Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NJ Coach

Pitcher shaking mitt when set. Balk ?

Question

Guest NJ Coach

Watched a NJ hs-age tournament the other day...not a sanctioned hs event because in summer but same teams, players and coaches given this opportunity since the spring season was canceled.

Ump called a balk when pitcher came set with hands belt-high and sort of shook his mitt and hand together as he raised to his letters height before delivery.  An unfortunate comparison, but shaking hands like you'd see in a Parkinson's disease patient. I believe I've seen this in coming set often.  Is this a balk ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

A lot of pitchers will adjust the ball in their glove while set--which causes the glove to move a bit or shake. I imagine that's what is going on here.

As for me no, that's not a balk if I'm on the field. That being said without seeing what's going on, its a guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Watched a NJ hs-age tournament the other day...not a sanctioned hs event because in summer but same teams, players and coaches given this opportunity since the spring season was canceled.

Ump called a balk when pitcher came set with hands belt-high and sort of shook his mitt and hand together as he raised to his letters height before delivery.  An unfortunate comparison, but shaking hands like you'd see in a Parkinson's disease patient. I believe I've seen this in coming set often.  Is this a balk ?

If he kept his hands together, then I'm not sure how they balked him.  It's hard to say without seeing a video sometimes as something could be missed.  Words can be tricky to us sometimes.  A shake like Parkinson's is pictured as a small shuffle of the hands in my head, so I don't see any issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Guest NJ Coach

Yes small shuffling as he raised his hands together while set from belt to letter height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Yes small shuffling as he raised his hands together while set from belt to letter height.

Did he come set again when his hands got to the letters?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Guest NJ Coach

are you asking if he paused with joined hands at letters before pitching ? yes.  hands never separated after coming together at belt height. maybe an NFHS thing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

.................to me, he changed from a 2 seam fast ball grip, to a curve ball ( or whatever).   I've got nothing in my game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

are you asking if he paused with joined hands at letters before pitching ? yes.  hands never separated after coming together at belt height. maybe an NFHS thing ?

If your crew saw it as a stop and a start, it should be called a balk. It is very difficult to offer an informed perspective without any video though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

are you asking if he paused with joined hands at letters before pitching ? yes. 

And this was AFTER he came set with his hands at his waist? (as you may have implied he did in an earlier post)

 

Then it's a balk for coming set twice (note that this is NOT the phrasing in the rule -- it's really a balk for failing to pitch after making a motion after coming set, or something like that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

To clarify what sounds like a double set....Did he bring his hands together at the belt, pause, then bring his hands up to his chest...pause again? Balk. 

The other thing we may be talking about here...Pitcher comes set with both hands together at the belt, yet they never stop "bouncing" while he's supposed to be set. He then starts his motion to pitch.  That can be a "no stop" balk. If the hands continually bounce through what should be a "discernable" stop, we may indeed have a no stop balk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This restriction is really easy.

The pitching restrictions in the set position require a discernible stop prior to pitching to the batter. Everything—every (visible) body part—must stop moving. Discernibly. Once.

If he does that, I don't care what the rest of his wiggles and what not are, nor whether some coach has "never seen that before!." If he doesn't do that, then it's a balk (of one sort or another).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, noumpere said:

And this was AFTER he came set with his hands at his waist? (as you may have implied he did in an earlier post)

 

Then it's a balk for coming set twice (note that this is NOT the phrasing in the rule -- it's really a balk for failing to pitch after making a motion after coming set, or something like that)

Yep.  All day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...