bad luck with new equipment

udbrky
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1244 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This year, I was replacing some pants that were getting worn, and I got some combos mostly to wear in sub-45 weather.

Replaced my F3 shins because they had worn through in the ankles from wearing high tops with them.

This week, I got cleated.

18U, RHH, Batted ball comes to a stop an inch fair and an inch out of the LHH box. I pop up and observer the fair/foul, possible B-R running into the ball, and obs/int/tangle/untangle situations

F2 grabs ball and comes back at R3 coming home, who tries to jump around tag (a good 8 or so feet up the line, not right near the plate), gets tagged, and lands on my lower leg. I'd swung back and was in perfect position for the tag play, but right in his line.

Nothing to do about this, right? Just really bad luck? Maybe the pants could be stitched and used for emergencies? On the upside, at least that's damage to my shin guard, not my leg.3NzbpxQ.jpgU14J10e.jpg

• Sad 2

Hazards of the job, I’m afraid. You can get a needle and thread, and fix that hole on your pants and nobody will notice. As for the shinnies, nobody will ever see them either. Just view them as battle scars and soldier on my friend! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blue32 said:

Hazards of the job, I’m afraid. You can get a needle and thread, and fix that hole on your pants and nobody will notice. As for the shinnies, nobody will ever see them either. Just view them as battle scars and soldier on my friend! 

Agree on the pants. Sew/repair as best you can but as minimal as possible. Most all people won’t notice and you can get by with them.  

Me, I’d use for a short period of time while waiting for my new pair to be delivered and then hemmed. Ripped set would become emergency pair. 

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of polywools, with less than a season  use, get snagged on a chain linked fence as I cleared a fielder on a foul pop up.....tore a perfect 1 inch by in inch "L" shaped tear........outside thigh area.....I applied an iron on patch from the inside of the pant leg. If you didn't know it had been torn you wouldn't notice it at all........ 

Or your face @udbrky. Let's we forget Greg Gibson finding himself on the wrong end of a Tori Hunter pair of spikes.

But I KNOW how you feel. I had bought a pair of Reebok Zig plate shoes years ago. First game of the season I am on the dish. And this big lumbering catcher tries to find a pop up that obviously went over the fence before he even stood up.

But stand up he does. Right on my BRAND NEW pair of Zigs.

Worst part of this? It happened on the VERY FIRST PITCH of the season!

• Sad 1