Better Luck Next Year

aaluck
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 693 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know that for all of us on here, this baseball year was a big disappointment. I'd guess that we ranged from no games to a bunch. I ended up doing about 14 games where I would normally do 6-8 a week, or as many as I wanted to squeeze in.

Let's hope that next spring we can get back to the great rule/situation discussions of the past. I, for one, miss that. 

• Like 1

I got exactly zero in. We were scheduled for scrimmages the weekend everything went to pot. So I got exactly nada.

What is worse. Is that during the shutdown, I have acquired some new toys that I won't be able to use until next season most likely. As the season normally ends in about a month or a month and a half.

Here we got in about 2 weeks of HS ball before everything stopped.  After that they did open Dixie youth for about one month. We also have perfect game here in Birmingham and they have been wide open (6-7 days a week) since mid-June.  My son has worked about 20 games a week (110+ total) up there.

I had 3 softball games last month when a colleague needed me as a sub after an unexpected family situation came up. Barring a similar situation this month, I probably won't umpire again until the school season in Spring 2021.

In the meantime, I'm curious to see what kind of basketball schedule, if any, I end up with for the Fall and Winter.

Got about 40 games in since middle of June. Already scheduled for 20 games for the Fall tournament season. Will be down about 50% this year but not complaining. Thought no ball was going to be played here in Western PA earlier in the season. Actually Saturday will be the first time calling from behind the mound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 17 games of JuCo and NAIA in before the shutdown, and I just counted another 45 afterwards. June 1 my schedule was empty, and by June 5 I was pretty much booked solid through the last week of July.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Umped 91 games from June 27 through today (8/16).  Trying to squeeze in as many as I can - hope to get a lot of fall ball in! The weather has been great, as far as only two days of rain outs.  

That's great to hear.  From the 2-4 posts above seems like folks are getting a good number of games.

Did 2 games so far  2nd/3rd in a 3 man  and 3rd in a 4 man

2 blow outs by mercy rule

21-0 after 2.5

other was ?  10+ runs in the bottom of the 4th  think it was 18 to 4 or something similar

felt good to get out on the field I was nervous but I was with "younger less experienced/schooled/ and age" kids.  So it was a little teaching on the side.  Made me feel much better and eased into it. 

Only thing that sucked was climbing outta the pit that the field was in going up that 80 foot hill killed my calves after the 2nd game.  YEP outta shape 4 sure

On 8/13/2020 at 12:57 AM, BT_Blue said:

I got exactly zero in. We were scheduled for scrimmages the weekend everything went to pot. So I got exactly nada.

What is worse. Is that during the shutdown, I have acquired some new toys that I won't be able to use until next season most likely. As the season normally ends in about a month or a month and a half.

This is how it worked for me also. My new toy was a $300 pair of Oakley prescription glasses. I finally got to use them while driving in the last couple of weeks. Wow, just wow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, LMSANS said:

This is how it worked for me also. My new toy was a $300 pair of Oakley prescription glasses. I finally got to use them while driving in the last couple of weeks. Wow, just wow.

my orders on Umpattire since dec 31st all of which I have not used even in the 2 games I have done so far.  I feel that pain believe you me.. I DO

Annotation 2020-08-18 151532.jpg

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

my orders on Umpattire since dec 31st all of which I have not used even in the 2 games I have done so far.  I feel that pain believe you me.. I DO

Annotation 2020-08-18 151532.jpg

I can laugh/cry with you as mine is similar... thought I'd pay it all off fast this year... but COVID said 'nope'.    My whopping 9-10 games aren't going to pay much of it.

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...