Sign in to follow this  
Guest roppster

Stop play

Question

Guest roppster

During a pitch a bystander throws a ball into the base ump standing behind the pitcher towards the shortstop. This should be an immediate stop play but the officials did not call it. These are 12u kids. Some of them were watching the base ump try to catch the ball. What is the ruling?

9 answers to this question

Foul balls returning to the field (either to a coach or ump) is not a reason to stop play.  

Now with the ump in B or C, as you have described, thats a little different. That would be distracting, but not necessarily a reason to stop play. If I see a ball coming onto the field to me in C, I probably would call time out of habit.

If the pitch is in flight it's not like you can stop time and have the ball not move anymore.

There's typically a judgment call here to when to kill the play.

The common scenario is in a multi-field facility (like a quad) where foul balls leave one field and enter another...if a play is already in progress you typically don't immediately kill it if a foul ball comes in from another field.

Don't stop play. BU should be watching the pitch. Players should be playing. They'll all catch on if the batter hits it and starts running.

• Like 1

A base umpire should never accept retrieved foul balls, for just this reason.  Foul balls should come in to the plate umpire through the dugout.

There is one complex that I enjoy working at which has “ball chutes” that feed into the field from the outside.  All foul balls go in there and the PU just grabs more from the chute when needed.

12u = Little kids

Ball flying to the middle of the diamond = bad thing, as it's a distraction to everyone.

Someone should call time when this happens as it's dangerous. 

The only thing I would allow is an over the fence home run. 

13 hours ago, kylejt said:

12u = Little kids

Ball flying to the middle of the diamond = bad thing, as it's a distraction to everyone.

Disagree. Learn how to play through distraction by doing that.

And it's a baseball, not a planetary extinction event.

But

28 minutes ago, maven said:

Disagree. Learn how to play through distraction by doing that.

And it's a baseball, not a planetary extinction event.

But what about your base umpire, who is now not watching the pitch? 

9 hours ago, kylejt said:

But

But what about your base umpire, who is now not watching the pitch? 

What about him? I'd rather he were hit by a parent-thrown ball than a batted ball. Though either one might actually improve him.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, kylejt said:

12u = Little kids

Once the pitched/batted ball is in play calling time is the WORST thing you can do...because now they are likely going to stop paying attention to the batted ball that is likely far more dangerous than the ball being tossed to the umpire.

EDIT: plus, give them credit...I've coached players as young as five years old..at some point they're not paying attention regardless...and at some point they are...by 12U "most" of them can keep their attention focused and not be distracted by the scenario you're describing.   And for the ones who aren't, calling time isn't going to stop a pitch that's already been thrown, a bat that's already been swung, a ball that's already been hit...it's only going to make the ones who ARE paying attention let up.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this