First of the year

BlueClue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1355 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well folks, the inevitable happened.

One-man Babe Ruth. Top of 3rd, 1 out, runners on 1st and 2nd, VT batting. Batter hits the ball to the fence. R1 and R2 come around to score while BR is heading to 3rd while the left fielder is throwing to 3B. 3B receives the ball and tags BR on the back before he reaches base.

As soon as I signal him out, OHC over at 3rd immediately started protesting, yelling "there's no f---ing way he's out!". I explain why I called him out, to which he continues to protest, throwing in half a dozen or so "that's terrible"'s. Finally he yells "that's bulls---", to which I immediately warn him. As I'm walking back behind the mound, he proceeds to keep yelling "that's bulls---" and "that's terrible" over and over again, to which I warn him again. He then proceeds to say "that's bulls---, get better!" to which I immediately eject him.

HC, who has the most "what the f--- did I do?!" look on his face immediately comes towards me, asking what he said and continuing to say (wait for it) "that's bulls---". I tell him that you can't keep arguing and I warned you multiple times, to which he brings up a play a 1st from the previous inning, trying to justify that he wasn't excessively arguing. Finally, he finishes off with a "that's bulls---, get better!" before leaving the field.

Had the VT players and parents riding my ass for the rest of the game, but I just ignored it, knowing that if anyone else got tossed, the game would be a forfeit (VT had 9 players and 1 coach at this point).

Anything I could've done differently? Anything I missed? Let me know!

How did you warn, what words did you use? 2x? I learned you to say “that’s enough” one time. 

Edited by LMSANS
Just noticed typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LMSANS said:

How did you warn, what words did you use? 2x? I learned you say “that’s enough” one time. 

Whenever I warn I usually say the coaches/players name and "that's enough". Wasn't able to get the coaches name so it was just a simple "that's enough"

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BlueClue said:

Whenever I warn I usually say the coaches/players name and "that's enough". Wasn't able to get the coaches name so it was just a simple "that's enough"

Let me suggest:

ONE WARNING, PERIOD. Don't desensitize game participants that warnings are meaningless. After a warning, they have ejected themselves when they continue.

"That's enough" is vague and means something different to everyone. But if you say, "This is your official warning. If you continue to argue you will leave me no choice but to eject you from the game," can that possibly be misinterpreted?

Yes, ignore the fans (unless they become threatening or are hurling slurs). DO NOT ignore the players. Give them the same warning you gave the coach and if they decide to forfeit the game, then it's on them, not you.

• Like 6

Warning? In youth baseball? After a "There's no f---ing way he's out!"? Teach the coach a lesson at the first obscenity and toss at this point. Continuing to protest, a half-dozen "that's terrible!" and "That's bullsh---!" More lost opportunities to get rid of him. He gave you a dozen reasons to eject him. Moreover, it must have been obvious to you that he had no interest in hearing what you had to say. Personal, profane, prolonged--he violated all three.

I agree with grayhawk that a warning--one warning--has to have teeth, but in the circumstances, your first warning came too late--you should have ejected him much sooner than you did, if not immediately at the first obscenity. This coach immediately jumped way over the line, earning a one-way ticket to the parking lot.

I also agree that (1) you cannot ignore players, and (2) the consequences--i.e., a forfeit--are not my concern.

• Like 5

Use IAWE: 

1. Identify & Ignore.  Identify the issue and attempt to ignore it if possible and the issue is not flagrant.   Example: Coach is griping at 3B after you have explained why you had him out. It's irritating, but he is not cussing and just upset at how it went.  As long as he's not causing a scene or belittling you, you ignore it and move on.   If he keeps going and doesn't show signs of stopping soon, then you proceed to Step 2.
  2. Acknowledge you saw it/heard it  "Coach, we're done with the discussion, now let's play ball."
  3. Warn the person who is doing wrong.  "This is your official warning, if you continue to argue then I will have no choice but to eject you from this game."
  4. Eject if it continues "Coach, you're gone.  You are ejected for arguing."

The Four P's

1. Profane, this one is pretty self-explanatory.  There's no place for swearing in the game and most rule-sets actually forbid it from any player or coach.  I normally would warn a player if I overhear it (and the fans can't), but if it is directed at you for a call you make - then boom, he's gone!  (PS - I do HS and teenage ball, no LL.)
  2. Personal, "You suck blue!"  This is an immediate eject-able offense.  Suggestions you're a homer, a cheat, paid off etc. are NOT to be tolerated.
  3. Prolonged , you gave them a warning to stop arguing and play ball.  They have no intention of doing so and want to continue arguing, let them take a walk.  Do not allow them to continue after a warning was given or you lose respect and make it harder on the next umpire.
  4. Persistent, this is one where they want to whine about every call.  They'll never get real loud and they're not going to cuss at you, but they'll just eat away at you all game long.  Every inning they don't like a call, or a pitch being called a ball or strike and sigh loudly about it, etc.  You aren't paid to be their punching bag.  After you determine they're planning on this all game, nip it in the bud. Use IAWE and after you acknowledge what is going on, then warn the coach. If they persist, they have to go.

I will say that all of this takes time and experience to get down well.  My first few ejections were not pretty, but you learn to do better in this area over time.

Have fun out there!

• Like 1

Think of the "I" in IAWE as "ignore," not "identify." Ignore the first, brief comment or complaint, but if a coach continues, thereby escalating matters, then move to "Acknowledge" with something like, "That's enough" or "Knock it off."*

In any event, in the OP, the coach's immediate use of the magic word warrants the umpire's prompt application of step 4.

*Some umpires encourage using the coach's name when you acknowledge; others may not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

Think of the "I" in IAWE as "ignore," not "identify." Ignore the first, brief comment or complaint, but if a coach continues, thereby escalating matters, then move to "Acknowledge" with something like, "That's enough" or "Knock it off."*

In any event, in the OP, the coach's immediate use of the magic word warrants the umpire's prompt application of step 4.

*Some umpires encourage using the coach's name when you acknowledge; others may not.

I need to fix my post - you're right!

A lot of this is level dependent and MOST SPECIFICALLY rules dependent while also bearing in mind that there are ALWAYS magic words and actions that justify, demand an immediate ejection.

I personally make allowances the older the players are. The men's leagues games I call use OBR which don't have IAWE. So, I allow for more at that level because I have a rulebook that permits me to eject anyone really under any circumstance I or my partners choose.

We could lay out scenarios for hours and hours...A 13 year old using general profanity not directed at anyone, I call the coach over and warn the player and tell him if he does it again, he will be ejected. A 13 year old using profanity directed at someone...immediate ejection.

Anyone above 18 playing OBR using profanity not directed at anyone...usually, I chuckle. Anyone above 18 playing OBR using profanity directed at an umpire...immediate ejection.

With regards to IAWE, I like @wolfe_man's post above. Specifically, the use of "...this is your OFFICIAL warning." Sometimes, if we just say, "Coach, that's a warning..." it can be interpreted as an escalation statement you didn't intend or that you are baiting the coach. ("Norton, my friend? I'm warnin' you!" is not what we want here.) Remember, you are dealing with someone whose blood is up and they may not be hearing you and or thinking rationally.

Whatever you decide in accordance with your rules related to ejections, be consistent. And always remember, whatever you and your partners permit...you promote.

~Dog

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:04 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

GONE!!!!    Then there is NO WAY he can get a warning for anything else and drag it out.

See @wolfe_man's post

Thank you. 

I was actually shocked we got 5-6 posts into this before someone said this.

IAWE is used for those pesky sniper coaches, mainly arguing balls and strikes... F bombing me on a call? Have a nice day.