bvrcump

Covid 19 causing plate umpire to be behind mound - Mechanics?

20 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

As great as that sounds, I'm having a hard time seeing that happen in real life.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, and as a hard ass coach I mean this from the bottom of my heart.   ANYONE who complains about any umpire for any call during these conditions should be fined, suspended and shot.

5 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, and as a hard ass coach I mean this from the bottom of my heart.   ANYONE who complains about any umpire for any call during these conditions should be fined, suspended and shot.

Can we shorten the number of steps involved?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My facemask has arrived!

gaiter_front_mask.jpg.8ef8f92fdba1dc524c5cef9592751f45.jpg  gaiter_front_nomask.jpg.696668dd96a596dc06648ff7b4ad3223.jpg  gaiter_side_mask.jpg.97717aafdaeff6ddc291e0e56f0705ec.jpg

It's a very lightweight material, billed as SPF40+ for UV protection, and has ear slots in it. I've been taking my mask-cage off and on repeatedly for the past 15 minutes, and there's been no foul-ups or significant shifting of it. Nothing that would cause me to touch my face.

So yeah, I'll be wearing this for this weekend's games. Yes, we just received offers (not assignments, offers. Voluntary) for games this weekend. Men's amateur league stuff. Some of my fellow citizens are absolutely stir-crazy. I will be conducting the game from the exact, "normal" position that a PU or BU would take. We (my umpire partner and I) will be running positions, rotations, mechanics, and responsibilities _with no change from what we typically do_.

Except, yeah, I'll be wearing this here facemask. And washing my hands prior to the game, washing my hands after, and will be taking a shower after the last game. I mean, washing the hands... just to get off the ~incredible, innumerable~ amount of viruses I'm going to have on my hands after touching the ball(s). The ball(s) which ~someone~ here still has to prove to me harbors viruses that will cause me to contract the virus and die.

Enough of this. Back to baseball.

• Like 3

I don't think I would be able to wear that.  Call it a glandular condition if you like, but in the summer............... I sweat worse than **(insert choice here).

**here are a couple of suggestions for you to use.........."a crooked politician on election day"......."a W#ore in church".......etc. 

• Like 1

I like the look and style @MadMax.  Where did you order it from?

Nobody going for the powder blue look?  :P

image.png.f83897303cca5dc53c0c81c41fc913fb.png

43 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Where did you order it from?

NLNNRNPOLPNPNKNSLRNNUVPQOPTVUSQRNVNM390O

eBay. Here's a vendor: Neck Gaiter on eBay

Here's the one I bought from: Another Neck Gaiter on eBay

I really wanted to get one of the camo ones, but they didn't have the pre-sewn ear slots.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, MadMax said:

Can't we (as umpires) just all wear nose & mouth covering, refrain from touching anyone (so no brace-hands, or shaking hands post game, folks!), and call a game as usual?

I remind you that wearing a mask doesn't protect you, it protects those around you. You are depending on everyone else wearing a mask to stay safe.

1 hour ago, pnewton said:

You are depending on everyone else wearing a mask to stay safe.

As an umpire, how? Think, and keep this solely to our role as an umpire (and then we'll project this to other sports, and officiating of them), where and how am I going to have anyone coughing, spitting, sneezing, or breathing forcibly (ie. talking in close proximity) on me? Then, if that occurs, when, where or how am I going to put my fingers in my mouth or up my nose?

Let's analyze a typical game, and I will preface, I shall wear a breath mask, and let's also include that I will wash my hands prior to the game and promptly after (in fact, I'll actually take a shower, but for the sake of argument, we can stick to thorough, proper hand washing):

• Plate Meeting – Streamline it. We don't need all the handshakes, we don't need all the superfluous talking about sportsmanship, or how to approach an official (lookin' right at you New Jersey). We just need the lineup cards and go over any odd ground rules. That can be done at this magical 6 foot distance, easily. Again, no handshakes necessary.
  • First pitch (for each team) – Do away with introducing yourself to the catcher, and shaking his hand. No pats on the back, no reminding him of his "job" (to protect me!).
  • Pitches in general – Take up your normal plate stance. Don't use a brace hand (you shouldn't anyway). Don't pat either catcher on the back for a "good block", or to chastise him for not "keeping you safe". Worth mentioning, science has been reporting that typical physical contact doesn't necessarily mean transmission will happen, so there's no reason to get into a panic about either catcher brushing up against you while blocking a pitch in the dirt.
  • Rotations – Carry on as normal.
  • Situations – We adopt the saying of things at a distance. We don't need to go talk to coaches, and they shouldn't need to talk with us.
  • Discussions – Stay away from your partner as much as possible. There's no reason you need to get together with him on calls, or even between innings. In fact, this is what we should be doing anyway.
  • Hydration – Bring your own. Keep it by the fence and use it as needed. Don't rely on (or expect) either team to bring it to you.
  • Post-game – Get off the field. Don't get in the handshake line (there shouldn't be one anyway), and don't wait around glad-handing with the players, coaches, or your partner. Go back to your car, de-gear, pack up (sanitize your hands at this point, sure), and get home to a shower ASAP.

Find it. Find the spot in there where I'm "going to contract the virus". This might be good time for some additional reading: Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says.

Now, let's take this to other sports, as an official. Soccer? Football? Hockey? Basketball? Tennis? Volleyball? I'm having trouble identifying anything... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MadMax said:

As an umpire, how? Think, and keep this solely to our role as an umpire (and then we'll project this to other sports, and officiating of them), where and how am I going to have anyone coughing, spitting, sneezing, or breathing forcibly (ie. talking in close proximity) on me? Then, if that occurs, when, where or how am I going to put my fingers in my mouth or up my nose?

Well, you do you on the whole fingers-up-the-nose deal.

But one area where I could see that you, or anyone else, could get the virus, would be calling pitches.  No, it's becoming apparent that the virus doesn't transmit as much via touching people or surfaces.  But you are well within 6' of every participant in the game, via the batter's box (and the two catchers, of course).  LOT of breathin' goin' on there, man.  And are you trying to tell me you haven't ever had a batter spit while in the box?  C'mon, man.

(Given all that breathing/spitting going on, and not all of it is dainty through-the-nose breathing, there are a lot of droplets in that plate circle, I'd bet.  And there's been plenty of evidence provided, talking about how long/far those droplets last.)

WILL you get the 'Rona from this?  Dunno - not a scientist.  But I really don't believe you can truthfully say there's a zero chance of transmission playing the game as we do.  You may feel the risk is worth it, and that's your call.  We just have different thresholds for "acceptable risk."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Then, if that occurs, when, where or how am I going to put my fingers in my mouth or up my nose?

I never realized how much I touched my face prior to this.

The first time I went out after the lock-down began I did as instructed with a mask and did my best to stay six feet away from people. I took care of my business, got back into my mobile locker room and removed my face covering. On the 15 minute drive home, I realized that several times I was unconsciously reaching to my face to scratch an itch, rub my eye, cover a sneeze, or whatever.

Since then, I keep my mask on until I get home and have the opportunity to wash my hands just so I don't breach the sterile field of my personal intake valves. My wife says the Clorox wipes she makes me keep in the car are effective in killing anything I have on my hands, but I guess I am being overly cautious given the numbers in this neck of the woods.

I have always found it fascinating how obtuse we all are to our own idiosyncrasies, especially when some one else mentions them. 

1 minute ago, HokieUmp said:

We just have different thresholds for "acceptable risk."

And I acknowledge and appreciate that.

I also appreciate that you stated something that has been profoundly escaping some others here... 

3 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Dunno - [I'm] not a scientist.

And neither am I. That being said, a great deal of what is being stated is either anecdotal, completely devoid of data-driven specifics, or is a glut of data projections devoid of context. Even science has been changing the message as what they/we know about this virus develops over time. But in our haste to "be on top of things", and "command the ________ (message, situation, etc.)", we start spewing out superlatives and absolutes... "Most contagious contagion in history!", "40 million will contract it tomorrow!", "This virus is everywhere!!... Everyone's going to die!!!" 

7 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

I never realized how much I touched my face prior to this. [snip...]

I have always found it fascinating how obtuse we all are to our own idiosyncrasies, especially when some one else mentions them.

I know! I touch my face constantly. I'm well aware of it. Yes, I will be wearing a mask of my own (as you saw in the photos), and I have made a conscious effort to refrain from touching my face when out and about.

You know what cultural idiosyncrasies have to go away? Handshakes and hugs. Especially token, "decorum" handshakes, and the token hugs I've come to call "Hills & Housewives hugs". Inspired from those insipid TV shows The Hills and any of those Real Housewives, where everybody on the show get together for inane, stupid reasons, and start every interaction with the same two things – a hug, and saying, "I'm soo exciiiiiited to... ". I get it. We need contact, we crave contact. Connectedness. But we really have to stop with emphasizing, and measuring our worth on quantity of contacts and connections, and focus – once again – on quality of connection.

Handshakes began in society to demonstrate that there were no weapons held or borne between the two parties. Well, in this day and age, we shouldn't be bearing weapons at each other, and then in light of this pandemic, our hands are bearing an invisible weapon.

21 hours ago, MadMax said:

And neither am I. That being said, a great deal of what is being stated is either anecdotal, completely devoid of data-driven specifics, or is a glut of data projections devoid of context. Even science has been changing the message as what they/we know about this virus develops over time. But in our haste to "be on top of things", and "command the ________ (message, situation, etc.)", we start spewing out superlatives and absolutes... "Most contagious contagion in history!", "40 million will contract it tomorrow!", "This virus is everywhere!!... Everyone's going to die!!!"

And *I'm* trying to defend against the other direction:  the combination of John Birchers, or some damn thing, screeching about rights and somesuch, AND people - who are no more scientists than me - yet who go "welp, them Poindexters missed their projections by a percentage point or two!  So they're CLEARLY and UTTERLY wrong about it *all*!  See you at the Lake Of The Ozarks Mask-Burning Party, y'all!!"

Facts still have meaning, even if the what-to-do changes over time.  And some of those facts include:  yeah, it IS everywhere;  and, some ARE gonna die and/or be seriously, permanently, affected.