Anniversary Today

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1324 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is the 10 year anniversary of the Joyce/Gallaraga game .... and NO, this is NOT to be negative but to remember a perfect game pitched, and a display of humility and sportsmanship that became the feel-good story in sports for 2010.   AND, lest not forget, probably the catapult of replay review in MLB.

Wow, ...time flies, and look where we are now w/ replay, etc?

Just sharing a tid-bit of history :D 

• Like 5

I'm surprised ........ 2 "likes" and no responses.   No memories, no "I remember watching" ....no thoughts on how the aftermath played out, no nothing?  As umpires, wasn't this an historic event in some way shape or form?  I mean ... it was the proverbial straw that brought on replay/review, and changed everything, yes? :HS 

I watched it live, was in utter shock after it happened, and my phone blew up afterwards from friends. I know he botched it and admitted to kicking the s*** out of it but I contend that the happenings of the play was a lead-in to the botch. 

I think he was set up for a toss by f3 and a touch by F1where it’s a look at which shoe hits first. Turned into a throw from F3 and F1 was trying a little to find his foot on the bag and it became a did you hear the glove before seeing the runners foot type deal plus a did he get the foot there. 

I think there was some anticipation of the usual play, things altered a little, caught flat footed and kicked it.  

Also always thought JJ’s initial footwork and arm movements was going to be an “out” and there was a late abort to “safe”. 

I remember being so pragmatic about it (saw it on that night's highlights, not live), and I also remember at the time remembering the Denkinger call in the '85 World Series...which I did see live.

It must be one of the most difficult calls for an ump to make at first base...watching the base, and listening for the glove...on a ball that is lightly tossed.

Don't blame him one bit, and I think this is exactly what the replay rule is supposed to fix (or a better word, assist)...not the nonsensical SH*# it's being used for 99% of the time.

I understand, it's still an umpire's choice, but with the way Leyland came out, I was wondering if anything he could have said that would have get Joyce to get together with the crew. Not that he had any obligation to. Just wondering why that didn't happen. 
Couldn't do that back in 2010

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 6/6/2020 at 6:53 PM, TheRockawayKid said:

Honest question, which part? Couldn't get together on a safe/out call? I don't remember back then what they were allowed to get together for (I remember umps getting together a few times during the 2004 ALCS) 

not on a 'safe/out' ......

6 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

A guy missed a call in a game in the middle of June. In the grand scheme of things it wasn’t really that big of a deal. 

June 2 ... 'beginning of June' ....

The catapult of replay review, not that big of a deal?  Ok

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

June 2 ... 'beginning of June' ....

The catapult of replay review, not that big of a deal?  Ok

No, what I'm saying is that is probably why this thread didn't get much traction. Because many of us don't see it as that big of a deal.

Just now, JSam21 said:

No, what I'm saying is that is probably why this thread didn't get much traction. Because many of us don't see it as that big of a deal.

Fair enough.  I guess, ....2010 was my first year back umpiring in quite a long time, and it happened 30 minutes from me ....so I guess it sticks with me more as a memory

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Fair enough.  I guess, ....2010 was my first year back umpiring in quite a long time, and it happened 30 minutes from me ....so I guess it sticks with me more as a memory

It popped up on my Facebook memories that day. Mostly due to the fact that I was dating a girl from that area at that time and had the same thoughts about it then. It sucks for the pitcher, but in the grand scheme of things they won a game in June and that is really all that matters. 

25 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

It popped up on my Facebook memories that day. Mostly due to the fact that I was dating a girl from that area at that time and had the same thoughts about it then. It sucks for the pitcher, but in the grand scheme of things they won a game in June and that is really all that matters. 

In the context of baseball, history matters, and historical moments matter.  There are only 23 perfect games in MLB history...this should have been 24.   A 25th, not quite as egregious, lost due to a questionable ball four call.   Everything about baseball is history, and the stories told.   This is why a ball game in June ends up mattering.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember that game like it was yesterday.  I was sitting at the Pittsburgh Pirates' stadium waiting for the game to start after a rain delay (it never started and I had to come back later that month!).  While waiting, they played the replay of Joyce's call on the TV screens.  The entire stadium was in an uproar.

Not what they say in Te double n e double s double e, Tennessee.

I think when some even better technology comes out that re-shows this play, we will see that ball still moving in the glove, towards that coning type position at the top of the pocket, and the runner touching while the ball was still moving. Of course now, once the ball is in the glove, even if not touching the back webbing of the glove and the glove not closed yet before giving the popping sound, and sight of the ball has been lost, it is an out.

Picuture on the right with the ball showing from beginning to end would be where ball is still in motion.

A class act then, and still a class act today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/blown-detroit-tigers-call-still-haunts-jim-joyce-but-he-has-learned-to-forgive-himself/ar-BB14UsO3

On 7/3/2020 at 6:42 AM, dumbdumb said:

I think when some even better technology comes out that re-shows this play, we will see that ball still moving in the glove,

Future technology can't correct what has already been filmed in the past...you can't add frames that aren't there, that were never filmed in the first place, nor can you add pixels or change the resolution of what was captured - you got what you got - the Zapruder film will never be better than what it is....that zoom and enhance stuff TV detectives pick up off city cameras doesn't exist.   Any cleanup that ever gets done is virtual guesswork.