Rough situation tonight

12u little league game tonight, kid strikes out, I didn't realize it was a dropped third until my partner came and told me. Kids were already off the field so had to start back up again with 2 outs. There was a tag play at 3rd so I guess that distracted everyone for a while about challenging the dropped 3rd. So that wasn't a great look, 1st pitch catcher throws down to try and get r2 stealing 3rd, gets into a pickle, then obstruction happens and I have to call that to give him home. Man that defensive coach was not happy. Ever have situations where sh*t just seems to pile up like that?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only when you have a partner like that unless I’m missing something. 

Ok sorry I should have explained this better. On the uncaught third (which I initially thought was caught), right after the pitch is thrown, catcher throws down to third to pick off the kid there. Fie

yes this is good rule to have 100% down, it comes up a decent amount in levels where they've just introduced the D3K at that level.  OBR or OBR based rules such as Babe Ruth League: Leaving the "

You said the kids were already off the field. I assume you mean only the defense? In LL if the batter enters the dugout he forfeits the opportunity to advance on the uncaught third strike.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Scissors said:

12u little league game tonight, kid strikes out, I didn't realize it was a dropped third until my partner came and told me. Kids were already off the field so had to start back up again with 2 outs. There was a tag play at 3rd so I guess that distracted everyone for a while about challenging the dropped 3rd. So that wasn't a great look, 1st pitch catcher throws down to try and get r2 stealing 3rd, gets into a pickle, then obstruction happens and I have to call that to give him home. Man that defensive coach was not happy. Ever have situations where sh*t just seems to pile up like that?

Only when you have a partner like that unless I’m missing something. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Scissors said:

R2 was in a rundown between second and third when he was obstructed?  And you awarded him home?  I must be missing something.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Scissors said:

Kids were already off the field so had to start back up again with 2 outs.

Please explain what this means.

I must be missing something. Did you put the kid back in the box with no count and two outs? Was it a foul ball or did he swing/miss or called third? I am trying to imagine a situation when you would do this and I'm coming up blank.

Also obstruction is a one base award, unless you thought the obstruction prevented him from obtaining more than one base.

13 hours ago, Scissors said:

Let me try to sort this out...

2 out. U3K.

Something happens here that I can't figure out.

Attempted steal of third. Rundown. OBS.

13 hours ago, Scissors said:

If the kids were off the field who was operating the rundown?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

If the kids were off the field who was operating the rundown?

I THINK what happened is after all of the kids left the field, after the strike out (dropped), they put the batter back in the box with two outs. I'm going to assume they treated it as a foul ball--although I'm not sure about that. Then all of the other stuff happened.

His point being things went from bad to worse. 

11 hours ago, Matt said:

2 out. U3K.

Ok sorry I should have explained this better. On the uncaught third (which I initially thought was caught), right after the pitch is thrown, catcher throws down to third to pick off the kid there. Field umpire calls it out, so I think ok, batter is out there on the strikeout, and r3 out on the pickoff which ended the inning. The kids had left the field when the offensive manager comes to argue that it was a dropped third, I talk with my field umpire and he said yes it was. This is little league and he was 15 maybe so communication isn't the best. We get the kids back on the field, continuing with 2 outs now. The runner who made it to first safely on the UK3 steals his way to 3rd, where he is eventually caught in a rundown and awarded home on obstruction. Hope that wasn't more confusing than before.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Scissors said:

Ok sorry I should have explained this better. On the uncaught third (which I initially thought was caught), right after the pitch is thrown, catcher throws down to third to pick off the kid there. Field umpire calls it out, so I think ok, batter is out there on the strikeout, and r3 out on the pickoff which ended the inning. The kids had left the field when the offensive manager comes to argue that it was a dropped third, I talk with my field umpire and he said yes it was. This is little league and he was 15 maybe so communication isn't the best. We get the kids back on the field, continuing with 2 outs now. The runner who made it to first safely on the UK3 steals his way to 3rd, where he is eventually caught in a rundown and awarded home on obstruction. Hope that wasn't more confusing than before.

You should not have allowed the batter to get first base. In LL, he cannot run to first on a D3K after he enters the dugout. Should've been 3 outs.

11 hours ago, Scissors said:

Good to know, thanks. 

yes this is good rule to have 100% down, it comes up a decent amount in levels where they've just introduced the D3K at that level. 

OBR or OBR based rules such as Babe Ruth League: Leaving the "dirt circle" around home plate = OUT

FED: entering dugout = OUT

• Like 2
On 7/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, Matt said:

2 out. U3K.

I think I have it ... 

U3K

???

PROFIT

Maybe not.

If the defense was off the field (meaning all the players were past the foul line), the inning is over and the ball the dead.  If you ruled the third strike was caught, the batter is out #3.  Combine the two!  You called the third out, the defense was off the field, so the inning is over.  So for better or worse the batter is out.  No further play is possible.

You do not award the batter first base when your partner (upon YOU asking) tells you it was a U3K (unless you do it in an instant!)  Had it worked correctly, there might have been a play to retire him.

You blow 'em as you sees 'em!  You should have never reset the players IMO.

Mike

Las Vegas

6 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

If the defense was off the field (meaning all the players were past the foul line), the inning is over and the ball the dead.  If you ruled the third strike was caught, the batter is out #3.  Combine the two!  You called the third out, the defense was off the field, so the inning is over.  So for better or worse the batter is out.  No further play is possible.

You do not award the batter first base when your partner (upon YOU asking) tells you it was a U3K (unless you do it in an instant!)  Had it worked correctly, there might have been a play to retire him.

You blow 'em as you sees 'em!  You should have never reset the players IMO.

Mike

Las Vegas

You're missing the only thing that's relevant to this decision...the batter's actions. If he ran or did not give up his right to advance, then we've got an issue. If he did give up his right to advance, now we have three outs.

27 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

U3K = D3K < MST3K

My, my, my...Mitchell.

And for the record, I have worn Tom Servo socks in at least one game. I'm not going to comment on the contents of his underwear collection, because that is something reserved for determining the true Tom and his clone.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...