Really low eBay prices all of a sudden - are they legit?

38 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

It looks like someone is taking your money for your Ebay purchases and then using stolen cards to place orders with us to have them shipped directly to you.

We have a system that detects suspicious orders (and rarely have an issue). We have 3 pending that we have not shipped from the past week where we are awaiting manual confirmation that it’s legit, but looks like some have at least 2 to fall through the cracks.

We also have just found 3 orders in transit that we were able to stop to return to us including yours @The Short Umpire.

We are reaching out to Ebay to report.

A bad apple causing problems. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

I'm disappointed eBay isn't doing a better job of catching this on the front end.

• Like 2
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jim do you price match?  Asking for a friend (Arik). 

It looks like someone is taking your money for your Ebay purchases and then using stolen cards to place orders with us to have them shipped directly to you. We have a system that detects suspicio

FYI, there is a "REPORT THIS ITEM" button on every EBay item listing. From the item listing page if you scroll down about a screen it's on the right said. They don't have a text box, just a bunch of d

Posted Images

9 hours ago, JimKirk said:

It looks like someone is taking your money for your Ebay purchases and then using stolen cards to place orders with us to have them shipped directly to you.

We have a system that detects suspicious orders (and rarely have an issue). We have 3 pending that we have not shipped from the past week where we are awaiting manual confirmation that it’s legit, but looks like some have at least 2 to fall through the cracks.

We also have just found 3 orders in transit that we were able to stop to return to us including yours @The Short Umpire.

We are reaching out to Ebay to report.

A bad apple causing problems. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

Go get em Jim! Sadly, I bet they have made a killing off of this. 

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Go get em Jim! Sadly, I bet they have made a killing off of this. 

Most of the orders we have uncovered were not shipped or we were able to have UPS return in transit. This just started last week and considering most free shipping orders ship a day or 2 later, that gave us time for this scheme to come to light before it did too much damage.

Our system that detects fraudulent orders is based on when there are certain parameters AND the person getting the order has NEVER ordered from us. We stop 99.999% of any those attempts.

In this case, orders were to be sent to recognizable customers after we double checked. So, this was the first scheme of its kind in the 14+ years in business.

We are currently flagging any orders for those particular items for now so that scheme is ultimately done before it got too far.

You guys and Umpire Empire get the assist on that. You are now crime-fighters.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Most of the orders we have uncovered were not shipped or we were able to have UPS return in transit. This just started last week and considering most free shipping orders ship a day or 2 later, that gave us time for this scheme to come to light before it did too much damage.

Our system that detects fraudulent orders is based on when there are certain parameters AND the person getting the order has NEVER ordered from us. We stop 99.999% of any those attempts.

In this case, orders were to be sent to recognizable customers after we double checked. So, this was the first scheme of its kind in the 14+ years in business.

We are currently flagging any orders for those particular items for now so that scheme is ultimately done before it got too far.

You guys and Umpire Empire get the assist on that. You are now crime-fighters.

For what it's worth, eBay has removed all the postings that were out there.  I might add 'for now' as I believe that they will try again, possibly not on eBay though.  At a minimum, we caught them pretty fast with umpire gear, so I bet they move on to other pastures.

CORRECTION:  This guy is still out there selling stuff at discounts (mostly gear bags) but one of his seller feedbacks mentions Ump-Attire.

image.png.95c749456282592c59b0ce27419dd355.png

image.thumb.png.26f0287f12a07128d4f025e6839d8dce.png

I spoke with EBay today and they are refunding my money and said they will remove the postings from the two sellers I bought from. Once I get return shipping info from Ump-attire they will add it to the file to show I returned the items of the sellers try to question why the money was returned. 

6 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Also an interesting and fascinating look at the sort of headaches a guy like Jim and his team deal with on a likely frequent basis (not this specific example but fraudulent orders, etc) that most of us would have no idea about.

I work at the largest US bank (and one of the top world banks) and you'd be amazed how much has changed in the last few years in terms of fraud prevention and identification.  It's a hot-button issue and there is a lot of money being thrown to these areas to try to prevent these things from happening at all.   When they do happen, the banks works very closely with law enforcement to try to get the bad guys arrested and prosecuted.   The problem is that many of these who choose to do this are not in the US, but from a foreign country, and many times a nation where we cannot reach them.

• Like 1