Ads, Redux

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1414 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the last several weeks, when I write a response, I get a large, off-centered ad across the bottom of the page that almost completely obscures the "submit" button. Here, now, for this new thread, I do not see an ad. Any idea what might cause the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not acting on this earlier, but I just found the settings that made the number of ads explode. 

I'm going to look at these settings later tonight from home and see if I can make it more manageable and along the lines of my original intention (how it was before whatever update changed the settings because I haven't changed the ad settings in years.)

Don't push that button!!!!!   :cheers:

For the record, I don't mind the ads (literally, I pay them no mind ... unless they get weird and then they catch my eye) and I know you need them to keep the site running.

It is just that shady pop-up that jumps over the "reply" button that bugs me.

Thank you for all your work @Umpire in Chief

• Like 1

Yes, I was talking about the ones that obscure the proper functioning of the site. Whatever happened after my initial post, those ads retreated down to the bottom of the page, so, for me at least, life is again good. Well, unless you can also do something about my quarantine. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

If you are an "Established member" I believe you should see fewer ads. Please let me know if you notice an improvement.

Yes, I did--almost immediately after my post. Now I typically see one large ad towards the bottom of the page, but it does not obscure the various posting buttons. It was this latter problem that made me ask, as I had to carefully tuck my cursor "underneath" the ad to post. Thank you, Warren.

21 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I'm going to look at these settings later tonight from home

There are places other than home? What are these magical places?

• Like 1

I'm still physically going to work daily. There are only about 12 of us that are and we're pretty spread apart. I just know I'll be more productive at work vs at home with the wife and kids. 

Besides my work is busier than ever right now. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, LRZ said:

Yes, I was talking about the ones that obscure the proper functioning of the site. Whatever happened after my initial post, those ads retreated down to the bottom of the page, so, for me at least, life is again good. Well, unless you can also do something about my quarantine. ;)

You need to be drinking more quaran-tinis, my friend ... 

image.jpeg.03fae0127ed2e226ddc0407a0c861cf9.jpeg

6 hours ago, yawetag said:

There are places other than home? What are these magical places?

I've been on a several trips the last couple of weeks.  I've been frequently visiting the United Republic of the Yards (Backlahoma, Frontiana, and both the North and South Sidolinas).  I've been working quite frequently on a reclamation project down in New Garage.  Occasionally my wife and I will slip out to Porchland for a drink.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I've been on a several trips the last couple of weeks.  I've been frequently visiting the United Republic of the Yards (Backlahoma, Frontiana, and both the North and South Sidolinas).  I've been working quite frequently on a reclamation project down in New Garage.  Occasionally my wife and I will slip out to Porchland for a drink.   

Lucky you. I've gone from Desklandia (where I spend 8+ hours talking to people who apparently aren't in my house - strange) to Couchtopia to Bedopolis.

• Haha 1

I've been working at home for the last 15 years. My wife has been retired the last 2. The only difference is that I'm not running out of the house every afternoon to umpire. My wife made fun of me as never leaving the house.

I'm with Andrew..desk...couch...bed. Once a week or so I run out to the grocery store.

I don't know what I don't know. I'm guessing the people that are coming up with the rules know more than me. I just wish there was some consistency to the logic. I'm not going to be part of any civil disobedience...yet.

2 hours ago, LMSANS said:

I don't know what I don't know. I'm guessing the people that are coming up with the rules know more than me. I just wish there was some consistency to the logic. I'm not going to be part of any civil disobedience...yet.

That's a pretty harsh stance.  No need for civil disobedience on a simple infield fly rule ... Ooops, wrong thread.  :P

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, yawetag said:

Lucky you. I've gone from Desklandia (where I spend 8+ hours talking to people who apparently aren't in my house - strange) to Couchtopia to Bedopolis.

After a couple of weeks in the house, I felt like I was turning into a potato with no umpiring to do, so I started "couch to 5k" - finishing week 6 this afternoon. The way things looked like they were going to work, I'd be done right about the time for a camp I wanted to attend ... which has since been cancelled.

I still hate running just for the sake of running. But it's better than the "rapid weight gain plan" I was on before I started.

• Like 1