JimKirk

Help Make Heather Grey Go Away

You want Heather Grey slacks... heck, anything in the uniform to go away, the first place to go is the NFHS Headquarters, and petition, beseech, berate... whatever... to get them to remove the “the shirt shall be navy” line. It’s that line, and the lines surrounding it that influence (to borrow the whippersnappers term) what the states do for their uniform codes. Now, before @Jimurray jumps in and corrects me (he loves to when it comes to the exact syntax of NFHS), the Fed does allow for state associations to determine to their own uniform standards, but I have to say, the state associations are lazy and stubborn. Clean up the uniform standards – knock down the first, prime domino – and the rest will start falling.

And this also goes for softball, which becomes the official harbor and haven of heather grey slacks and powder blue w/ navy trim shirts... because it’s not “those baseball boys”.

And this segues into the other problem, and it’s one that the manufacturers do control to an extent, @JimKirk. If they don’t want to produce and manage an over-abundance of SKUs, then stop making those obsolete products!!! Sure, it’s a risk. Sure, you might miss out on some sales. Sure, you might get the angry email(s) from umpires like Clarence Callsafew, outraged that you’re not making his favorite shirt or pant anymore, and because of this, he won’t be buying from you ever again. You must resist the temptation to cave; you must remain resolute. 

If the existing manufacturers were to collaborate, in only agreement, not to produce any more heather grey slacks, full stop, it will cause a shockwave in the bat sports market (at least for the officials of them). Then, the “back end of the double play” would be to produce a comprehensive line of women’s fit umpire slacks in charcoal grey. If we’re going to take away the problem, we must give the solution.

• Thanks 1

I'm all for standardizing pants. Heather grey is just a bad look. Having worked a long time for an athletic shoe manufacturer I understand the cost of multiple SKU's. It seems like there is a simple solution. Only make shoes in all black.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Funniest 2 one-liners in a row on Umpire-Empire ever. :notworthy:

I think Heather and Jennifer are sisters.

Let's not forget my favorite...Sasha.

+1 for all black shoes

+1 for charcoal pants BB/SB

I cleaned my NB base shoes by tossing them in the washer, then air dry. Came out like new. I'd suggest only a few times a season. Haven't tried and wouldn't recommend for NB plate shoes.

5 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

It seems like there is a simple solution. Only make shoes in all black.

I was with you until this statement. After this, I don’t know if I know you anymore.

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:22 AM, Thunderheads said:

2 things ......... 1) all black shoes make you look like you have dress shoes on (moreso in the field)

2) as you get older and slower.... white on your base shoes makes you look faster! :D 

This. Absolutely looks like dress shoes. That should go with a navy shirt. 

Some white, some trim, some sort of contrast does indeed look better.

• Like 2

........................what?   No "50 shades of Grey" remarks???   (Yes, SWMBO made me watch it with her one evening).  Did I mention I really don't like this stay at home mess?

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 5:53 PM, Matt said:

Let's not forget my favorite...Sasha.

I'm old enough that I was going to go with Erin.

• Haha 1

Just a youngen here but

1 Charcoal to me should be it.. 86 the heather

2. To borrow from Mr Ford.   "Any customer can have a car Shoe painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."  My feelings are all black is classier, better for the Uni look 

• Haha 1

For me, I actually like all-black better. But I couldn't care less if my partner had white on his shoes. And charcoal grey all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

I'm old enough that I was going to go with Erin.

You are old school @kylehutson. Had to look that one up.

Erin is Jennifer & Heather’s aunt. Glad we are building the GREY family tree as we consider Heather’s retirement.