Sign in to follow this  
mbkcoach

Japanese umpire forearm and wrist pads?

In the AM they play the Japanese baseball league on tv. Most the umps wear wrist and forearm protection? What type do the wear? I took a bad shot on 2nd pitch. D1 pitcher Cather thought it would hit batter. I thought I broke my wrist. 

I noticed that too.  I don't know if it is due to the culture over there, or because they are smaller-structured than us on average, or maybe they're just smarter than us for wearing them?  Someone mentioned to me that they also don't have to deal with the type of assignors that we do over here. There is too much focus on "appearance" over ability & performance to move up to higher levels.

I'll say this much, if I ever take one off the wrist-bone, then I will wear them - I am past caring what people think looks "macho" or not and I have no fear of being blocked from moving up because I'm fine where I am.  I will wear what I need to feel safe, so I can stay locked in if I have to go up there looking like Darth Vader (kidding mostly but arm-guards aren't that big of a visual issue in reality). 

darth vader GIF

P.S. - Welcome back my friend!