JimKirk

Official 2-Minute Review: Champion P2 Umpire Chest Protector

19 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Official 2-Minute Review: Champion P2 Umpire Chest Protector

View the full article

When did Champion go back to the velcro attachments?  Thought they couldn't do that?

9 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

When did Champion go back to the velcro attachments?  Thought they couldn't do that?

think the patent expired. Or, because Champion wasn't named in the/a suit (or, more appropriately, the Cease & Desist Letter), they just shrugged and carried on. You gotta admit, though, that Champion's market presence is significantly less than the big players at that time had – Riddell, All-American, and Douglas. If they had impinged on the patent, their much more lucrative football equipment shares would have been in jeopardy.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, MadMax said:

think the patent expired. Or, because Champion wasn't named in the/a suit (or, more appropriately, the Cease & Desist Letter), they just shrugged and carried on. You gotta admit, though, that Champion's market presence is significantly less than the big players at that time had – Riddell, All-American, and Douglas. If they had impinged on the patent, their much more lucrative football equipment shares would have been in jeopardy.

What @MadMax said in 1st sentence...mostly sure about that. It wasn’t any ignoring from Champion’s end as I understand.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, MadMax said:

Thanks Max ....I agree w/ @JimKirk because Champion changed the CP to only have bolts/screws on the plates instead of the velcro straps ....I remember that.  AND ... that rig is really pretty nice especially considering it's price point and the fact that it mimics a Riddell very much.  Put a flex harness on that bad-boy and you're set!  Their gap protection just needs some "flattening" ...  :D

• Like 1

The ability to remove and wash the padding is a BIG part of why this rig continues to be the best for the money. And like Jeff states, swap out the harness, and you've got protection that's about as good as it gets. 

• Like 1

I like it so much I have two - both with @Razzer harnesses. They never move and offer more than enough protection.

• Like 2