"Best" thing you've heard from the stands

What is the "best" thing you have heard from the stands?  Whether at you or a kid or a coach.

The one that sticks out to me is last year HS playoffs.  FIRST pitch of the GAME splits the plate thigh-high.  I start my strike call and hear....

"get ready to swing at everything...he's all over the place!"

• Haha 2
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where'd that miss, middle? Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

“I’ve seen a better blue in a crayon box!” 

SWMBO just got a package in the mail.  She ordered a T-shirt for me.  It says: UMPIRE - I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, aaluck said:

What is the "best" thing you have heard from the stands?  Whether at you or a kid or a coach.

The one that sticks out to me is last year HS playoffs.  FIRST pitch of the GAME splits the plate thigh-high.  I start my strike call and hear....

"get ready to swing at everything...he's all over the place!"

Actually you can get a feel for that watching the bullpen warm-up and the mound warm-up.

"He's screwing us just like he did yesterday!" -- This was said about me by a fan in response to a routine force-out to end their team's half of the first inning.

The best part: This happened at a softball tournament's consolation game -- a tournament where I didn't umpire any of the previous day's games :lol:. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing out loud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my mentors warned me that at the levels I'm umpiring, neither the coaches nor the parents know the rules very well.  I've found that to be very true.  

Batter hits a lazy fly ball just a few feet up the 1st base line, clearly in foul territory.  Catcher ditches the mask and goes to make the catch, but it hit his glove (clearly in FOUL territory), bounced off, and rolled into fair territory.  I called it a foul ball.

Some idiot mother in the stands with the Most Annoying Voice Ever kept shouting for TWO INNINGS, "IT ROLLED FAIR!  IT ROLLED FAIR!"  

She.  Would.  Not.  Shut.  Up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm working the dish at an independent pro league game. A couple thousand in the seats for "Bring your dog to the Ballpark" night, and the local APL is having an adoption event on the concourse. A voice from behind home plate rises, saying, "Hey, blue! You can get a new seeing eye dog right up here!" The entire crowd starts laughing.

One of the coaches is walking by me as this happens, looks at me out of the corner of his eye and goes, "Ooph... Ouch"

I told him, "Yeah - that was my wife!"  :wow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, mac266 said:

Some idiot mother in the stands with the Most Annoying Voice Ever kept shouting for TWO INNINGS, "IT ROLLED FAIR!  IT ROLLED FAIR!"  

She.  Would.  Not.  Shut.  Up

Now you know how her husband must feel. :sarcasm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had an 8U tournament game a couple weeks ago....batter hits long fly ball down left field line.   Defensive coach is on first base side.   I'm straddling the line, ball hits the line bounces to foul territory.  I point fair, runners are running...couple runs score.   The Def coach comes out and starts to question how I could call that fair...it wasn't close...etc...   All the parents on the defensive team sitting behind me yelled at the coach that it was fair.   He sheepishly went back to the dugout.   

• Thanks 1

I mentioned this in another thread, but it fits here!

A good friend was doing the plate in a 2017 WR Little League tournament game.  His umpire buds from NoCal were in the stands behind the plate.  After the first pitch, all the guys said "Hey Blue!  Call 'em the same for both teams, OK?"

Now that's funny!

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 1

Heard this COVID-related one the other day from another umpire, so not mine, but its winning the "best heckle of the COVID year" award so far:

After a close play, a parent in the RF stands yells out "Blue, just put the mask over your eyes!" 

I bet he was dying to yell that one out all game...

• Like 1

pregame meeting coach looks at me and says "Hey nice glasses."

I'm thinking no they aren't they are 3 yrs old now and have a damn scratch...

Oh wait was that a poke at me or was he hitting on me....

I was just glad it was at the end of the meeting I felt ODD after that