Umpire43

Interesting power color.

Medium blue, black and orange look GREAT together ..........however, that doesn't look like the Power padding?

Just now, Matt said:

I like it in principle, but I don't like that color for umpires.

true, but you only see about 2 or 3% of a CP ...unless of course you're wearing it 'al fresco' under a plate coat ;) 

7 hours ago, Chris Hickman said:

That looks like champion plastic with Riddell stickers… Not a real Riddell.....

because of the pauldrons?  WOW......nice catch Mr. Hickman!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris Hickman said:

That looks like champion plastic with Riddell stickers… Not a real Riddell.....

It may have some mods done to it - or at least it does not look like other Power's we've seen, but I do think it is a true Power. 

1. The padding color matches with what Riddell used (orange, blue and grey ).
  2. The bottom plate has rings for clips(Riddell tell-tale sign) instead of hooks (like a Champion).
  3. The bottom plate is way too thin for a Champion or anything else, except a Power.

With that said, there are a few things I do think have been several mods done to it:

1. The "wings" at the bottom appear smaller than Riddell's normal size (but I've only seen L and XL, so maybe this is normal M size).
  2. Shoulder epaulets are not native to a Power. They came without them, so this is a mod added on to existing Power - very well could be Champion epaulets - or a Wilson original black CP epaulet's.  These clearly have a sticker over them and you can see the rivets bulging under the sticker. 
  3. The chest plate is angled versus rounded on the middle - see the original post pic and then compare to all the Power's below.   All Power's were rounded (much like a Gold) on the chest plate, but this one is angled (similar to a Champion).  It's possible the original busted/cracked after wear and he replaced it with this piece.
  4. On a non-modded Power, the bottom plate "floats" free from the other plates and is attached to the CP only by Velcro. This one has been riveted/Chicago-screwed to the bottom plate ala a Wilson Gold, Champion, or other similar CP.  Again, this doesn't mean it's not a Riddell, just that it was modified for the wearer's use - something most of us do.
  5. The arm plates appear to be off a Schutt/Adams HDXV.  The Riddell's did not have "grooves" in theirs.  To my knowledge, only Schutt/Adams uses that model with "grooves".
  6. Stickers are modded form any other Power that I've seen.  The Gold standard since 1989 wouldn't have been on an original Power.  Nor would "Umpire Equipment" on the shoulder plates.

This is a Champion with Riddell stickers - courtesy of @RVAUmp

Riddell Power Umpire Stickers $10 each or 4 for $30 - Buy, Sell or ...

Some examples of non-modded Power's.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... - Umpire Equipment - Umpire-Empire

Riddell Power 2.0 - Umpire Equipment - Umpire-Empire

Top view of OG:

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... - Umpire Equipment - Umpire-Empire

Refurb with added gap coverage for shoulders:

Riddell Power 2.0 - Page 2 - Umpire Equipment - Umpire-Empire

The more I look at the post I just made and compare the original Power pics to the top image of the first post, the more I am convinced someone cannibalized parts and created/updated a Power. 

1. The chest carapace and pauldrons/epaulets appear to be from a Champion. The wings are too small for a Riddell. Even the top carapace over the shoulders is not like a normal Power - the velcro extends too far. 
  2. The arm plates I would venture are from an Adams/Schutt HDX. 
  3. The bottom plate sure appears to be a true Riddell plate to me.  
  4. The padding also should be authentic Riddell. 
  5. The CP harness surely is with that sticker on it.

This is one of those very hard-to-say for sure items. There are definitive signs of original Power on there, but there are some big question marks too. 

The bottom line is that it appears to be an almost new, very unique CP with good padding and new plastic and should get you a lifetime of service out of it.

I am not running it down in any manner. It's a very neat CP.  I'm just bored with too much time on my hands and I'm trained to identify things that appear out-of-place, so I apologize if I'm too detailed or stepping on anyone's toes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GerryB said:

Were many people now at Riddell alive/adults when these were being made?:D

There is a couple, right before they stopped doing refurbs i was in contact with them. Im going to take their word for it. Gave them the serial numbers and a bunch of photos.

• Like 1