Can anyone ID these pants?

Hi, all! Hope everyone is well! I saw these pants about two weeks ago and can’t seem to find them. I thought they were Davis’, but I know that those usually have three belt loops in the back. Put pic below for reference, especially the black button. Thanks, y’all! 

6AD8C9B7-8F7A-49DA-AA17-61143F57BB9F.jpeg

I don't mean to be be mean, but are you serious?   I can barely see any pants in this pic.

If it's an MLB umpire, they're probably Fechheimer.

FWIW, Davis does have 3 loops in the middle of the back, so probably not them.  They are among the darkest pants available to us amateur umpires though.  I'm afraid the black button could actually be grey, just due to a lack of light it looks darker.

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

I don't mean to be be mean, but are you serious?   I can barely see any pants in this pic.

No, you’re good. I have this strange thing about my base pants that I prefer them to have two belt loops instead of the three. It’s weird, I know, but just one of those weird personal preferences. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

6 minutes ago, sd181612 said:

No, you’re good. I have this strange thing about my base pants that I prefer them to have two belt loops instead of the three. It’s weird, I know, but just one of those weird personal preferences. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

Okay, thanks.  And no need to be sorry about personal preferences, we all have them and we like what we like.  I'm not a big fan of the 3-loop either.  I get they want them to stand out, but not my thing.

What level of ball was this umpire working on the pic? I'm going to guess college as I see a wrist-watch and what appears to be a stopwatch cord going down towards the pocket. The thing is, I thought the college guys were wearing the Smitty's.... or maybe Honig's?

3 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Okay, thanks.  And no need to be sorry about personal preferences, we all have them and we like what we like.  I'm not a big fan of the 3-loop either.  I get they want them to stand out, but not my thing.

What level of ball was this umpire working on the pic? I'm going to guess college as I see a wrist-watch and what appears to be a stopwatch cord going down towards the pocket. The thing is, I thought the college guys were wearing the Smitty's.... or maybe Honig's?

It was MLB, which I was surprised seeing the two timing methods as well, unless, of course, one’s to close those rings. I found a slightly better picture since pretty much the whole trouser visible (another MLB picture as well). 

95389F5B-6ABD-48D0-AF40-C63701947A7E.jpeg

MiLB wears Smitty according to the below source. They have a grey button though.

https://www.ump-attire.com/catalog.html?page=1&perpage=28&cat=0&orderby=relevance desc&brand=&search=charcoal poly spandex umpire pants

Gerry Davis has a black button on their pants, but they have the 3 loops.

https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B08PTMLB002BA/MLB-Pro-Style-Base-Umpire-Pants.html?cid=328

11 minutes ago, Chris Hickman said:

These are GD Fech poly spandex.  The middle loop has been removed and 2 additional loops added.  Best pant currently made.

FE43EBA4-2F4F-4C3A-AD6F-4C394E3732FA.jpeg

Mr. Hickman, what makes the GD Fech poly spandex so superior? (Not challenging you, I'm just curious because I just bought 2 pair of Smitty 4 way polys this spring which I have been very pleased with...)

~Dog

1 hour ago, Chris Hickman said:

These are GD Fech poly spandex.  The middle loop has been removed and 2 additional loops added.  Best pant currently made.

FE43EBA4-2F4F-4C3A-AD6F-4C394E3732FA.jpeg

Are they the same color and material as the regular ugly GD pants?

I think the BIG question is, are the base pants as floppy as the Smitty? That was my only real beef with the Smittys, the base pants are way too wide. 

And yeah, if baseball wasn't postponed until next March, I'd order a pair or two of those new GD pants. 

11 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

FWIW, Davis does have 3 loops in the middle of the back, so probably not them.  They are among the darkest pants available to us amateur umpires though.  I'm afraid the black button could actually be grey, just due to a lack of light it looks darker.

Just as a heads up - GD size 32 only have two belt loops, not three. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think with the GD and Smitty you are going to get some floppyness due to the material… These are not gonna lay heavy like poly-wools.  There is nothing wrong with the Smitty Pant.... I just think more care went into making the Fech.  The taper in the base pant (GD) is much better than Smitty. GD has a nicer waistband and a better adjustable waist system.  When the GD’s are $69.90 I don’t mind spending the xtra 20 bucks… My advise one these pants is to get a 2 inch hem and have the tailor fold under as much material as possible to make the pant heavier at the bottom.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Chris Hickman said:

My advise one these pants is to get a 2 inch hem and have the tailor fold under as much material as possible to make the pant heavier at the bottom.  

The trick of the trade, right here. Alternatively, I’ve had my seamstress sew in a “band” of fabric tape to add weight.

The pants in question can’t be Honig’s PolySpandex. Honig’s chose to source an even lighter material than the other producers for their new slacks, and it has the heft of strong tissue paper. Really. You’re left wondering how this will ever hold up to the wear and tear of a series. It also has a striated, textured look to it, reminiscent of... true heather grey.

Now now, before you recoil in horror ( @JimKirk), the color (or tint, or hue) is more charcoal than the light grey that “heather grey” was known for, but it’s noticeably different than Smitty’s or Davis’s. The much lighter material seems to aerate and dry faster than my Smitty’s PolSax’s, so I’ve relegated them to my hot day game pants.

Two things to point out, @sd181612, regarding your “grail” search of pants worn by MLB guys:

1. They are new, or unwashed by common detergents
  2. They are custom tailored by true pro outfitters

I’ve seen the second in action. He’s a tailor from the “Old Country” named Frank (short for Francesco), or a seamstress named Irma who is 4th generation, whose ancestor probably sewed the details on a military officer’s dress jacket, and they’re using an industrial sewing machine still operating from the time of the sinking of the Titanic. You will find no equal in quality.

• Like 3
On 8/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, MadMax said:

Now now, before you recoil in horror ( @JimKirk

I have never recoiled in horror @MadMax! Maybe flinched a little. ;)

@Chris Hickman beat me to this.

The MLB pants are typically going to be GD/Fecheimer (middle or no middle loop).

At one time, some MLB guys were still wearing the Smitty they kept when Poly spandex were being field tested there.

Inside scoop, the Smitty’s and PS material passed the test 8 umpires were doing - in 2017 I believe it was - but Smitty/us at the time chose to pass on MLB’s requirement that each pant be pre-made to everyone’s spec vs tailoring already-made pants like the NBA & Smitty do...bet some of you did not know all that.

• Like 1

For me, the Honigs poly wools made by Hardwick (pre 2012ish maybe) are still the gold standard. Im lucky to still have a few in great shape.  I’m not nuts about the poly spandex material for many reasons.

One interesting thing I noticed when I ordered the GD Fech poly spandex pants are that the plate pants don’t have the extra stitching around the seat area. I’ve noticed the MLB guys plate pants do have this extra feature.