Platinum West Vest uncomfortable to wear

I've umpired for 1 full season with the West Vest, and while it has protected me from some shots, it's never been truly comfortable. It will never sit flat against my chest, leaving some space, and the shoulders never seem to sit snug on my shoulders despite adjustment, this makes it slide around and uncomfortable, plus the shoulder pads looking gigantic and hard to get a shirt on and off. It rubs against my neck a good amount as well. I've heard that an aftermarket harness helps, but is it that significant? Really want to be more comfortable and slimmer looking this season. I'm 6'0 if that helps.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+1 on @Razzer's harness.  I also spent some time with a hair dryer heating up the shoulder plastic and bending/curving it down so it hugs my shoulders and fits much better.

An aftermarket harness make a huge difference.  The best one out there is made by @Razzer at umplife.  You can buy it from ump-attire.com or by it direct from him and he will personalize it with a nam

^^ This    

An aftermarket harness make a huge difference.  The best one out there is made by @Razzer at umplife.  You can buy it from ump-attire.com or by it direct from him and he will personalize it with a name and image if you want.  His facebook page is called umplife and to order any of his products direct you just email him at rbumpire37@gmail

• Like 2
9 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

An aftermarket harness make a huge difference.  The best one out there is made by @Razzer at umplife.  You can buy it from ump-attire.com or by it direct from him and he will personalize it with a name and image if you want.  His facebook page is called umplife and to order any of his products direct you just email him at rbumpire37@gmail

^^ This  

K Ok GIF by Originals

• Like 1

Rightly so, everyone who has posted advice so far regarding a new harness and heat-treating the Platinum is valid. That new harness is very likely to be the solution to that pesky, petrified Platinum.

If I was working to conform that Platinum to you, or me, or another wearer, on a custom level, I would:

1. Disassemble the CP completely.
  2. Remove (permanently) the useless billow pad. The fit around your neck will thank you.
  3. Begin heat-treating and curving the shoulder arch plates. We want them to curve and arch up and over the shoulders. If there isn't enough clearance for your neck, or there's a significant gap, the shoulder arch plates can be reset, laterally. Yes, you read that right. The two shoulder arch plates attach to the center breastplate (sternum) via a set of rivets. I would kill those rivets, place the arch plates at the desired angles and positions, redrill the holes (if need be), and then secure with Chicago screws.
  4. Install "'lako" straps from shoulder arch plate across the armpit to the shoulder pauldron, secured (again) with Chicago screws. A 'lako is the boom strut running from a canoe hull to the outrigger. A strap like this on the Platinum would keep the pauldrons from pivoting to the back while putting a shirt on. @grayhawk did this on his All-Star CPU4K. Use 1" elastic strapping for this.
  5. In an ideal world, I'd fabricate a new padding vest, complete with anchor tabs, using a much better foam laminate (instead of upholstery foam) and skinned in technical wicking fabric (instead of nylon). Then, set fire to the old sofa-couch padding vest, preferably grilling brats and corn over it.
  6. Determine and install the best aftermarket harness for your bodyframe. The UmpLife RayFlex harness is the ideal candidate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MadMax said:

Rightly so, everyone who has posted advice so far regarding a new harness and heat-treating the Platinum is valid. That new harness is very likely to be the solution to that pesky, petrified Platinum.

If I was working to conform that Platinum to you, or me, or another wearer, on a custom level, I would:

1. Disassemble the CP completely.
  2. Remove (permanently) the useless billow pad. The fit around your neck will thank you.
  3. Begin heat-treating and curving the shoulder arch plates. We want them to curve and arch up and over the shoulders. If there isn't enough clearance for your neck, or there's a significant gap, the shoulder arch plates can be reset, laterally. Yes, you read that right. The two shoulder arch plates attach to the center breastplate (sternum) via a set of rivets. I would kill those rivets, place the arch plates at the desired angles and positions, redrill the holes (if need be), and then secure with Chicago screws.
  4. Install "'lako" straps from shoulder arch plate across the armpit to the shoulder pauldron, secured (again) with Chicago screws. A 'lako is the boom strut running from a canoe hull to the outrigger. A strap like this on the Platinum would keep the pauldrons from pivoting to the back while putting a shirt on. @grayhawk did this on his All-Star CPU4K. Use 1" elastic strapping for this.
  5. In an ideal world, I'd fabricate a new padding vest, complete with anchor tabs, using a much better foam laminate (instead of upholstery foam) and skinned in technical wicking fabric (instead of nylon). Then, set fire to the old sofa-couch padding vest, preferably grilling brats and corn over it.
  6. Determine and install the best aftermarket harness for your bodyframe. The UmpLife RayFlex harness is the ideal candidate.

Impressive stuff! My initial thought was the Platinum just might not work for your body type.

I admit I usually think “harness first” too but there was just more than it just not feeling snug and/or sagging.

I am not a good handyman. If you are, you’ll enjoy most of @MadMax’s recs. If you are like me, the first half of #3 would be my first choice. The shoulders not fitting correctly could be creating your other issues. Should that be better and then sagging or not snug, the harness would be my next low hanging fruit before you tackled any other potential assignment.

Do stay away from using the foam for grilling. :laugh:

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Impressive stuff! My initial thought was the Platinum just might not work for your body type.

I admit I usually think “harness first” too but there was just more than it just not feeling snug and/or sagging.

I am not a good handyman. If you are, you’ll enjoy most of @MadMax’s recs. If you are like me, the first half of #3 would be my first choice. The shoulders not fitting correctly could be creating your other issues. Should that be better and then sagging or not snug, the harness would be my next low hanging fruit before you tackled any other potential assignment.

Do stay away from using the foam for grilling. :laugh:

Jimmy is right...the Platinum isn’t for everyone.  I personally do not care for its design or fit however the Gold’s design fits more body types....

• Like 1

If you can find a 13" Platinum and do the heat treatment on the shoulders, remove the billow pad (neck), and attach a UL harness on it - then you'll have a great fitting CP that you won't even recognize as the one that came from the box.  They can really fit you well if you spend some time on them.

But to others points, I have found that the Gold fit me much better right out of the box.  Then, with an UL harness on it - it's even better!  The only thing I'd change (and haven't yet) now is to fix those annoying "wings" from moving forward when you throw a ball back to the pitcher.   Of course, I could just stop throwing balls back, but I'd rather fix my CP with the "lako" strap as Max states.  I just haven't motivated myself to get it done yet.  I even have material and Chicago Screws on-hand, so just pure laziness on my part.

Find what works best for your body type. Ideally, try on several CPs before deciding which fits best on you.  Too many of us bought the MLB logo or what a friend had and it wasn't what we needed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

If you can find a 13" Platinum and do the heat treatment on the shoulders, remove the billow pad (neck), and attach a UL harness on it - then you'll have a great fitting CP that you won't even recognize as the one that came from the box.  They can really fit you well if you spend some time on them.

But to others points, I have found that the Gold fit me much better right out of the box.  Then, with an UL harness on it - it's even better!  The only thing I'd change (and haven't yet) now is to fix those annoying "wings" from moving forward when you throw a ball back to the pitcher.   Of course, I could just stop throwing balls back, but I'd rather fix my CP with the "lako" strap as Max states.  I just haven't motivated myself to get it done yet.  I even have material and Chicago Screws on-hand, so just pure laziness on my part.

Find what works best for your body type. Ideally, try on several CPs before deciding which fits best on you.  Too many of us bought the MLB logo or what a friend had and it wasn't what we needed.

Im skinny enough I just cut off those wings.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Very good advice. Well said.