Opinions on old style strike calls?

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1325 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Is it practical to use older strike mechanics nowadays? For example the Jerry Crawford hand-into-fist mechanic. I really like how these look and wondering if it would look out of place in current umpiring. Let me know your favorite mechanics of older umpires too!

Nothing dictates a strike mechanic. So you can do the Leslie Nielsen thing if you want.

FejZhRP.gif

But: remember that the point of all mechanics is communication. If you're using a mechanic that nobody recognizes as a strike signal, then you're thwarting the purpose of having a signal at all.

• Like 1

I would also say, especially as you are starting out, that you don't want to "stand out" with your call -- either overly flamboyant or overly subdued (for your area / level).  Nor, of course, do you want to be overly robotic and the same as everyone else (unless that's what's expected -- as it is on some levels and some bat/ball sports).  The trick is to find the balance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dutch

Notice the bar mask? Notice the strike without catcher catching the pitch running in on him. Notice the drawn out voiced strike call in which Jim Joyce was probably the last you will hear of that.

And of course the best right now bar none for your enjoyment, but you will probably not see this in 5 more years so enjoy it now again next year.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:37 PM, Scissors said:

Is it practical to use older strike mechanics nowadays? For example the Jerry Crawford hand-into-fist mechanic. I really like how these look and wondering if it would look out of place in current umpiring. Let me know your favorite mechanics of older umpires too!

it's called the 'hammer' and ....if you look ......there are still a few who use this mechanic in the Bigs ........NOTHING wrong with it.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:37 PM, Scissors said:

...wondering if it would look out of place in current umpiring.

Ron Luciano used to say that his animated style was his way of having some fun. And why not? I hate the robotic look. Let robots be robotic, but allow umpires some individual expression, as long as the signals are readily understood.

Well a lot of Umps I know, who float above the level I do and back, like the point.  

Personally I do the hammer because LL tells me that's what they want and they want continuity behind the plate.

The other thing I don't like seeing with these guys at the LL level when they point.. THEY FOLLOW their damn finger with their head.   Thats somewhat OK when you have a 3,4 or 6 man team.  

However when its 1 or 2 man DONT do that cause then your eyes are off the field and you are more than likely to miss something. 

Then if you are alone you got no one to ask for help with and when you do have help he looks at you and says well I did not see it either...   :Facepalm:

I switched from hammer to point a couple of years ago, as I got more experienced. It wound up that it helped me slow down my timing, and my strike zone/B/S calls got much more consistent, and of course better.

I started with looking to the side of the point when no one was on, and not looking to the side with runners on. That was fine, BUT some of the coaches I would see a lot at the older levels could pick up on if I was off a little in my mechanics, which would translate to questions. So I started "switching it up" a little, by waiting on making my strike call. For example, with runners on I would wait a second or two to see if any action on the bases, and if none, would turn my head to the point side with the call. If there was action, I would call the strike once I made a decision on interference/no interference. In conjunction with the wait and see on the strike call, I needed to slow my call on balls, and on swings, to keep it looking consistent.

Now, I am slow all the way around, and will even mix in a head nod on a big curve ball that drops in, or a fastball at the knees, before I make a call. Complaints are way down and out of the "ordinary" now, so pointing helped me improve. 

Oh, and I change up my strike 3 all the time, for fun!

I went back to the hammer this season (and made the decision b4 the pandemic), so for me it’s now a “newer” strike mechanic. It was immediately a comfortable relaxed old best friend. I first grooved it during 2 weekend WR LL clinics, then a San Bernardino week long, then Evans’ Week long in Tucson (and all the games in between). I then joined our h.s. association which required the hammer for all 1st year umpires, after which we were “permitted” to go out to the side, like a side strike mechanic was a promotion and a badge of accomplishment—so we naturally all did it. I spent the next few years grooving a side strike mechanic, fiddling with it, taking different things from various partners who I admired. Always got great feedback on my side-strike mechanic.

Then sometime last winter as I was writing down my 2020 umpiring goals, I came to the conclusion that going back to the hammer would help me accomplish some of those goals. And I believe it has. I think it’s also helped my timing, not hurt it. But that’s just me. One of my favorite partners is an NCAA umpire who says his side strike mechanic helps his timing over the hammer. And I believe him. As far as visually, I’ve seen hammers that look weak, I’ve seen hammers that look strong, I’ve seen points that look weak, others that look strong. For me, the hammer is working for me. I’m a firm believer in consciously doing what works, for each umpire.

I think most umpires in my state would all agree who the best amateur baseball umpire in my state is, a 70+ year old guy who still has the right stuff. He umpired some of my high school games, and I’m 57. Funny thing is he has at least 4 different called strike mechanics I’ve seen him use in the same game. We laugh (as we count them), and he says that different strikes feel differently, and those differences just get expressed out of his body as he communicates his call. And each one of those signaling mechanics is graceful, and emphatic. 

IMO, there are advantages and disadvantages to both strike mechanic styles. I’d suggest consciously doing what works for you.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:19 AM, Recontra said:

I then joined our h.s. association which required the hammer for all 1st year umpires, after which we were “permitted” to go out to the side...

Then your HS association is crap, and the leadership a pack of draconian morons. I don’t care if there are former MLB, MiLB, or NCAA guys leading that association... are they actively training you guys, or just passively instituting these “rules” and directives? If they’re actively training, then I apologize... but if they’re not (and it sounds like they’re not), then poo-poo and foo-foo on them, because those sorts of “rules”, devoid of the reasons or rationale behind them, are meaningless and accomplish nothing.

And before someone says, “But Max! They force you to do that (hammer on strikes, particular stances, read steps on everything, etc.) in school!”... yes, yes they do. It’s school, where they are actively instructing, training, and developing you guys. The important component here is that school is providing the reason and rationale for why we are to do a particular mechanic, or use a particular stance, or practice implementing read steps until we can distinguish when to. I see very few associations do this; they lack the framework, they lack the resources, and – most importantly – they lack people who have the personality, demeanor, and dedication to be effective trainers.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:19 AM, Recontra said:

IMO, there are advantages and disadvantages to both strike mechanic styles.

Heh, are there just two styles? I’d argue there are several and numerous styles. Anything’s possible, so long as it is based on the reasons why, and is effectual in doing so.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, MadMax said:

Heh, are there just two styles? I’d argue there are several and numerous styles. Anything’s possible, so long as it is based on the reasons why, and is effectual in doing so.

Can't disagree with that! I know two veterans who use the scissors, and they are rock solid behind the plate. Not unusual for me to say to them in the post-game in the parking lot, "Dude, I don't think you missed a single pitch!"

I do Little League, and the instructions tell us to stay facing forward and give the hammer for a strike.  I admit that some style is allowed and it's not a big deal.

However, I cut my teeth doing LL baseball and softball BY MYSELF!  I found it important to keep my face forward as much as possible so I could follow the ball and observe any other play as much as possible.  Thus, I am quite comfortable staying square to the infield.  As for a called Strike 3, I'll start the chainsaw and put a little drama there. But I'll keep my head forward.  A U3K requires constant attention IMO.

Mike

Las Vegas

My assignor gets grumpy if anyone does anything but the hammer, because most guys turn their heads if they point.  OHSAA says to hammer and keep eyes forward.

For the most part, I stick with the hammer.  I've tried different ways, but that feels fine to me and keeps me focused, so I stick with it.

For Strike 3, I vocalize more and do more of a chainsaw motion also.  It's not over-the-top and I don't "sell" it as much if the batter walks away in agreement quickly so I don't embarrass anyone. I still do the chainsaw, but may dial my volume back a bit.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

My assignor gets grumpy if anyone does anything but the hammer, because most guys turn their heads if they point.  OHSAA says to hammer and keep eyes forward.

For the most part, I stick with the hammer.  I've tried different ways, but that feels fine to me and keeps me focused, so I stick with it.

For Strike 3, I vocalize more and do more of a chainsaw motion also.  It's not over-the-top and I don't "sell" it as much if the batter walks away in agreement quickly so I don't embarrass anyone. I still do the chainsaw, but may dial my volume back a bit.

I like it! The dial back on an agreed upon called strike 3.

A kindler, gentler umpire...for a more civilized age.

~Dog

Hopefully, I will know when my last game behind the plate is. And when it is, I'm going to invite all my family and friends to the game and take them all out to eat afterwards to celebrate the end of my "career".

I'm also going to use Dutch Rennert's strike mechanic in that game...and I'll post the footage right here.

When I see him work, I don't know whether to laugh or cry...he was a beautiful guy back there. Thank you so much for sharing this.

~Dog