Plate shoes causing blisters on feet

Tylerc33
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1365 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Most people think blisters are caused by shoes that are too tight. Blisters are caused by shoes that are too loose. The shoe is loose, your foot moves around and...friction. And friction leads to blisters. I am no podiatrist.

You have several options...

1) Wear a thicker sock or wear 2 pairs of socks. This will help fill the space and tighten up the fit. Drawback...it makes your feet warmer and generates more sweat and might also contribute to the blisters. DO wear a premium sock that will keep your feet dry. Wet, damp or even slightly moist feet are more prone to blistering. Consider a powder if necessary.

2) Acquire some moleskin. This is a heavy cotton fabric similar to chamois. Cut the moleskin into the shape of your blister and gently tape it up. Drawback...it's extra work every time you get suited up for a game.

3) Get new shoes. Easier said then done because most brick and mortar shops don't offer plate shoes in all the widths in-store. So, your best bet is to select a brand of plate shoes. I like new Balance but, I had never worn that brand of shoe before so I went to my local running store that carries New Balance. I went on like a Tuesday afternoon when they weren't busy. I told the salesperson I was there for a professional fitting but, I would not be buying shoes that day. I personally have a wide foot and I find one brand's 2E is another brand's 4E. After getting fit, I bought a 6 pack of socks and tipped the salesperson $20 for their time and effort. When I ordered my New Balance plate shoes, they fit perfectly. And most online retailers have very flexible return policies so if you are between sizes and not sure, order two or three pairs and return the ones that don't fit. Drawback...it's going to cost you time and money but, once you are done, you will have the right shoe.

I don't wildly spend on my gear and I'm sure you don't either but, I have really come to understand that it's important as an umpire to be protected, comfortable and professional in my appearance out there. As I turn off my day job brain and turn on my baseball brain as I am driving to my games, I would not want the looming feeling of knowing I have to put on a piece of equipment (in this case shoes) that not only aren't comfortable, but are giving me blisters...much less have to actually go out there and wear them.

~Dog

• Thanks 1

I cannot speak for others, but I have found many times that regular shoes work best for me.  When I attempted to go to a wide shoe, they don't fit they should and then I have issues. 

Unless you normally wear EEE shoes, I'd try to go back to a regular D or EE size and see if that won't fix your "slippage" causing blisters.

There are few things worse than shoes that don't fit right.   And there are few things more frustrating than spending hard-earned money on shoes that don't work right either!

For the record, what shoes did you purchase?

I got the 3n2 plate shoes from purchase officials. I didn’t plan on doing much baseball/softball because I enjoy lacrosse/football/basketball more (COVID changed that) but wanted to get something to protect myself and that had good reviews for the price And after the first day I hated them hoping I just had to break them in but it’s not any better. I’ll probably just have to get new shoes or try the options above. They are a little loose because I did think loosening them would help a little but as the first person stated that actually makes it worse. Thanks for your guys help

I normally don't wear 11.0 in 4E (usually 10.5 in D in my standard NB cross trainers) but that's what I ended up with in the New Balance plate shoes - great shoes, but all seemed too tight or too loose.  Went with these, but had the same problem - couldn't get them tight enough, and then it would loosen during the games.  The great solution (for me anyway) was to use locklaces (https://www.locklaces.com/) -- these allowed me to really get them "tied" snuggly, and I'd wrap the top of the lace to keep it from loosening during the games.  You can buy them on Amazon.  Have been using them for over 100 plates and still working great.

1 hour ago, Tylerc33 said:

I got the 3n2 plate shoes from purchase officials. I didn’t plan on doing much baseball/softball because I enjoy lacrosse/football/basketball more (COVID changed that) but wanted to get something to protect myself and that had good reviews for the price And after the first day I hated them hoping I just had to break them in but it’s not any better. I’ll probably just have to get new shoes or try the options above. They are a little loose because I did think loosening them would help a little but as the first person stated that actually makes it worse. Thanks for your guys help

My first pair of plate shoes was a pair of 3N2s that a friend gave to me (they were a size too small for him) and I love them.  It took a little trial and error for me to get them "dialed in", controlling the tightness/looseness by readjusting the laces.  At first, they did seem a bit tight, but with a few lacing adjustments they were great.  I also think they do stretch a bit, but I can't swear to that.

Almost ten seasons later and I will be replacing them next year (would have been this year ...) and will gladly go back to the same brand.  I have short fat feet, and I like the width in the 3N2s.  I typically only wear ASICS for my everyday sneakers as they are the best fit for my odd sizing.

I know everybody is different, but I would encourage you to try playing around with the lacing (tighten/loosen) before giving up on them all together.

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I cannot speak for others, but I have found many times that regular shoes work best for me.  When I attempted to go to a wide shoe, they don't fit they should and then I have issues. 

Unless you normally wear EEE shoes, I'd try to go back to a regular D or EE size and see if that won't fix your "slippage" causing blisters.

There are few things worse than shoes that don't fit right.   And there are few things more frustrating than spending hard-earned money on shoes that don't work right either!

For the record, what shoes did you purchase?

Wolfe, do you wear regular shoes behind the plate then?  Do you do anything for extra protection?  (I had a guy that I worked with one time that told me he made his own plate shoes using little kids' soccer shin guards.)

11 hours ago, Tylerc33 said:

I got these plate shoes has EE width but I’ve worked about 20-25 games in them and they still give my feet blisters up near the toes anyone know what I can do to prevent this? 

Exact same spot each time or does it change?  Could be a seam or stitching hitting your foot wrong. You could be doing everything correct that you can but it may just be the shoe. could also be the sock seam interface with the shoe. If it’s a seam, a shoe repair shop may be able to smooth it or punch out even more room. 

I also remember trying 3n2 on and could feel where the protective cap ended.

I’ve run into it before with runners and dress shoes.  Some just don’t mesh with my foot protrusions. I’m real picky with the way things feel on my feet, so I notice little things that just don’t hit right. 

5 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Wolfe, do you wear regular shoes behind the plate then?  Do you do anything for extra protection?  (I had a guy that I worked with one time that told me he made his own plate shoes using little kids' soccer shin guards.)

Sorry, I really need to work on communicating better.

I meant regular <width> shoes. I do wear plate shoes, Reebok Magistrates to be exact.

Sorry for the confusion.

13 hours ago, Tylerc33 said:

I got these plate shoes has EE width but I’ve worked about 20-25 games in them and they still give my feet blisters up near the toes anyone know what I can do to prevent this? 

If anyone should be advocating for “buy new shoes” it would be me.

But I am thinking a less invasive route first (in order). Take your pick or try all.

1) Add a lubricant to the area to cut on friction. I am thinking petroleum jelly might work best. Pile it on.

2) Add a foot powder to help keep your foot dry. I prefer Gold Bond but your preference. More the merrier.

3) Try a different sock. Umpires swear by these designed to have all the right cushioning in all the right places plus moisture-wicking, especially on the top of the foot: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Socks/F3-ULT-SOX-BK_Force3-Ultimate-Referee-Umpire-Socks

4) Consider adding an insole if too much room rather than an extra sock. Choose whichever works. Here is one that just hit the market that protects your feet from the heat of turf: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Base-Plate-Shoes/HEAT-SHIELDS-ORG_HeatShields-Shoe-Inserts

4) Consider a blister cushion or padding. I believe Dr Scholl’s has a product. Might work if it stays on when you get sweaty. Preferable to 2 socks...due to heat but then again maybe an no-show or quarter sock on the 1st layer might work, too.

5) If all else fails, consider a different size of 3n2s for a better fit, if applicable, or try New Balance. Pretty decent suggestions on shoe fit/sizing here:

https://www.ump-attire.com/fitting-room.html#SHOES-SOCKS

Hope that helps. Please share what ends up working.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:04 AM, Tylerc33 said:

I haven't read the other responses yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say that your plate shoes are a 1/2 to a size too small. 

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. I didn't realize that my shoes were too small until I got a new pair of plate shoes and was forced to size up due to inventory and all my troubles went away! 

Sorry you're dealing with blisters. If it helps, and a new pair isn't in your budget, I used band aids and athletic tape torn in half the long way and wrapped my irritated toes until I could afford a new pair. 

Good luck.

• Like 1