New All-Star Gear

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looks like the new All-star gear is going to be out there soon.

image.thumb.png.365e214f42082d244f51666cfeba13cb.png

https://www.outwestofficials.com/collections/chest-protectors/products/all-star-cobalt-pro-series-umpire-chest-protector

https://www.outwestofficials.com/collections/shin-guards/products/all-star-cobalt-pro-umpire-leg-guards

Others know way more about protective gear than I do, so I won't say anything about the functional aspect. But I think the CP looks awesome!

My only question on the c/p is if the padding is removable for cleaning. That's a great feature of my System 7. In fact I've got a spare set that quickly velcro in for a fresh c/p between games. 

Found it!

Patented central cooling channel with removable and washable chest pads (or swap in a second dry set for long tournament series).

56 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I wish the photos for the CP were a little better. 

Product is not finished yet. We are meeting with them next week to go over things before production begins. Full and accurate details to come when the time is right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is Out West a legit good company to buy from?  Seems like a great deal (assuming the product is good, but it looks like an updated CPU4000, and it's from All-Star, so I think that's a given).  Saving the extra $45 with the pre-order makes this appealing!

Oh, and let's give @JimKirk some love too.   Did anyone see this new beauty available at UA?  Now, you don't have to buy a silver one and send it off for powder-coating anymore.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Masks/FM4000-MBK_All-Star-Matte-Black-System-7-Steel-Umpire-Mask-with-UltraCool#

image.thumb.png.8c3def445a0054f1b910191b729ed7cb.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

@MadMax you have to love these updates.  If I didn't know better, I'd say you were working at All Star now!

Hole-y foam!   I'm not sure if D3O but looks similar.  

Washable padding. 

Center cooling channel. 

Thin profile. 

Hard shell extension. 

And look at that short-billed umpire helmet - just like you've been telling me about needing built for a long while now!

Finally, a $125 introductory price (shipped to you) for the CP seems like a great deal too.  Now, I gotta go ask the wife for a loan.

I like that you can shorten the CP and it's 12.5 as opposed to 12 (their old version had 2 styles, 12 and 15 ....)

I like that you can take off the gap-cap if you'd like ....

I like the 'air-channel' (always have) ....and removable / washable padding .....

HOWEVER ... is the yellow band of padding inside the helmet "extra" protection?  If so, it doesn't look like it continues along the front (bill side) and only along the back for a 'catcher'? 

I have to decide today if I should return a Schutt XV-HDX or not - I was going to have it as my second Schutt/Adams, as back-up, but I would like a little more protection - can anyone guess if this new All-Star (or the old one) provides better protection than the XV-HDX?  Seems like the plates on this are 3.7mm vs. what I think is 3.0mm on the XV-HDX - that seems like it might be significant, but I'm just guessing.

7 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Maybe it's not an updated pic? Only OutWest has this out so far, so maybe they have an old pic? Let's hope there's more coming.

Well .... the pic must be of a prototype according to @JimKirk ...as he stated production hasn't started yet.  So, the photo, and the one Dax has on the video that's posted are probably one in the same.   I'm trying to verify w/ Brad @ All Star, but ...nothing yet ..........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I have to decide today if I should return a Schutt XV-HDX or not - I was going to have it as my second Schutt/Adams, as back-up, but I would like a little more protection - can anyone guess if this new All-Star (or the old one) provides better protection than the XV-HDX?  Seems like the plates on this are 3.7mm vs. what I think is 3.0mm on the XV-HDX - that seems like it might be significant, but I'm just guessing.

Hey Rock, would you recommend an XV-HDX for HS varsity ball? I just bought one for summer travel ball because I wanted something that ventilates better than a Wilson WV Gold. I haven't had a chance to use it yet myself, saw you chimed in on this and wanted to ask you...

~Dog

5 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Hey Rock, would you recommend an XV-HDX for HS varsity ball? I just bought one for summer travel ball because I wanted something that ventilates better than a Wilson WV Gold. I haven't had a chance to use it yet myself, saw you chimed in on this and wanted to ask you...

~Dog

I think @MadMax would be better able to comment, but past post of his (if I recall correctly) have him using it at the collegiate and minor league level.  I love it - except I've been stung a couple of times with shots that weren't close to collegiate level, so I'm not sure if they were just in a bad spot or what, but it has me thinking about returning the one I just purchased as a backup (haven't worn it yet) to my primary XV-HDX.  I'm wavering on the return, especially since this new All-Star is an unknown right now, but I have to return it tomorrow, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  The AS looks great though, and generally I've found AS gear is top-notch, so I'm leaning towards that.

10 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Oh, and let's give @JimKirk some love too.   Did anyone see this new beauty available at UA?  Now, you don't have to buy a silver one and send it off for powder-coating anymore.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Masks/FM4000-MBK_All-Star-Matte-Black-System-7-Steel-Umpire-Mask-with-UltraCool#

image.thumb.png.8c3def445a0054f1b910191b729ed7cb.png

I love this mask - I have two of them (although I had to pay to get it powdercoated to look like that!)!  

I remember seeing this a week or so ago in a post on Umplife FB page that gaa since been removed. I remember Ray pointing out the location of the clips being almost front and center on the prototype photo. 

@JimKirk, i imagine this has already come up in the past. But can you recommend to All Star moving them back out of the way?

@Rock Bottom and @SeeingEyeDog

I saw you haven't had responses to your questions yet.

1. The HDX-XV is a great summer ball protector because of it's breathing-ability mainly.  I've wore it in Varsity and Sr. Legion ball, but I feel much safer in my Gold.  I think it is safe to wear at upper levels as well, but you have to do what Max did with his if you want to be safe.  He spent some time molding it with a heat gun and making it fit his body perfectly.   If you wear it out of the box, then you are going to feel some hits.  I did and I absolutely hate the Schutt/Adams cheap Velcro, so I don't own one of these anymore.  I do love that D3O foam though!  If I had a D3O foam jacket for my Gold - man, that'd be about as close to perfect for me as it can get!
  2. In my opinion, any hard-shell All Star product is going to be a safer option than the Schutt/Adams HDX-XV.   The plastic is thicker and won't break.  I've heard of guys who had their HDX-XV carapace crack, but only after several hundred games.  The holes that allow it to breathe also make it easier to crack over time.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My System 7 buckles are off to the side, not in front, over the hardshell. Perhaps (hopefully) they're movable, and can easily be placed on the side.

Aside from that, there's lots of good features, especially the easily removed and washable pads. I love that on my S7.

Maybe they'll be carbon fiber, like we were talking about several years ago.

Brad, I still like that first pattern you showed me.

Oh, and another feature I like on my S7 is the dip on either side that just covers my last rib. That's a great design feature, if it fits you right, as mine does.