Jump to content
cyclonehokiece

Starting with some Fireworks

Recommended Posts

Had a few in my first few weeks.  Both games FED with white sheet mods.

14U, Tournament Final, Bottom 4, 1 out, R1, R2, runners take off to steal, F2 throws to third to get R2, R2 doesn't slide, I judge tag happened before foot reached base, I call out.  Coach responds with "Jesus F***ing Christ".  I toss.  About 30 seconds realizes he is in the wrong and leaves.  Easy enough.

Then about a week later, 10U, which has a rule that runner cannot leave until ball leaves pitcher hand (so working from outside to observe runners).  2nd game of doubleheader.  Top 2nd Inning, the defensive team thinks R1 leaving early, makes comment from bench, I ignore.  Next pitch, defensive team thinks now R2 left early, comments coming from bench.  I put up my hand and say "That's enough, I am watching, I have this under control".  Bottom 3, this team on offense 2 outs and R1.  R1 steals legally on pitch, but stops when my partner calls the pitch by saying "Ball" (note he is behind pitcher per COVID protocols).  Runner stops running, gets tagged out.  Head coach comes back saying "You can't say anything on a Ball".  My partner ignores.  Top 4, R1, 1 out, R1 I judge leaves legally to steal second.  Defensive Head Coach now comes to foul line and shouts "He is leaving early again, how can you miss that?"  At this point I approach him and say "That's enough, you are restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game."  He now goes off, still yelling, saying "it's my job to tell you this" and "the other team agrees he is leaving early" along with other derogatory things about my performance that I could not remember word for word.  All this time he is not proceeding to the dugout.  So at this point I eject him.  He responds with saying "you are on a power trip" and "you screw up and throw me out" but he leaves and the game ends without further incident.

Hope things quiet down the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cyclonehokiece said:

Had a few in my first few weeks.  Both games FED with white sheet mods.

14U, Tournament Final, Bottom 4, 1 out, R1, R2, runners take off to steal, F2 throws to third to get R2, R2 doesn't slide, I judge tag happened before foot reached base, I call out.  Coach responds with "Jesus F***ing Christ".  I toss.  About 30 seconds realizes he is in the wrong and leaves.  Easy enough.

Then about a week later, 10U, which has a rule that runner cannot leave until ball leaves pitcher hand (so working from outside to observe runners).  2nd game of doubleheader.  Top 2nd Inning, the defensive team thinks R1 leaving early, makes comment from bench, I ignore.  Next pitch, defensive team thinks now R2 left early, comments coming from bench.  I put up my hand and say "That's enough, I am watching, I have this under control".  Bottom 3, this team on offense 2 outs and R1.  R1 steals legally on pitch, but stops when my partner calls the pitch by saying "Ball" (note he is behind pitcher per COVID protocols).  Runner stops running, gets tagged out.  Head coach comes back saying "You can't say anything on a Ball".  My partner ignores.  Top 4, R1, 1 out, R1 I judge leaves legally to steal second.  Defensive Head Coach now comes to foul line and shouts "He is leaving early again, how can you miss that?"  At this point I approach him and say "That's enough, you are restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game."  He now goes off, still yelling, saying "it's my job to tell you this" and "the other team agrees he is leaving early" along with other derogatory things about my performance that I could not remember word for word.  All this time he is not proceeding to the dugout.  So at this point I eject him.  He responds with saying "you are on a power trip" and "you screw up and throw me out" but he leaves and the game ends without further incident.

Hope things quiet down the next few weeks.

Nothing like hobby coaches.  I cannot remember a single time having coaches or parents act like the people nowadays when I was playing ball in the 60's and 70's.  Even when I umpired, $2.00 a game for 11 games, nobody acted they do today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, umpstu said:

Nothing like hobby coaches.  I cannot remember a single time having coaches or parents act like the people nowadays when I was playing ball in the 60's and 70's.  Even when I umpired, $2.00 a game for 11 games, nobody acted they do today.

That's because they were too busy avoiding the dinosaurs back then ... :cheers:

I would have hoped people would have been excited enough to just be back ... oh wait.  This is 2020 ... never mind.  Being an a-hole is not just expected, it is a right.  I expect people are going to have a lot of pent up frustration and things will actually be worse.  I'm a cynic.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 8:11 AM, cyclonehokiece said:

Had a few in my first few weeks.  Both games FED with white sheet mods.

14U, Tournament Final, Bottom 4, 1 out, R1, R2, runners take off to steal, F2 throws to third to get R2, R2 doesn't slide, I judge tag happened before foot reached base, I call out.  Coach responds with "Jesus F***ing Christ".  I toss.  About 30 seconds realizes he is in the wrong and leaves.  Easy enough.

 

I would have said, "I know, I can't believe he didn't slide either!"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving early:  In Little League, you are supposed to use a signal flag.  I'm probably the only one that does!  But if I hear yipping from the dugout about the other team's runners leaving early, I call time, I reach into my pocket for my flag, and then I say, "I know how to use this!" in a stern voice.  Usually they get the message.

Ejection:  I wasn't there, but the chipping about the other runners you can take care of early.  And it's best you do.  Because if it continues, now you will be closer to the edge of where you are going to have to eject somebody.  Sounds to me, he was challenging the integrity of the the umpire crew.  Gone!  Period!  If he continues whining, clear the field, bring both the other team's manager and the new acting manager from the other team to the plate and discuss the ramifications of forfeiting the game because the "mouth" has a problem.

Not saying I would forfeit the game, but you need to get one of the other adults in charge fast, and have him control the situation.  Clearing the field sends then message, and it has worked every time I used it.  The games continued to conclusion rather than forfeit.

Mike

Las Vegas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

Leaving early:  In Little League, you are supposed to use a signal flag.  I'm probably the only one that does!  But if I hear yipping from the dugout about the other team's runners leaving early, I call time, I reach into my pocket for my flag, and then I say, "I know how to use this!" in a stern voice.  Usually they get the message.

Ejection:  I wasn't there, but the chipping about the other runners you can take care of early.  And it's best you do.  Because if it continues, now you will be closer to the edge of where you are going to have to eject somebody.  Sounds to me, he was challenging the integrity of the the umpire crew.  Gone!  Period!  If he continues whining, clear the field, bring both the other team's manager and the new acting manager from the other team to the plate and discuss the ramifications of forfeiting the game because the "mouth" has a problem.

Not saying I would forfeit the game, but you need to get one of the other adults in charge fast, and have him control the situation.  Clearing the field sends then message, and it has worked every time I used it.  The games continued to conclusion rather than forfeit.

Mike

Las Vegas

We don’t use the flag in these non-Little League leagues so can’t use your exact tactic, but I think the warning I gave was in the same spirit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 10:11 AM, cyclonehokiece said:

Hope things quiet down the next few weeks.

Sounds like great fun. At least you have the support of the tournament directors.

My son has been working perfect game every day (other than a combined 7) since June 14th when they reopened.  He is up there with several college umps out-of-work. Of the 18 guys they started with they have had to replace 10 that walked off the field--and I don't blame them. Being cursed out by 14 year olds and coaches is par for the course up there. Ejected folks are allowed back in the game if they complain to the director about how much they paid to play ball. A very respected SEC/Sun belt ump was told he was a fu*&%ing moron by a 14 year old who he ejected only to see him back on the field two innings later. The ump said he goes or I go--the director said we'll send you your money.

When there is no punishment the atmosphere becomes a free for all.

If he didn't absolutely need the money for college he would have been gone a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, aaluck said:

Sounds like great fun. At least you have the support of the tournament directors.

My son has been working perfect game every day (other than a combined 7) since June 14th when they reopened.  He is up there with several college umps out-of-work. Of the 18 guys they started with they have had to replace 10 that walked off the field--and I don't blame them. Being cursed out by 14 year olds and coaches is par for the course up there. Ejected folks are allowed back in the game if they complain to the director about how much they paid to play ball. A very respected SEC/Sun belt ump was told he was a fu*&%ing moron by a 14 year old who he ejected only to see him back on the field two innings later. The ump said he goes or I go--the director said we'll send you your money.

When there is no punishment the atmosphere becomes a free for all.

If he didn't absolutely need the money for college he would have been gone a long time ago.

Yeah I would not work a game if a TD overturned my EJ during the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 10:11 AM, cyclonehokiece said:

Hope things quiet down the next few weeks.

I wish I could say it quieted down, but no.  One of my partners got a HC for arguing an obstruction call, after he had already been warned by me for arguing balls and strikes.  
 

I also had another one in a 16U tournament pool game that had implications on going to the final (due to rain earlier in the weekend there was only a championship game and the HT needed to win by a certain margin to advance).  Bottom 1, leadoff hitter gets hit by pitch and steals second to become R2.  B2 laces a hit to right center.  R2 rounds third to go home, throw comes in wild to the backside of plate.  R2 makes no effort to pull up, go around, or avoid colliding with the catcher right as he is at the plate (note catcher was not blocking plate without ball as he was on backside).  As well I see R2 hit catcher with shoulder.  I immediately call time, call out and eject R2.  Home Head Coach hems and haws for a bit about the call but heeds the “That’s enough” warning.  Team has to take an out every time leadoff spot comes up because of lack of sub.  Did factor in game.

Just another day at the ballfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of guys I know sent an assistant packing recently. The guy would not leave and said, "You're not man enough to make me leave." Well, after telling the head coach to get him out of the area or the game was over, the guy left. However, he only got a one gamer after objecting to a Runners Lane Interference Call. I looked at the video and sure enough the kid is running in fair territory when he got hit. Good call.

It seems that the powers that be should have given him an extra game (beyond the normal one gamer) off for refusing to leave and then basically threatening them to try and remove him physically. What do they want an actual physical altercation on the field to finally take some serious action? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

It seems that the powers that be should have given him an extra game (beyond the normal one gamer) off for refusing to leave and then basically threatening them to try and remove him physically. What do they want an actual physical altercation on the field to finally take some serious action? 

Cause they know who butters their bread and it isn’t the umpires.  Physical fights lead to liability though so they need to put an end to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

It seems that the powers that be should have given him an extra game (beyond the normal one gamer) off for refusing to leave and then basically threatening them to try and remove him physically. What do they want an actual physical altercation on the field to finally take some serious action? 

Mike you are exactly right. He should have been eliminated from the entire tournament after the refusal and threat--regardless of whether the call was correct or not.

 

18 hours ago, cyclonehokiece said:

Cause they know who butters their bread and it isn’t the umpires.

And this is the lessons being taught to these coaches AND players all the way to 12U. If a coach is ejected only to return again (maybe even in the same game as happened in the above post) what lesson is sent to the kids--its okay to say and do whatever you want. 

The problem in 2020 is umps are hurting and need the money. Like my son, that would normally make between $5-8k between February and August for his school, umping at different locations in the Southeast, he only has ONE place to make any money. But that doesn't excuse the TD from doing their job. 

BTW--Go Pack Go, at least until all of the shenanigans start in September. Born in Beaver Dam, raised in Mayville a little NW of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...