Joe West

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1333 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

One of my fondest LL umpiring stories.

Batter swings and immediately the lights go out!  I wake up in a bed in the emergency room with my wife taking next to me.  After an X-Ray and some tests I'm OK to go home (with a good size lump in the side of my Head from the thrown bat).

Head out and the waiting room is full of coaches, players and parents from both teams.  PRICELESS 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dunno', @KenBAZ...I have the bucket stopping the cut (which needed stitches). One is still contending with a concussion, regardless.

I tried a bucket for an entire summer's worth of games. It offers additional protection, no question. I just couldn't get past the weight and the ungainliness of managing it throughout the game...

~Dog 

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Double ear flap all black batting helmet would work. If batters can see ball with one flap, umpires could see ball with both flaps just like little league helmet,

Noooooope. The whole reason a double ear flap batting helmet is designed and acts the way it does is so it doesn’t come off. And, last I checked, most (closer to all) baseball participants still don’t trust or believe our calls when we have a mask on. Accordingly, we’re taught, at every level, to get our mask off ASAP to move and/or make a call. And you want to make that procedure even more torturous, and more of a hassle?? What does a double-flap batting helmet do that an existing HSM doesn’t do?

And as all the colleagues here know, I’m not a fan of HSMs. However, I understand their purpose, role, and function in baseball (*cough cough* catchers! *cough*), and lacking another umpire-specific design, will never besmirch or belittle a fellow umpire using one (I will criticize a poorly-fitting one). Ask my good friend and colleague @KenBAZ! I not only endorse his choice to use a HSM, I actually repair and maintain the HSMs he has in his arsenal.

We don’t have an umpire-designed helmet, though (yet). And really, is it urgently needed? The last catastrophic bat-upon-Umpire’s-head injury in MLB was Kerwin Danley, and he promptly began using a HSM thereafter. No disrespect to Joe West, and I hope he didn’t suffer any permanent damage, but why is his injury any more critical than Danley’s, such that we have to start finding and devising immediate safety solutions?? I mean, I’m surprised someone hasn’t suggested using Nerf bats, and outlawing wood or metal bats!

• Like 1

I understand that many of you can't get use to the extra weight and heat of a helmet, but this is clearly a case where the trade-off is worth it. Yeah, it doesn't happen that often, but once is enough. Also, while a helmet might not prevent a concussion in every case, you clearly would prefer to be wearing one if you got hit with a bat. There's a reason hockey goalies wear them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 2:04 PM, KenBAZ said:

Hockey Style Helmet mitigates the problem. It occurs more frequently at lower levels of the game.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well now after having just bought a brand new allstar fm4000mag  and only worn it to adjust the straps now I wanna go look for a hockey helmet LOL

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Well now after having just bought a brand new allstar fm4000mag  and only worn it to adjust the straps now I wanna go look for a hockey helmet

Why? You actually think, and fear, that “the next one” has your name on it?

No ill-will to Joe West intended, but how is his injury (which he basically took a few painkillers and swigs of... “liquid comfort” to treat) of any significance? I caught for 16 years, and have umpired for 13, and aside from the swung bat I took in the side of the head at 14-15 years old, I have not been hit by a flung bat, broken bat, or a bat’s follow through.

Actually, I think the bigger story is Joe West’s reaction to this. Get it treated, get back out there (on bases), and get back to work. And, I bet that for his next plate, he won’t be wearing a HSM.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Why? You actually think, and fear, that “the next one” has your name on it?

No ill-will to Joe West intended, but how is his injury (which he basically took a few painkillers and swigs of... “liquid comfort” to treat) of any significance? I caught for 16 years, and have umpired for 13, and aside from the swung bat I took in the side of the head at 14-15 years old, I have not been hit by a flung bat, broken bat, or a bat’s follow through.

Actually, I think the bigger story is Joe West’s reaction to this. Get it treated, get back out there (on bases), and get back to work. And, I bet that for his next plate, he won’t be wearing a HSM.

So your thoughts on your own personal safety are "It only happened to him one time and it was not that bad so I'll be ok." 

But granted I never said that I only do any of my work with LL and well yeah that probably wont be as hard a swing as MLB or MiLB  but it is probably bound to happen more often.

So I was a little tongue in cheek with the comment hence the LOL at the end but it is making me think.

I wear a HSM.  I've enjoyed wearing one from day one.
I've been hit everywhere in the front by batted balls and pitched balls not caught by the catcher without issues.
I feel safe in it and to me it's comfortable to wear and easy to take on/off.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:49 PM, MadMax said:

Noooooope. The whole reason a double ear flap batting helmet is designed and acts the way it does is so it doesn’t come off. And, last I checked, most (closer to all) baseball participants still don’t trust or believe our calls when we have a mask on. Accordingly, we’re taught, at every level, to get our mask off ASAP to move and/or make a call. And you want to make that procedure even more torturous, and more of a hassle?? What does a double-flap batting helmet do that an existing HSM doesn’t do?

And as all the colleagues here know, I’m not a fan of HSMs. However, I understand their purpose, role, and function in baseball (*cough cough* catchers! *cough*), and lacking another umpire-specific design, will never besmirch or belittle a fellow umpire using one (I will criticize a poorly-fitting one). Ask my good friend and colleague @KenBAZ! I not only endorse his choice to use a HSM, I actually repair and maintain the HSMs he has in his arsenal.

We don’t have an umpire-designed helmet, though (yet). And really, is it urgently needed? The last catastrophic bat-upon-Umpire’s-head injury in MLB was Kerwin Danley, and he promptly began using a HSM thereafter. No disrespect to Joe West, and I hope he didn’t suffer any permanent damage, but why is his injury any more critical than Danley’s, such that we have to start finding and devising immediate safety solutions?? I mean, I’m surprised someone hasn’t suggested using Nerf bats, and outlawing wood or metal bats!

Nerf bats are a start.