umpstu

Korean Umpire Equipment

Was watching the game last night and was wondering if anybody knows who the manufacturer is for the mask the plate umpire was wearing last night?  And the throat guard as well?

And wasn't it great to watch live baseball again?

13 minutes ago, Umpire43 said:

@umpstu do you have photos? 

Not a shot of  him wearing it.

If it was the same game that was shown this afternoon, the mask, to me looked like the diamond silver with blacked out pads. He did have a black “surgical” mask on underneath so that may have contributed to it looking different. 

game highlights 

1 hour ago, eagle_12 said:

If it was the same game that was shown this afternoon, the mask, to me looked like the diamond silver with blacked out pads. He did have a black “surgical” mask on underneath so that may have contributed to it looking different. 

game highlights 

Not able to find a Diamond that looks like this mask.

50 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Probably a Belgard 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, umpstu said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c8a9d9e07b7cf6a4ba7d9ee60a84c5c9.jpeg
3:33 and shortly after show the top part of the mask 

10:06 has the best front on shot, not zoomed but most unobstructed. 

I see the widened upper extended U bar and the 2 wavy bottom bars on those shots. I know the Mizuno and Belgrard mask do have similar features too so it definitely could be one of them with their prevalence in baseball in that region. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@umpstu my guess would be belgard or mizuno or ssk. They are the masks alot of the japanese guys and few from korea who I have met in the game wear. Samurai gears has all of them on his site.

• Like 1

An interesting question regarding the above photo. Since I havent gotten a chance to sit down and watch one of these. Is anyone else wearing a mask? Or just this umpire?

53 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

An interesting question regarding the above photo. Since I havent gotten a chance to sit down and watch one of these. Is anyone else wearing a mask? Or just this umpire?

From what I've seen, the umpires are wearing masks and gloves, everyone else is exactly as they would be without the pandemic. Saw a 3rd base coach (without gloves) fist bump a player on a homerun (with batting gloves). No social distancing in the dugouts or anything either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

From what I've seen, the umpires are wearing masks and gloves, everyone else is exactly as they would be without the pandemic. Saw a 3rd base coach (without gloves) fist bump a player on a homerun (with batting gloves). No social distancing in the dugouts or anything either.

I've seen all coaches wearing masks.  From what I've gathered players not in the games are supposed to be wearing masks.  And they're not supposed to be fist bumping or high fiving.  Supposed to be doing that elbow/arm thing.  But, it's baseball and old habits are hard to change.  It sure is cool watching live baseball.  Oh, the cheerleaders were practicing distancing and wore masks.

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Thanks to a Facebook post, someone grabbed a close up screen shot.

FB_IMG_1588797452679.jpg

I’m pretty sure that’s a Mizuno Belgard. I took too quick of a look at it, but the semi-rounded ear guards and pads are definitely Belgard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I've seen all coaches wearing masks.  From what I've gathered players not in the games are supposed to be wearing masks.  And they're not supposed to be fist bumping or high fiving.  Supposed to be doing that elbow/arm thing.  But, it's baseball and old habits are hard to change.  It sure is cool watching live baseball.  Oh, the cheerleaders were practicing distancing and wore masks.

I haven't seen much (maybe 10 minutes of clips), so I probably just didn't notice the coaches wearing the. I know I saw the fist bump though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biscuit said:

I haven't seen much (maybe 10 minutes of clips), so I probably just didn't notice the coaches wearing the. I know I saw the fist bump though.

Seen those bumps in the dugout as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I’m pretty sure that’s a Mizuno

Different mask than the one I'm talking about.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tpatience said:

I think that’s a SSK 

It's a Belgard

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, BT_Blue said:

Is anyone else wearing a mask? Or just this umpire?

It looks like each PU has a breath mask, as do most of the BUs. I just ordered in my breath mask:
s-l1600.jpg

Another one that appealed was this:
PSM5414GY_311_1024x1024.jpg?v=1587613034

Lightweight, and has a UV SPF rating of 40+, so it gives me the added benefit of keeping my neck and cheeks from getting sunburned. I think a gaiter-style one will be easier to manage with an umpire mask than just a mouth covering. Won't get displaced by taking the umpire mask on and off.

The balls won't have the viruses on 'em (go ahead somebody; prove it!), and I won't be touchin' anybody, or my face until I wash my hands at the conclusion of the game, so no reason for gloves.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MadMax said:

It looks like each PU has a breath mask, as do most of the BUs. I just ordered in my breath mask:
s-l1600.jpg

Another one that appealed was this:
PSM5414GY_311_1024x1024.jpg?v=1587613034

Lightweight, and has a UV SPF rating of 40+, so it gives me the added benefit of keeping my neck and cheeks from getting sunburned. I think a gaiter-style one will be easier to manage with an umpire mask than just a mouth covering. Won't get displaced by taking the umpire mask on and off.

The balls won't have the viruses on 'em (go ahead somebody; prove it!), and I won't be touchin' anybody, or my face until I wash my hands at the conclusion of the game, so no reason for gloves.

Where did you get these? Thanks 

I've only caught a little bit, but I thought this was interesting:

Since they cannot high-five, a player who hit a home-run grabbed a stuffed animal and "booped" his teammates on the head with it.

More cheerleaders though, please.  :P