New All-Star Gear

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much else we can really talk about for these things until the official release. I heard that was some time this month. But who knows.

I heard september/ early october. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, kylejt said:

Honestly, what's the hurry?

Good point... if its that late, may as well be December.  BB season is over in most places, so no rush until Spring Training or umpire camps open up in January.

But having it by Black Friday is a win also.

• Like 1

After taking a really bad shot to the collarbone last week I decided to upgrade to the All-Star CPU4000, and I wore it for the first time tonight - WOW!  Seemed to be VERY protective, although I didn't take any hits - so what really impressed me so far was how well it fit/hangs on the shoulders, without having to have the harness tight at all.  Very comfortable, and a great deal at Ump-Attire.  https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/CPU4000_All-Star-System-Seven-Umpire-Chest-Protector

Worst case I end up buying the new model when it comes out, but I'm really happy to have this one too, although based only on pics (which can definitely be misleading) this just seems more solid.  (Although, as someone put it, I did have a somewhat Herman Munster-like look - hopefully that will lessen as the CPU4000 molds to my body.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

After taking a really bad shot to the collarbone last week I decided to upgrade to the All-Star CPU4000, and I wore it for the first time tonight - WOW!  Seemed to be VERY protective, although I didn't take any hits - so what really impressed me so far was how well it fit/hangs on the shoulders, without having to have the harness tight at all.  Very comfortable, and a great deal at Ump-Attire.  https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/CPU4000_All-Star-System-Seven-Umpire-Chest-Protector

Worst case I end up buying the new model when it comes out, but I'm really happy to have this one too, although based only on pics (which can definitely be misleading) this just seems more solid.  (Although, as someone put it, I did have a somewhat Herman Munster-like look - hopefully that will lessen as the CPU4000 molds to my body.)

Great that you love the CPU4k!  I loved mine too, however, ... the neck area was a bit small for me.  I have to ask, ... what CP did you take the collarbone shot with?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Great that you love the CPU4k!  I loved mine too, however, ... the neck area was a bit small for me.  I have to ask, ... what CP did you take the collarbone shot with?

The neck area just makes it for me.  I took it with the Schutt/Adams XV-HDX.  I'm going to re-do the placement of the hard plates on that to move them up about an inch higher - hopefully that will help.  I've used it for two years and have been very happy, but I have taken other shots that have hurt more than I like, so I wanted to try out other protectors, and with the CPU4000 getting great reviews plus the great deal at UA right now, I couldn't pass it up.  Just so we are clear, I'm not knocking the Adams at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kylejt said:

Collarbone protection is where the CPU4000, the WV Platinum and new Diamond all...

To be fair, the Diamond is based on the Platinum planform, albeit with more torso segments and without that stupid, useless billow pad. The Platinum itself is good, serviceable CP – it’s just that Wilson has done nothing to improve it in 15+ years, and gives it no favors by selling / shipping it flat. Without knowing how to properly wear it, most umpires wear it incorrectly, like a shop apron, primarily because their neck doesn’t fit the opening (when the shoulder arch plates are bent) and they get concerned that the CP doesn’t cover low enough (their tummies).

You’d be amazed the anxious looks I’ve gotten once I’ve adjusted and properly fit a (mis)used Platinum to an umpire... he promptly starts tugging it down an away from his neck, and becoming very aware of how uncovered his tummy is.

Not only is All-Star’s CPU4000 taller thru the torso – without the need of extensions – but it also enjoy’s All-Star’s attention to details, namely pre-curved carapace plates. This feature will also be on the forthcoming Cobalt CP.

8 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I took it with the Schutt/Adams XV-HDX.

The XV-HDX “suffers” from the same inherit flaw  most other CPs share – their origin can be traced back to football shoulder pads, made by football equipment companies, to a one-size-fits-most template. Wilson, Douglas, Riddell, All-American, Schutt (and Champro and Champion, by proxy)... all of them are guilty of it. Due to the focus on one-size-fits-most, the neck opening is often ill-fitting, and the breastplate and shoulder arch plates are hinged by vinyl so as to allow the arch plates to bend “around” the neck.

I’ve been such a big promoter of the XV because of three chief attributes: 

1. Weight & ventilation – made possible by cultured research and experience (primarily due to football), and bold willingness to try...
  2. Use of advanced materials – instead of stubbornly sticking to upholstery foam and nylon, Schutt experimented with the TPU-EVA foam and wicking mesh crucial to their NFL-caliber helmets. This foam is, by nature, lower profile and hydrophobic, meaning it sheds water. Highly beneficial! How is it possible, therefore, to get all these new materials, at a...
  3. Cost that’s realistic – the XV represents the third progression of a CP from Schutt, and all three have been in a $68–$89 window since their inception. Conversely, the Wilson CPs have existed, concurrently and unaltered (read: unimproved) for 20-some years, and have only recently come down in price from $200+!!!

I have relied upon and used the XV for coming up on seven years, and the past five have been staring down legitimate Major League pitching and hitting. I’ve taken direct fouls in this environment (yes, even a few at the clavicles), and have not suffered for it. For good spans of my summer months, I’m calling college & Minor League -caliber pitching, and again, I feel more than adequately protected.

Do I expect everyone to feel this same security and confidence? No. Everyone is different, both in body type and disposition. If you feel that a CPU4000 will, or even might, be a better solution for you, then godspeed and good luck! The only thing I bristle at is someone (especially someone in a position of influence, such as the “Health & Safety Umpire” for MLB) telling novice umpires that this particular CP (cough cough Wilson Gold cough cough) is the “only one you need”.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm looking forward to being able to see the Cobalt and System7 side-by-side. My only issue with the S7 was the obnoxiously small neck area. From what I have gathered, the Cobalt has solved this issue. 

The 7 would rub my neck so much my neck would actually drip blood.  Had to wear it through a 14 inning game.  Man, that really hurt.  I even did the basketball in the neck hole trick.  Helped some, but obviously not enough.  Excited to get the Cobalt.

8 minutes ago, umpstu said:

The 7 would rub my neck so much my neck would actually drip blood.  Had to wear it through a 14 inning game.  Man, that really hurt.  I even did the basketball in the neck hole trick.  Helped some, but obviously not enough.  Excited to get the Cobalt.

I had gotten a S7 when I was looking for a new cp a few years back along with a XV and some others.  I instantly sent it back to Ump-attire because I couldn't get it over my melon.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, Aging_Arbiter said:

I guess that's where being built like a fire plug and having an 18.5 inch neck does some good!  Fits me extremely well.

Heh! I have an 18" neck. My brother is a chiropractor and says adjusting my neck is like adjusting a horse.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now when @JimKirk and Ty did their NASO presentation, Jim mentioned that they had some news to release Thursday night.  Now that I sat through the entire event, I know he had to be sitting back like "The Joker" in Batman for a couple of days................."Wait til they get a load of me"!

• Haha 1

Lots of talk about the new Cobalt...but I see that there’s another new CP from All Star on the Ump Attire website. How about that F3 clone-looking soft cover hard shell? Looks interesting. Has it been out for awhile or is it as new as the Cobalt?

5 minutes ago, BretMan said:

Lots of talk about the new Cobalt...but I see that there’s another new CP from All Star on the Ump Attire website. How about that F3 clone-looking soft cover hard shell? Looks interesting. Has it been out for awhile or is it as new as the Cobalt?

That got introduced at around the 1:20 mark in the video yesterday. That thing looks pretty sweet too