Sign in to follow this  
PEPPER JACK

ITB SUBSTITUTIONS BEFORE ITB STARTS

Is the below scenario legal?

The goal is to put my fastest runner on second base.  No substitutions were used at the end of the 7 inning game.  The last batter that was out was in the #4 position, so she would be placed on second base and the #5 batter would be at the plate.

We are the visitor team.  I want to go to the home umpire before the ITB game begins and place a substitute in my lineup at the #1 spot.  The #1 player (fastest player) is now in the substitution column.  I now want to substitute the girl on second base with the new substitute (former #1 player).  Is this legal?  If not, is there another way to do this? 

No.  And ... no.  :D

You can use a substitute for the “placed runner”, but she would have to be a legal substitute.  If the “placed runner” is your pitcher or catcher, you could use a courtesy runner*.

The player that came out of the #1 position in the batting order can only re-enter in that same spot.

(And there is no “International” in the tiebreaker rule.  ;)  It’s just a tiebreaker rule.)

*Now that I have said that ... if the “placed runner” is your pitcher or catcher AND the tournament you are playing in is using the USA pool play rules, you could CR anybody you want.  Let me know if that is confusing.