Official 2-Minute Review: Tifosi Intense Sunglasses

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1301 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Thanks for the kind words LRZ. I'm just an optician. I'm not a doctor. That's the optometrist.  When people want to know the difference between am optician and an optometrist, I tell them about 100K a year.  :D

This isn't a review, just some optical facts a few tidbits that caught my attention as an eyecare guy... 

I don't think the lenses are polarized, or they would say so. That is your best lens for reducing glare. Though these look like they have a mirror coating on the front, that reduces some glare as well. That said, polarized are not a must on a ballfield, as Oakley has demonstrated quite well with their Prizm Field lenses. 

The 2 minute review said something about the repelling water and sweat, and reducing glare...Probably an anti-reflective coating? I don't know. I'd hope the back has "AR" on it. Most mirrored lenses do, otherwise reflection becomes an issue. Lenses that repel water have what's called a "Hydrophobic coating". Most all mirror and anti-reflective coatings have at least some hydrophobic properties. That's a good thing...Less smudging....

Which brings me to your "features" writeup. I don't think "Hydrophilic" is the word you want to describe the rubber nose pads and temple ends...

hydrophilic
  1. having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water. The opposite of hydrophobic. 

I'm thinking Hydrophobic is the word your looking for there. The rubber doesn't get wet and slippery from your sweat. 
    Hydrophilic is what a moisture wicking fabric would do. 
    EDIT- OK, I went to their website. They say the rubber grips better when it gets wet, so hydrophilic would be correct. I was thinking the rubber was coated to stay dry and hold its grip. 

I must say I get a kick out of advertising....the term "optically decentered for less distortion". Wow, that sounds impressive.  A lens with no Rx, cannot really be "decentered", (unless the lens is aspheric. But let's not get into a optical science lecture here. Suffice it to say, wrap, no Rx sun lenses are not aspheric) An optical center is the point on a prescription lens where the power is the sharpest and lens is the clearest. This point is usually "decentered" on a Rx lens to line up in front of your pupil. (Because on most frames, your pupils sit closer to the inside of the frame, not directly in the center of the lens)..There is no such point to decenter on a non Rx lens. And to "decenter" a lens when you don't know the distance between the end user's eyes amuses me.  

Anyway, besides the "decentered" claim..25 bucks.. Mirrored lens with a AR coat on the back, light flexible frame. I'd say a good deal.   I wouldn't compare such a lens to an Oakley prizm lens, but that's a whole different price point. 

• Like 3

On 8/22/2020 at 11:31 PM, Richvee said:

Thanks for the kind words LRZ. I'm just an optician. I'm not a doctor. That's the optometrist.  When people want to know the difference between am optician and an optometrist, I tell them about 100K a year.  :D

This isn't a review, just some optical facts a few tidbits that caught my attention as an eyecare guy... 

I don't think the lenses are polarized, or they would say so. That is your best lens for reducing glare. Though these look like they have a mirror coating on the front, that reduces some glare as well. That said, polarized are not a must on a ballfield, as Oakley has demonstrated quite well with their Prizm Field lenses. 

The 2 minute review said something about the repelling water and sweat, and reducing glare...Probably an anti-reflective coating? I don't know. I'd hope the back has "AR" on it. Most mirrored lenses do, otherwise reflection becomes an issue. Lenses that repel water have what's called a "Hydrophobic coating". Most all mirror and anti-reflective coatings have at least some hydrophobic properties. That's a good thing...Less smudging....

Which brings me to your "features" writeup. I don't think "Hydrophilic" is the word you want to describe the rubber nose pads and temple ends...

hydrophilic
  1. having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water. The opposite of hydrophobic. 

I'm thinking Hydrophobic is the word your looking for there. The rubber doesn't get wet and slippery from your sweat. 
    Hydrophilic is what a moisture wicking fabric would do. 
    EDIT- OK, I went to their website. They say the rubber grips better when it gets wet, so hydrophilic would be correct. I was thinking the rubber was coated to stay dry and hold its grip. 

I must say I get a kick out of advertising....the term "optically decentered for less distortion". Wow, that sounds impressive.  A lens with no Rx, cannot really be "decentered", (unless the lens is aspheric. But let's not get into a optical science lecture here. Suffice it to say, wrap, no Rx sun lenses are not aspheric) An optical center is the point on a prescription lens where the power is the sharpest and lens is the clearest. This point is usually "decentered" on a Rx lens to line up in front of your pupil. (Because on most frames, your pupils sit closer to the inside of the frame, not directly in the center of the lens)..There is no such point to decenter on a non Rx lens. And to "decenter" a lens when you don't know the distance between the end user's eyes amuses me.  

Anyway, besides the "decentered" claim..25 bucks.. Mirrored lens with a AR coat on the back, light flexible frame. I'd say a good deal.   I wouldn't compare such a lens to an Oakley prizm lens, but that's a whole different price point. 

Very impressive! Thank you @Richvee, I just learned a lot!!

• Thanks 1