Cape Cod Baseball League Shutting Down For The Year

celt62

With a shortened/non existent collegiate season due to Covid-19,  now the Cape has postponed the season on Friday the 24th.  It is for the good of all the umpires, players, coaches and fans but for selfish reasons I was looking forward to doing a few games there this summer hoping that it would be safe.  Massachusetts has seen an increase in cases especially in Cape towns so this is for the best.  This baseball year is a tough pill to swallow.  Definitely a lost year.  All be safe out there and please be careful.

3 hours ago, celt62 said:

With a shortened/non existent collegiate season due to Covid-19,  now the Cape has postponed the season on Friday the 24th.  It is for the good of all the umpires, players, coaches and fans but for selfish reasons I was looking forward to doing a few games there this summer hoping that it would be safe.  Massachusetts has seen an increase in cases especially in Cape towns so this is for the best.  This baseball year is a tough pill to swallow.  Definitely a lost year.  All be safe out there and please be careful.

3 hours ago, celt62 said:

Baseball on the Cape is great.  Hopefully you'll get to work some.

• Like 1

I've done Cape games before.  There's nothing else like it.  It's like doing a top 5 conference all star game every night.  I can't wait for next year.  I wonder though with the NCAA  extending eligibility if the Cape will do the same?

5 hours ago, celt62 said:

I've done Cape games before.  There's nothing else like it.  It's like doing a top 5 conference all star game every night.  I can't wait for next year.  I wonder though with the NCAA  extending eligibility if the Cape will do the same?

Worked 3 summers on the Cape.  Got to work the Team USA vs Cape Cod League All Stars.  Wound up a tie game as the Cape team ran out of pitchers. Pissed off the Team USA staff immensely.  Wound up 2-2.  Kevin Youkilis's parents were in town to watch the game, Kevin played on the Bourne Braves.  His mom bought tickets in the 50/50 raffle and wound up winning the grand prize for a total of about $10,000.  Place was packed.  https://cpe-prod.usabaseball.com/documents/8/8/6/239014886/CNT_2000Roster_5jr8h2jq.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What a fun season to follow on the Cape this year.  I was honored and fortunate enough to do opening night and the first three games on the 2021 schedule. My second game was with both teams that ended up in the CCBL finals in a preview of things to come. What a thrill. Nothing else like it.

• Like 3