Ump0000

Solution to bulky padding in Wilson Platinum?

I have a small size Platinum and was wondering if anyone had any solution to replace or modify to padding in the shoulder caps? I was thinking maybe replacing with neoprene from wrestling knee pads or something. Any suggestions welcomed. 

My solution might not be for everybody. I just took those pads out and left them out.

My Platinum fits me so that my shoulders are well covered. The actual shoulder cups hit more at my triceps/biceps area. So, now that area only has the plastic shell of the shoulder cap, minus the padding.

I made this change at the suggestion of another umpire years ago. In all those years, I've never taken a hit in this area that caused a problem. The protector is so much more comfortable! It almost feels low profile...or, at least it doesn't feel like Franken-ump anymore!

• Like 1

I removed mine as well.

On me, that cap isn't covering any boney parts, just meat, so the padding can be removed. BUT THAT'S JUST ME. Don't do this because I, or anyone else said to.

Everyone is built differently. Some more differently than others. So do a bone check before hitting the diamond, please. Just like checking if that bottom rib is covered, when you're down in your stance. 

• Like 1

Guys, I know I'm late responding, but thanks for the suggestions.  What I ended up doing is getting a pair of soccer knee pads with neoprene pads and cut the neoprene out to for the shoulder cap of the Platinum and used velcro to hold them in place. Very low profile and I live the result. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ump0000 said:

Guys, I know I'm late responding, but thanks for the suggestions.  What I ended up doing is getting a pair of soccer knee pads with neoprene pads and cut the neoprene out to for the shoulder cap of the Platinum and used velcro to hold them in place. Very low profile and I live the result. 

Pics please. Thanks 

Wow that's great! I'll definitely keep this in mind for future CPs. Thanks for posting!

Also, nice to see Wilson got rid of the giant W and started using a police flag instead! ;)  Definitely improves the look!

Just now, Young_Ump said:

Wow that's great! I'll definitely keep this in mind for future CPs. Thanks for posting!

Also, nice to see Wilson got rid of the giant W and started using a police flag instead! ;)  Definitely improves the look!

I'd rather support the police than Wilson lol