eh no biggie.

So Questions.

1. How does this do in the heat?  It was low 70's ie 72 yesterday and it felt pretty "warm" in it. Not too bad, but yeah Im outta shape.. But seemed a lot warmer than my champro system I 1st started in

2. Do they make an extension?  I did not mind the 10yr old foul back but some 12 yr old I know I would not like to have taken that shot.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, ArchAngel72 said:

But I did take one shot lefty fouled one inside pitch near straight back, catcher missed it and I caught it 2 inches left and 1 inch up from my belly button. Missed everything and hit my gut pretty solid stung a bit but eh no biggie.

I'm not critiquing you, so please don't take it that way, but I've done hundreds of games and I think I have only taken one gut shot in all that time and it was a bouncer off the plate that the catcher whiffed on.   What stance are you using?  If you are in the slot and crouching to get the proper head height it really makes it difficult to take a direct stomach shot.  Normally, when I am hit it is up by the shoulders, mask, or down near the ankles.  From knees to ribs, I seldom catch anything - unless it's a bouncer. (I know I just jinxed myself for this).

Oh, I just remembered that I did get a cup check on Monday night at Babe Ruth.  My favorite thing to hear when I'm behind the plate? It's the 4th inning and the catcher comes out with gear barely hanging on him... "Hi, this is my first time catching" :shrug:  Needless to say, first pitch was inside fast ball that he didn't even touch, I'm not sure he even moved at all, and smacked me right on my Diamond MMA cup.

The good news is the cup check was successful!  I have high regards for this new Diamond MMA system.  It's a A+ and doesn't move all game. In the field or behind the plate, you are covered and it won't move.  I switched over from the Nutty Buddy system because the MMA cup is more comfortable to wear.

Full circle, the CPU4000 15" is the largest they make and there's not an attachment for more.  If you really need more coverage, then I'd recommend using a football back plate (by Russell, Schutt, etc.) and attach it to the bottom of your CP using Chicago Screws or rivets.  They can be had for $15-25 on eBay.  The back plates come with a plastic extension with holes for attaching them to other pads, so all you'll need to do is drill two holes into your CP and attach the back plate to the CP. 

18 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I'm not critiquing you, so please don't take it that way, but I've done hundreds of games and I think I have only taken one gut shot in all that time and it was a bouncer off the plate that the catcher whiffed on.   What stance are you using?  If you are in the slot and crouching to get the proper head height it really makes it difficult to take a direct stomach shot.  Normally, when I am hit it is up by the shoulders, mask, or down near the ankles.  From knees to ribs, I seldom catch anything - unless it's a bouncer. (I know I just jinxed myself for this).

Oh, I just remember I did get a cup check on Monday night at Babe Ruth.  My favorite thing to hear when I'm behind the plate? It's the 4th inning and the catcher comes out with gear barely hanging on him... "Hi, this is my first time catching" :shrug:  Needless to say, first pitch was inside fast ball that he didn't even touch, I'm not sure he even moved at all, and smacked me right on my Diamond MMA cup.

The good news is the cup check was successful!  I have high regards for this new Diamond MMA system.  It's a A+ and doesn't move all game. In the field or behind the plate, you are covered and it won't move.  I switched over from the Nutty Buddy system because the MMA cup is more comfortable to wear.

Full circle, the CPU4000 15" is the largest they make and there's not an attachment for more.  If you really need more coverage, then I'd recommend using a football back plate (by Russell, Schutt, etc.) and attach it to the bottom of your CP using Chicago Screws or rivets.  They can be had for $15-25 on eBay.  The back plates come with a plastic extension with holes for attaching them to other pads, so all you'll need to do is drill two holes into your CP and attach the back plate to the CP. 

Don't get an extension for a 15" All-Star System 7 .....it's not needed!   I can count on one hand how many times I've ever caught a 'bouncing' ball underneath the CP .... it stings a little, sure, but .... it's not "IMPORTANT" .... as long as your ribs are protected, you're fine (which they are).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, BT_Blue said:

I would say, regarding the heat and how it handles it, this might be something for @grayhawk to chime in on as the resident expert on using the System7.

It handles heat relatively well. The channel between the pads helps, but this is a pretty heavy rig and it can only dissipate heat so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have worn either the All Star S7 or the Douglas for 10 years.  I am not convinced that any CP is good in the heat. Prior to this I used a Gold, Platinum and a Champion. With the S7 I like that it hangs from the shoulders.  I kept the two I have because they fit me and are protective.  Getting hit every now again is an occupational hazard.  Sometimes you just got to wear it.  Embrace the suck.  

" An umpire is a person that's wears $500 worth of gear and gets hit where he wears $0.05 of sunscreen."  

On 8/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, wolfe_man said:

Oh, I just remember I did get a cup check on Monday night at Babe Ruth.  My favorite thing to hear when I'm behind the plate? It's the 4th inning and the catcher comes out with gear barely hanging on him... "Hi, this is my first time catching" :shrug:  Needless to say, first pitch was inside fast ball that he didn't even touch, I'm not sure he even moved at all, and smacked me right on my Diamond MMA cup.

I was in the slot. My stance is wide because my diabetic neuropathy has messed up my legs bad enough I could probably not wear shin pads and so long as its not the meaty part of my calves, get away with getting hit.  Although the muscle part still has some feeling specially when hit directly. anyway  back to my stance my base is wider than most sometimes exaggerated on the real little tykes. But I try to get my head down eyes even with the top of the zone.  My 1st game back so I won't tell you I was perfect I may have been at shoulder height.. ( TO BE BLUNT I should have called those strikes at the 10yr old level LOL)  But anyway  it was a low inside pitch the kid just tipped and it barely and I mean Barely missed the protector, I do think it hit the very edge of it.   But with my ole Dad Bod it hit the gut square.. I do have a Champro system and got the lower body extension.  I am positive that would have absorbed that shot.  So I was merely asking if they S7 had one. 

to add to this quandry of questions.  those very top plastic pieces covering between the shoulder and the chest piece.   Do folks remove them?  I did notice the seem to restrict arm movement straight up over head quite a bit more than I like.

21 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

No problem, you’re good man. Live and learn more each game. Get them next time out!

A lot of us remove the “wings”. Again, we are very seldom hit there and when it does happen it’s mostly muscle/blubber right there, not bone so it should only be a bruise at worst. :home:

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, kylejt said:

For shirt "stability" I use these on my plate shirts and LEO uniforms. 

https://www.amazon.com/Stirrup-Style-Loop-Shirt-Stays/dp/B08FVJBY89

I had looked at the ones on ump-attire  was debating it.  Just honestly ..  My own dumb mistake I wear a XL normal. But when I put on pads I jump up to a 2xl to help with any bulk of the pads.  That day I was not scheduled to be plate and well we had drops and I had to pick it up. Wisely I had my gear, stupidly I left the shirt on the rack at home.  :Facepalm:

So I stretched the XL over every thing and I looked like a stuffed sausage.  

12 hours ago, kylejt said:

Just be advised that if you go that route, the order you put your gear on will change. I was quite baffled the first time I used them, and had drop my drawers several time. 

I'm curious, what changes in the order?

I arrive to most games in pants and black/red T-shirt depending on HS game or not.  I always have extra T-shirts and jerseys in my vehicle.  I switch to plate/base pants as soon as I know my position for this game. Cup system goes in place at time of putting on my pants.

Gear order: 

1. shins
  2. shoes
  3. belt
  4. ball bag(s)
  5. indicator & plate brush
  6. CP
  7. shirt
  8. hat
  9. mask
  10. UL lineup card folder when applicable

Do you put your "stirrups" on after your shins or before your shins?   I'd think after them.  I think you'd want to put the "stirrups" on around step 9, correct?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, kylejt said:

Just be advised that if you go that route, the order you put your gear on will change. I was quite baffled the first time I used them, and had drop my drawers several time. 

Ok yeah I usually go 

At work in the bathroom

1 socks

2 jock

3 pants

4 undershirt

ride to field

5 ball bag

6 plate shoes

7 shin guard

8 install cup

9 cp

10 Shirt over Cp

11 note pad n pen, counter in front left pocket and brush in BB..

12 Cap n mask

Im thinking I need to install stirrups after 7 and finish them after 10