Move towards second while injured

spark2212
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1337 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I don’t know if you saw the play a few nights ago where Eduardo Nuñez hurt himself coming down the first base line. He was ruled safe but immediately stumbled to the ground. Now, he landed in fair territory, so for the purposes of tagging him out has he made a move towards second or is this an obvious exception?

10 answers to this question

Remember there has to be an attempt to advance to second. Here it is clear that no attempt was made.

As stated above, and despite what we all learned in little league, the base runner does not have to run into foul territory. 

ALTHOUGH, after looking at the score 14-1, B8 I may call him out. :lol:

• Like 1

Mr. maven, it may be a myth now but from 1887 through 1909 there was a rule that a batter-runner was liable to be put out if he turned left after overrunning first base.

In 1887 a new rule (in rule 53, subparagraph 9) was introduced that said—

If, in over-running First Base, he also attempts to run to Second Base, or after passing the base he turns to his left from the foul line, he shall forfeit such exemption from being put out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. maven, it may be a myth now but from 1887 through 1909 there was a rule that a batter-runner was liable to be put out if he turned left after overrunning first base.

In 1887 a new rule (in rule 53, subparagraph 9) was introduced that said—

If, in over-running First Base, he also attempts to run to Second Base, or after passing the base he turns to his left from the foul line, he shall forfeit such exemption from being put out.

Turn or pivot?  I'd bet they meant the same as now which is why they changed the wording..

As usual, Mr. Rich Ives, you would be wrong. I can provide proof from the BRD, from the Jim Evans manual, and from former major league umpire Billy Evans who worked in the American League from 1906 through 1927.

Billy Evans wrote in the 1922 edition of the book Simplified Baseball Rule Book, “Years ago when a baserunner crossed first base, it was necessary that he turn to the right after so doing. Otherwise he made himself liable to be put out.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

As usual, Mr. Rich Ives, you would be wrong. I can provide proof from the BRD, from the Jim Evans manual, and from former major league umpire Billy Evans who worked in the American League from 1906 through 1927.

Billy Evans wrote in the 1922 edition of the book Simplified Baseball Rule Book, “Years ago when a baserunner crossed first base, it was necessary that he turn to the right after so doing. Otherwise he made himself liable to be put out.”

The umpires were calling the rule as they understood it. So why did they change the wording? I'd still bet they didn't really mean that.