How to add gap protection

Umpire43
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1227 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hmmm .... I'd ask @MadMax ...... but my thought would be to either:

1) buy gap pieces from Jeff Cook @ Douglas and do it yourself w/ Chicago screws and whatever connective fabric you'd want to use.   OR

2) Ask Jeff Cook @ Douglas if they'd do it for you?

My .02 ...  I'm sure Max will jump in here soon! :nod: 

ON EDIT: PHOTO ADD ....  Like this:

image.png

15 minutes ago, Umpire43 said:

@Thunderheads jeff was my first thought so i went digging through old posts for his info. I asked if I could send it, but just buying parts would work too if they will do that.

They may or may not do it because it's not their product, but HEY, ...NEVER hurts to ask!

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

They may or may not do it because it's not their product, but HEY, ...NEVER hurts to ask!

He just replied, they don’t work on non douglas products. He also said i could not purchase parts from them.

What about using bicep protectors?  They're already curved and are about the right size.  Just remove the padding and use the plastic and secure using Chicago screws or another method.

CP-BP_1_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Umpire43 said:

He just replied, they don’t work on non douglas products. He also said i could not purchase parts from them.

Sounds to me like a lost cause and waaaaaaay too difficult to do.

You should just buy another chest protector and sell the Power to me.:D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Find a pair of Wilson shin guards and cut off the metatarsal guards and use those.

@grayhawk beat me to it... this is the route I would go. Instead of cutting them, kill the rivets holding them onto the shin guard, leaving the vinyl strip intact. Use those exact two holes in the vinyl to map out and drill out holes on the shoulder arch plates, then secure with Chicago screws.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

It isnt like they are useful anyways.

They aren't. They're utterly useless. We can question the necessity of an additional segment above the knee; we can quibble about the necessity of the ankle wings being hardcast (like these are) versus shaped (like Force3 Ultimates), but I have yet to find any umpire – an actual, fully-&-properly equipped umpire (who should have actual plate shoes) – who needs these crudely-designed and implemented tarsal guards.

Annoyingly, these are marketed as "Official MLB Gear", complete with the MLB logo! We know not a single MLB umpire uses these with the metatarsal guards attached!!

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

They aren't. They're utterly useless. We can question the necessity of an additional segment above the knee; we can quibble about the necessity of the ankle wings being hardcast (like these are) versus shaped (like Force3 Ultimates), but I have yet to find any umpire – an actual, fully-&-properly equipped umpire (who should have actual plate shoes) – who needs these crudely-designed and implemented tarsal guards.

Annoyingly, these are marketed as "Official MLB Gear", complete with the MLB logo! We know not a single MLB umpire uses these with the metatarsal guards attached!!

Remembering when these came out, what...22, 23 years ago (which is dangling a juicy lure for you, knowing how much you love how Wilson doesn't change over time) and I want to say that at least for a short while, there were MLB umpires using the guard.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MadMax said:

MLB umpire, wearing shins with metatarsal guard attached.  Necessary? Maybe not, but they are in his mind.  

B9484D49-F448-40B8-B3DC-020DA22C075C.jpeg

On 5/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, MadMax said:

MLB 22 still uses them

Hope you are back on the diamond

2 hours ago, Razzer said:

MLB 22 still uses them

Hope you are back on the diamond

Yeah, he would. :rolleyes:

I just did my first games of this "new epoch". Adult (akin to MSBL), with 2 hr 30 min time limit (trimmed down by 15 minutes to accommodate sanitizing the dugouts between games). Pitchers chastised to not bring the hands to the mouth. Spitting dissuaded, but if ya didn't see it, there's nothing to enforce. Gobs of hand sanitizers in both dugouts. The umpire (that'd be me) worked solo, with a mask, and was directed to call Bs & Ks from behind... the mound. Ugh. This positioning is supposed to be for this past weekend only; there's talk we go "back to normal" positioning next weekend.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jdc03270 said:

A little late but here you go.

Douglas gap protection plates, a piece of velcro, a hockey helmet screw with backing, and a piece of gorilla tape. No holes works great.

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

image2.JPG.5a0d63a0ed8a5d6f4d6af872a09a89bc.jpg

Nice job.    For me, I would have brought that 'gap plate' down just a touch to be more in front .... that's how I have my Douglas gap on mine (but THAT'S ME...it doesn't make yours wrong) ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...