D1 moving start date to mid march?

Apparently there is a proposal to move the start date of D1 baseball to Mid March and run through June, with post season starting in July and ending in late July.  Supposedly this would save lots of money for Northern teams on travel(be able to play at home instead of heading South) and the hope is it would bring more fans with better weather and not competing with basketball for half the season.  This would start in 2022 and is just a proposal that would still need approval. 

https://d1baseball.com/columns/premier-power-five-coaches-unveil-new-college-baseball-model/

There are several factors in play here. Consider also that the Big Leagues are on the precipice of contracting the Minor Leagues (from 5-6 teams per franchise parent club to, perhaps 2 or 3) and condensing the draft from umpteen rounds to 5. The latter measure is in response to the pandemic crisis, but once implemented, I don’t think it will be rescinded.

The need for “organic” evaluation and development has been waning for awhile, at least since the advent of digital video and YouTube. The potential recruits of today have been tracked and had video amassed on them since they were playing on a 46-60 field! And, once most reach high school varsity, they are at a stage which most of the “unknown” qualities (or “intangibles”) have been identified and packaged into a composite that a club will either act on, or pass on.

Colleges are now poised to take the role that many lower level minor leagues have performed in in the past. Independent pro leagues are also going to be in a position to replace or supplement the downsized minor leagues. Now, if D-1 goes to a later season schedule, then that means less players available to some of the independent pro leagues.

• Like 1

I'm not a D1 guy but it seems there would be plenty of pitfalls to this plan, some of which were hinted at in the article.  I do have to wonder if attendance would really increase enough to help many schools' bottom lines.  With a large chunk of the games being played after school is out, I think schools would have to start marketing the games like minor-league teams, which would require additional staff.  Lots of other additional costs to house and feed players (can't imagine you'd expect players to pay their own way over the summer, remember even most D1 players are getting only partial scholarships, if anything).  The article also mentioned potential lost income for the programs and assistant coaches from not having as much time to run camps and clinics in the summer.  Schools might even have to employ more SID's and training staff (or stretch them thin, running baseball right up to the start of football camp).  How about kids that are draft eligible?  Not to mention that this would practically kill the better summer leagues, although I know that is not the concern of D1 coaches.    

The plan definitely has some advantages, the better weather in the north probably being at the top, which would save travel money.  

7 hours ago, zoops said:

I'm not a D1 guy but it seems there would be plenty of pitfalls to this plan, some of which were hinted at in the article.  I do have to wonder if attendance would really increase enough to help many schools' bottom lines.  With a large chunk of the games being played after school is out, I think schools would have to start marketing the games like minor-league teams, which would require additional staff.  Lots of other additional costs to house and feed players (can't imagine you'd expect players to pay their own way over the summer, remember even most D1 players are getting only partial scholarships, if anything).  The article also mentioned potential lost income for the programs and assistant coaches from not having as much time to run camps and clinics in the summer.  Schools might even have to employ more SID's and training staff (or stretch them thin, running baseball right up to the start of football camp).  How about kids that are draft eligible?  Not to mention that this would practically kill the better summer leagues, although I know that is not the concern of D1 coaches.    

The plan definitely has some advantages, the better weather in the north probably being at the top, which would save travel money.  

The draft issue was addressed (implicitly, at best) in the article. If the projected format moves forward, there won't be a lot of talent being drafted in the spring and little room in the minors.

I don't see an increase in marketing expense being needed, either, as attendance revenue is already a pittance for most places, and the training/SID issue is pretty nonexistent (if anything, it reduces variable demand and lightens the load.)

The major questions are the ones you mentioned that are directly related to the team.