MLB Ejections 12-14 - Mahrley & Ted Barrett (OAK-HOU)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1324 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Nick Mahrley ejected Astros Manager Dusty Baker (strike two call; QOCY) and 1B Umpire Ted Barrett ejected A's CF Ramon Laureano and C Austin Allen (fighting) in the 7th inning of the #Astros-#Athletics game. With none out and none on in the top of the 7th, Astros batter Kyle Tucker took a...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Just one time, I'd like to see a guy wear one in a mid-high leverage moment...and just pick himself up and trot down to first like nothing happened. Just one time, it doesn't need to be an entire culture change...just one time.

I would also like to see a hockey player getting cleanly and totally run over on a check where there is no penalty and no injury...and not "take exception" to it.

~Dog

On 8/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Just one time, I'd like to see a guy wear one in a mid-high leverage moment...and just pick himself up and trot down to first like nothing happened. Just one time, it doesn't need to be an entire culture change...just one time.

I would also like to see a hockey player getting cleanly and totally run over on a check where there is no penalty and no injury...and not "take exception" to it.

~Dog

I get what you're saying, but don't expect any volunteers.   I'm not volunteering to be hit with an 78mph "off-speed" pitch and then go smiling down to the 1B.   That hurts and can put you out of action for a long time depending on where and what gets hit.  Now, with that said, I do think we're seeing more overreaction today for some reason, maybe it is our culture now to be more aggressive.   Used to be a time when players understood this was part of the game and they knew when it was intentional and when it wasn't.  Now, they're chippy if you even come inside at all.

I've heard old-timers talk about the unwritten rules to the game. You hit our guy, we're coming back and hitting 2 of yours.  I'm not a strict traditionalist, but there are some things that's been lost that I miss.  You can't send a message in the game today without suspensions and fines. I'm all for player safety, but there used to be policing done by the teams and players.  Now, the umpires and especially MLB have to get in the middle of everything.

Edit: This particular time was the third time that Laureano got hit in this series. One was up near his head and he didn't say antything then.  He didn't seem mad at the pitcher, but was offering him tips on how to snap his wrist to get more action and control. It was actually a little funny.   The whole benches-clearing kerfuffle then happened because the Astros hitting coach (Cintron) was running his mouth and egging it on and then stayed back when it came time to fight.

Update...so, Laureano is claiming that Alex Cintron (HOU hitting coach) made a comment disrespecting his mother.

I love my Mom. I do. I also know that if I came home from a game telling her that I got ejected for "defending her honor" because someone on the other team said some "mean words" about her, she'd be disappointed in me that I let my team and my coach down. She'd encourage me to maybe "consider" waiting for that person out in the parking lot...

All Laureano has done here is tell the league that you can get him removed from the game by insulting his mother...

34 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Update...so, Laureano is claiming that Alex Cintron (HOU hitting coach) made a comment disrespecting his mother.

I love my Mom. I do. I also know that if I came home from a game telling her that I got ejected for "defending her honor" because someone on the other team said some "mean words" about her, she'd be disappointed in me that I let my team and my coach down. She'd encourage me to maybe "consider" waiting for that person out in the parking lot...

All Laureano has done here is tell the league that you can get him removed from the game by insulting his mother...

Yes he needs to learn, but Laureano went on to explain that he hasn't gotten to spend much time with his family the last 10 years while pursuing his dream to play MLB.   As a result, he has deep respect and love for his family, especially his mother for allowing him to do what he loves.  Top it off with a lot of guys, especially with their Hispanic culture, have deep respect for their mothers and you can understand his response.

He will learn from it and I am positive this will not be a re-occurring thing.  It wouldn't have been as much of a problem here, except he wasn't thinking clearly after being hit 3 times in the series.  Hot blood is not very conductive to cool thinking.

Full disclosure: I am an Indians fan, but I don't think Laureano was some out-of-control savage here.  I think he responded as many would have done in a similar situation.  What I am curious to see is how many games he gets suspended for by MLB.  This is a BIG no-no in today's baseball due to COVID restrictions.  I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Cintron get 7-10 games each.

• Like 1

It got brought up in the thread about the weird ball in the Orioles game, but Jomboy did a really good breakdown of this. He makes some excellent points about the hitting coach starting this fight and I wonder if MLB will say or do anything about it. Laureano didn’t do anything until the astros coach came out of the dugout, hiked up his pants and egged on the fight. I understand Laureano has the responsibility to not react but he wasn’t in the right mindset to make that decision and it sure looked like the coach left his position and that is something I would like to be aware of and notice as an umpire, good thing to look out for. 

Funny Reply FTW, via Facebook:

“Astros Hitting Coach Alex Cintron has been suspended for 20 games...”

SlyDodgersFan: I thought the Astros hitting coach was a trash can?

:spit:

• Haha 3