Richvee

Broadcaster rules challenge

If you have any free time, (I know many of us do), this little series is worth the watch.

I was honestly expecting to click and find out MLB had added a broadcaster’s challenge system to the game ... :P

36 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I was honestly expecting to click and find out MLB had added a broadcaster’s challenge system to the game ... :P

Shhhh.   Don’t give Manfred any ideas. He’s got enough insane stuff on he table. 

In the one with Ted Barrett, he said that this year, the foul/foul tip rule is changed, so that if the ball comes off the bat and contacts any part of the catcher, and he catches/traps it against his body, that it is a live ball foul tip. 

He says it's starting when they start up play again. Has anyone heard anything on this? I cannot find anything anywhere.

5 hours ago, udbrky said:

In the one with Ted Barrett, he said that this year, the foul/foul tip rule is changed, so that if the ball comes off the bat and contacts any part of the catcher, and he catches/traps it against his body, that it is a live ball foul tip. 

He says it's starting when they start up play again. Has anyone heard anything on this? I cannot find anything anywhere.

Doesn't the player's org have to vote/approve actual rule changes? 

2019 OBR

"A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand."

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Doesn't the player's org have to vote/approve actual rule changes? 

2019 OBR

"A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand."

Not sure on that type of rule.

He said that according to 2019 rules, it's a foul ball once it hits the chest.

1 hour ago, udbrky said:

Not sure on that type of rule.

He said that according to 2019 rules, it's a foul ball once it hits the chest.

Probably solves the issue of whether the ball nicked the glove or hand prior to hitting the chest protector. Sharp and direct and gathered by the catcher before it hits the ground?