BlueRanger

How to Fix a Davishield?

Hey guys, I bought a used Davishield locally for a friend who needed to upgrade from his softshell. It didn't cost me much, but the original owner butchered this thing by cutting the elastic that held the shoulder assembly together. Now the bicep pad, gap/shoulder protection, and the clavicle plate the elastic attaches to are all cut at the elastic, leaving them in separate pieces. Otherwise, the CP is basically brand-new. My first thought was to remove the hardware that holds the elastic and buy new elastic and then just reattach everything from there. How would you advise I fix this?

(Image attachment doesnt work)

2 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

Hey guys, I bought a used Davishield locally for a friend who needed to upgrade from his softshell. It didn't cost me much, but the original owner butchered this thing by cutting the elastic that held the shoulder assembly together. Now the bicep pad, gap/shoulder protection, and the clavicle plate the elastic attaches to are all cut at the elastic, leaving them in separate pieces. Otherwise, the CP is basically brand-new. My first thought was to remove the hardware that holds the elastic and buy new elastic and then just reattach everything from there. How would you advise I fix this?

(Image attachment doesnt work)

Send it to @MadMax. He'll make it better than new! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

How would you advise I fix this?

You got a few squirts of gasoline and a match? :fuel: Oh come onnnnnn, itsa DaviShield!

Joking aside, a DaviShield is still a ... uhm... ~serviceable~ CP. And, with that previous hack carving it up, he actually did you a favor. It now gives you the opportunity to rebuild it right, so it fits and protects better.

I have a plan in mind.

You'll need:

• 1" flat webbing (strap)
  • 1-1/2" or 2" seatbelt webbing (strap)
  • Chicago screws (at least 1/2" long, no longer than 3/4"), I count 16 of them.
  • A butane torch, nothing elaborate; a lighter will work, but not ideal
  • A cheap scratch awl
  • 3/8", 5/16" drill bits
  • Good utility scissors
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

You got a few squirts of gasoline and a match? :fuel: Oh come onnnnnn, itsa DaviShield!

Joking aside, a DaviShield is still a ... uhm... ~serviceable~ CP. And, with that previous hack carving it up, he actually did you a favor. It now gives you the opportunity to rebuild it right, so it fits and protects better.

I have a plan in mind.

You'll need:

• 1" flat webbing (strap)
  • 1-1/2" or 2" seatbelt webbing (strap)
  • Chicago screws (at least 1/2" long, no longer than 3/4"), I count 16 of them.
  • A butane torch, nothing elaborate; a lighter will work, but not ideal
  • A cheap scratch awl
  • 3/8", 5/16" drill bits
  • Good utility scissors

Hey, I didn't buy it because I'd wear it, I bought it because it's 10x better than the crappy champro catcher's CP he's using now :notworthy:

Assuming I can acquire those items, what would you advise the next steps be?    [I can DM you if you want]

Thanks Max!

6 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

what would you advise the next steps be?

Give me a few days to draw the plan and post it, but the way I see this going, the aim is to not involve elastic at all, but to run the 1" flat webbing from the shoulder arch plate to the ailette (gap protector) separate from the 2" flat webbing that will run to the bicep guard, which we will invert and reposition so it now becomes the shoulder pauldron (cap).

On the shoulder arch plate, we'll be killing the two rivets that were being used to connect the elastic tendons before the guy cut 'em. This is best accomplished by turning the plate over and drilling out the rivet's shaft until it pops back out. Do the same to the ailettes. Once you've got those rivets out and the parts ready, I'll have the drawing ready for ya. We can post it here... maybe it will inspire someone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1