Does a sun visor work with the All-Star magnesium?

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1351 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am upgrading from a Wilson steel to an All-Star magnesium and like the look of the sun visor, just wondering if it will work with the All star. Also, have you found any use for the visor aside from looks? I like the look but realize it does literally nothing over the brim of a hat that I can tell. 

Oh Jeffffffffffffffff ( @Thunderheads )!!!! Jeff, Jeff, Jeff!!! Your ears better be burning!!!

I have several masks (more than 2, less than 10)  that I rotate between, and each of them has a sun visor... save one. The All-Star FM4000. I have been absolutely flummoxed as to why All-Star won’t make one; but of course, who has one in his FM4000?! Jeff!! 

Grrrrr.

Do not besmirch the power of the visor! It ain’t just a bling-y accessory! When you’re doing 2 plate games at midday, with a cloudless sky, you are treasuring any... any... shade you can get over your overworked eyes. There are days I’d actually prefer a welding mask, if it was well ventilated, and also contemplate using a coulee hat or a sombrero. Then too, as @Umpire43 points out, if/when you’re calling a game in mist, drizzle, or (heavens forbid!) rain, the visor also provides a surface for water to bead up and run off to the side, so you’re not having the bill if your cap get wet and release a water droplet across your vision just as the pitcher is delivering.

Only 1 of my arsenal of masks lacks a visor. Now, with that said, I ran across a catcher, sporting a FM4000, with a visor! I thought I saw a white tiger, or an AirWhale (or a plummeting bowl of petunias). When I asked the catcher how he got a visor for it, he replied, “It’s a junior-sized visor.”

This story now reminds me I have to on All-Star’s store site and track down a junior mask visor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Oh Jeffffffffffffffff ( @Thunderheads )!!!! Jeff, Jeff, Jeff!!! Your ears better be burning!!!

I have several masks (more than 2, less than 10)  that I rotate between, and each of them has a sun visor... save one. The All-Star FM4000. I have been absolutely flummoxed as to why All-Star won’t make one; but of course, who has one in his FM4000?! Jeff!! 

Grrrrr.

Do not besmirch the power of the visor! It ain’t just a bling-y accessory! When you’re doing 2 plate games at midday, with a cloudless sky, you are treasuring any... any... shade you can get over your overworked eyes. There are days I’d actually prefer a welding mask, if it was well ventilated, and also contemplate using a coulee hat or a sombrero. Then too, as @Umpire43 points out, if/when you’re calling a game in mist, drizzle, or (heavens forbid!) rain, the visor also provides a surface for water to bead up and run off to the side, so you’re not having the bill if your cap get wet and release a water droplet across your vision just as the pitcher is delivering.

Only 1 of my arsenal of masks lacks a visor. Now, with that said, I ran across a catcher, sporting a FM4000, with a visor! I thought I saw a white tiger, or an AirWhale (or a plummeting bowl of petunias). When I asked the catcher how he got a visor for it, he replied, “It’s a junior-sized visor.”

This story now reminds me I have to on All-Star’s store site and track down a junior mask visor.

So the standard one definitely won't fit? That's a shame. Thanks for the info though!

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Grrrrr.

@MadMax ... your posts always make me laugh! (in a good way!)  You are correct, I've begged Brad and he says "NO" .... (asked him 10 times at least).  Anyhow....yes, mine is handmade that I VERY PATIENTLY cut to size to fit.  Now, it doesn't fit that great, but if you don't examine it too closely, it still looks pretty good! ;)   This junior sized one however, ....not THAT has me intrigued because my FM visor is showing some mileage!  Here's my MAG before I put a "samurai" TG on it .......

FINISHED MAG.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I too have a visor on all 6 of my mask. I assume it does something but since I don’t have one without I can’t say. Also don’t have a All Star  but If I did I would find a way to get a visor on it. 

On 6/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, MadMax said:

Grrrrr.

Hey @MadMax was you ever able to run down one of those junior visors? I haven’t had any luck finding such. 

On 6/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, MadMax said:

Grrrrr.

Is your fm4000 the silver one?   I have one and it reflects enough that I think I'm seeing stars.  Wish I had a visor.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:37 PM, umpstu said:

Is your fm4000 the silver one?   I have one and it reflects enough that I think I'm seeing stars.  Wish I had a visor.

I have (well, had now it's black) a silver FM4000 steel, but got it powdercoated a matte black over the winter and love it even more now -- definitely less reflection.

1 hour ago, Rock Bottom said:

I have (well, had now it's black) a silver FM4000 steel, but got it powdercoated a matte black over the winter and love it even more now -- definitely less reflection.

Ump-Attire has the matte black FM4000 steel mask in stock now for only $99 and FREE shipping at $99!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, wolfe_man said:

Ump-Attire has the matte black FM4000 steel mask in stock now for only $99 and FREE shipping at $99!

Ordered, received (even on the road, here!), and just used last night. My custom powdercoated FM4K has gotten beat up (the eyeport bar took another foul ball, and got bent for the third time), so I’ll be pounding it back out and “retiring” it to be my “back up north” mask. I’ll keep it with a few shirts, some hockey shins (so I can use them for skating, too), a rebuilt Schutt AiR Flex II, some polyspandex slacks in Combo... just so I can call games, if needed, while I’m up visiting from Arizona and don’t have my primary gear bag.

Still could use a visor... actually, 2 visors now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, MadMax said:

The All-Star FM4000. I have been absolutely flummoxed as to why All-Star won’t make one

Based on your comments, I made the suggestion to All-Star 2 weeks ago. They were interested. Stay tuned.

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Based on your comments, I made the suggestion to All-Star 2 weeks ago. They were interested. Stay tuned.

WHAT?   We've been asking Brad Jurga for YEARS for on a visor for the FM stuff ...... "NOPE" was all I every got ....   hopefully @JimKirk has the magic touch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

That is interesting that they would flat not be interested. There HAS TO BE a catcher somewhere that wants a visor for his mask.

AGREE!!!!!!

I've been asking since I 'custom-made' mine for FM4000 years ago!  Oh well, we'll see!

Yes! But we have not found something we like. We are still tinkering.

Grrrr... You’re not going to “find” an existing, conventional visor for such an advanced, unconventional mask! You (All-Star) have had something like seven years now to find a visor, and it should have become evident in that first year that the FM4000 needs its own bespoke visor. Someone has the CAD file for the FM4000 planform... sooooooo... fish it out, do some curve and spline matching, create a visor model, and voilá, send it off to fabrication! Can’t be that hard! 

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Grrrr... You’re not going to “find” an existing, conventional visor for such an advanced, unconventional mask! You (All-Star) have had something like seven years now to find a visor, and it should have become evident in that first year that the FM4000 needs its own bespoke visor. Someone has the CAD file for the FM4000 planform... sooooooo... fish it out, do some curve and spline matching, create a visor model, and voilá, send it off to fabrication! Can’t be that hard! 

:ranton:And while we're on this sun visor topic.   Am I the only one who wishes they would cover the entire top half of the inside of the mask?    Force 3 is the best fitting sun visor I have ever seen on a mask.  Outside of F3 though, it can be a pain in the neck for someone who is a neat freak like me to fit one of these into the top of a mask by attaching it to the padding. Then, it will shift or make the pads fit uneven or something like that that drives me crazy!    I wish it would offer full coverage from side-to-side (ear-to-ear along top eye port) and from the eye opening up to the top of the mask a la F3.

While we're inventing the perfect sun visor for the FM4000 steel and mag mask platform, let's also update and fix the "other" visors so they ensure "full coverage" and look great too!

Notice how F3's visor is fuller  (bar-to-bar coverage) and even all along the bottom and top of the mask?  They don't have the stupid black plastic bar at the top of their visor either, like every other manufacturer does.  There are times I wish F3 would make a conventional mask without springs as their stuff is top quality.  I wish I had the capability and equipment to manufacture my own gear.  I know I am nit-picky, but I like what I like and what I'd produce would be top-notch. :rantoff:

Pro Mask Sun Shield Online at $19.95 - Force3 Pro Gear  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Force 3 is the best fitting sun visor I have ever seen on a mask.

Because, just like All-Star is encountering, there isn’t a conventional (ie. “cheap”) part that will fit the unique geometry the Defender has. Force3 used the CAD file, created, commissioned, and produced a great visor that fits completely in a Defender... but... (here’s the part that just confounds the beancounters in a company, who ultimately shoot down any ideas like this)... doesn’t fit any other mask on the market. 

That’s what is ultimately stifling this product – that it’s something that doesn’t have market-wide appeal (limited to just the FM4K models), and is perceived as being yet another entry in an over-saturated market of $12 visors from Markwort, Diamond, Champro and any other no-name ho-hum brands. They think no one will care, and that no one will buy it off a retail peg.

We gotta change that perception.

1 minute ago, MadMax said:

Because, just like All-Star is encountering, there isn’t a conventional (ie. “cheap”) part that will fit the unique geometry the Defender has. Force3 used the CAD file, created, commissioned, and produced a great visor that fits completely in a Defender... but... (here’s the part that just confounds the beancounters in a company, who ultimately shoot down any ideas like this)... doesn’t fit any other mask on the market. 

That’s what is ultimately stifling this product – that it’s something that doesn’t have market-wide appeal (limited to just the FM4K models), and is perceived as being yet another entry in an over-saturated market of $12 visors from Markwort, Diamond, Champro and any other no-name ho-hum brands. They think no one will care, and that no one will buy it off a retail peg.

We gotta change that perception.

You show me the product and I'll put down my funds!

I am in agreement though.  There's a lot of good companies being held back by bean-counters.  I get that we're a small market, but there can't be that large of a cost to produce these and... here's an original thought... build the pricing into the mask and include on with it!