Getting back to officiating

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1382 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Returning to Umpiring  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you personally feel comfortable returning to umpiring at the current time? (Mid May 2020)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you feel more comfortable returning if mechanics were modified for social distancing?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you feel more comfortable with players, managers and umpires wearing masks?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. What would help you most in making a decision in returning to umpiring?

• CDC/ Other federal government body stating that participation in sports is permissible
    • State & Local government officials stating participating in sports is permissible
    • Sports Associations, MLB, NCAA, NFHS, etc. stating returning to sports is permissible
    • Vaccines being widely available
    • Make an independent decision based local situation and personal comfort
    • I would return now without further consideration
  5. 5. Would COVID-19 infection rates influence your decision to travel to a location for games?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Do you feel mechanics should be modified with consideration for social distancing?

• No, the game should not be played if mechanics need to be modified
    • Yes, the plate umpire mechanics need to be modified for social distancing
    • Yes, both plate and base mechanics need to be modified
  7. 7. Should umpires play a role in ensuring common equipment (bats, balls ...) is disinfected regularly during the game?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Do you feel there would be extra liability on umpires for calling games during the pandemic?

• Yes
    • No

Like many of you I got a survey the other day from NASO about returning to officiating and I had some thoughts I wanted to share some thoughts. I wish I could remember each of the questions. So I wanted to try an Umpire-Empire survey too that had more 2 way communication.

• Like 2

#5 - needs a maybe.  I'm not dumb and going to purposely go somewhere with extremely high infection rates, but its less of a factor in "normal" areas.  I answered "yes" simply because if the scenario was bad enough, then I wouldn't accept the game in that locale.

The additional question I would ask would be something about the umpire expected to enforce coved protocols. I, for one, would not work any game where I am the social distancing police.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Question #8 is a loaded question, and one that many of us get hung up on. And not just this pandemic, but on alot of the details surrounding this game.

8. Do you feel there would should be extra liability on umpires for calling games during the pandemic?

I think we all could agree that there shouldn't be any additional pressure or liability put on us, as umpires. I think you see that reflected in the answers of "No", and in Question #7.

Thank you @Umpire in Chief!  I am very interested in seeing NASO’s “findings” because I think their questions and answers left a lot to desired in painting an accurate picture.  It’s also good to see others making similar comments.

For example, #4 lacks an adequate answer for me to respond.  What will make me feel better?  Seeing a change in the behavior of people and actual enforcement of the rules being handed down.

And ABSOLUTELY NO to umpires having any added responsibility or duties.  I already disagree with equipment checks (non-NFHS softball and middle school NFHS in Illinois).  No way am I accepting any further liability in saying it is safe to play — that is a decision for public health and medical professionals, not me.

It would be interesting to see the results broken down by states, so you could compare the “hot spots” to the findings.

• Thanks 1

Maybe I'm not interpreting it right, but for #6, if the plate umpire's mechanics  change, wouldn't that, by extension, cause the base umpire's mechanics to change?  Are there really a number of scenarios where the PU would have to make some adjustments and BU would have to make ZERO adjustments to compensate?

If you move PU 6-10 feet behind the plate, or  behind the mound, I can't see how BU wouldn't have to change a few things.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.

My thought on much of this is easy. If my kids are not allowed to be in school, then there is no way they should be in a dugout which will have even less oversight. Seems pretty easy to me.

LL requires an adult in the dugout to keep an eye on the kids, and most the time that adult is not even aware of anything happening  3 feet from them. I can image most youth levels and trying to keep the kids separate, not sharing equipment, etc. HS level, the kids are expected to have a clue, but you know they will be kids and not abide by said rules. I try to stay out of the dugout as much as possible... forcing me to police the social aspects just forces me in, where I do not want to be.

Each region is different. I live in sue me California... I'm already seeing ads from attorneys seeking clients to sue their employer for Covid related issues. It is not a far stretch to see some kid get sick, have the infection even remotely associated with a game said kid played in and their Mom and Dad suing everyone involved, including the official. And before you tell me that cannot happen, how many times have you heard about the burglar who got hurt robbing someones house suing for their injury, and winning? Me getting infected is not what my worry is... getting sued, having some jury say I am culpable and losing my house... that is what scares me!

I want on the filed, just like everyone else, but want to make sure it is done safely and with the proper protocols put into place. 

Hope you are all staying safe with all of the country tearing itself apart. Praying for a better tomorrow...

I’m back at it here in Wisconsin.  We have protocols, but besides each team keeping their own balls on defense, and some spacing players out more, there is no social distancing.  I am wearing a mask every game but am the only one on the field most of the time wearing one (no league I work has made them mandatory).

Although it is nice with the protocols that they moved all the other “umpires” further back or down the line :P

• Like 2

60% of respondents said they are OK with going back NOW.  67% said infraction rates would play a factor in consideration of traveling to umpire though ... Does that mean the majority believe they are safe in their area, but possibly not in other areas?  I’m just trying to reconcile those two answers in my mind.  (I understand that 

Thus some of the flaws in how these questions were asked ... questions 2 through 6 are specifically geared at somebody who said no to question 1.  They do not lend to any explanation, they are written to toe the line to find where the point of comfort/discomfort changes.

57 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I scored 100% on the survey. What do I win?

A mostly all expenses paid three week visit to the ER, ICU, and infectious disease ward with a bonus prize of eight days on your own deluxe model ventilator?

I'm back for first time tonight 6/15 since early March.  Have a DH at our local AA stadium with college kids from all of the local colleges. They will be checking everyones temperature, including all players, umps and fans.  I'll be in the field both games so I have no concerns about distancing.

My biggest concern (other than a sky-high pop fly to the warning track, called by the shortstop) is getting  my pants on. I've put on about 10 lbs sitting around.

• Haha 2