Will Little League have the LLWS?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1419 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Little League has pronounced that they want to hold off on baseball until at least May 11 because of the guidance on COVID-19.  Don't know what it's like where you are, but in Nevada, the Governor has closed everything (including the parks) until the end of April; but we are hearing that the closure may extend through the end of May.

IMO this is disrupting normal league baseball all over the world, and it's going to be darn near impossible to complete a season much less get District All-Stars done.  This would push States, Regionals, and even the LLWS in Williamsport.

I get it why the shutdown of sports has been necessary.  But the information vacuum has been annoying.  I conclude that there is a risk to the 2020 LLWS tournament.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Las Vegas

2 hours ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Little League has pronounced that they want to hold off on baseball until at least May 11 because of the guidance on COVID-19.  Don't know what it's like where you are, but in Nevada, the Governor has closed everything (including the parks) until the end of April; but we are hearing that the closure may extend through the end of May.

IMO this is disrupting normal league baseball all over the world, and it's going to be darn near impossible to complete a season much less get District All-Stars done.  This would push States, Regionals, and even the LLWS in Williamsport.

I get it why the shutdown of sports has been necessary.  But the information vacuum has been annoying.  I conclude that there is a risk to the 2020 LLWS tournament.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Las Vegas

https://www.littleleague.org/player-safety/coronavirus-update/faqs/?utm_source=DA Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Coronavirus FAQs

I would be "shocked" if there was a LLWS this year.  I know LL would like one (big TV contract) but I don't see it happening.

I think a lot of leagues will have problems even getting a Regular Season played.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

We need to end the lockdown.  It's for the KIDS!

Seriously, I feel bad for the 12 year olds that won't get their chance to fulfill a dream.

Let's call it what it is.   It's a 12 y/o's dream............. Is a 12y/o not making it to Williamsport going to change anything in their future? That's a rhetorical question.  If they're a good player, it will continue to show.  Along with high school seniors, who dream of college scholarships, as that's the only way many of them will be able to afford an opportunity at continuing education.............at least NCAA is allowing Spring sport seniors another chance next year.

LL cancelled the Regionals and World Series, no way they were realistically going to get them played this year.

LL is hoping (expecting) that as States/Counties/Cities/Towns re-open that local leagues will be able to have a Regular Season.  Obviously it depends on the local area as to how long a season that might be.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:49 PM, The Man in Blue said:

But local leagues can still play (and send LL a check) if local authorities allow it.

The check to charter is pretty small.  $10 per team.

The insurance check is bigger, however you can get insurance elsewhere if the policy meets LL standards.

For both it works out to maybe $6 per player.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been given information about the future of LL baseball at the League level here in Las Vegas.

Some leagues have cancelled for the rest of 2020.  (No Fall Ball)

Most leagues are cancelling all of the Spring sessions with a focus on an enhanced Fall Ball concept.  Practices in August and games starting Labor Day.  They will run a regular season program like the Spring and maintain the 2020 age charts.  (Most leagues will be keeping the same teams together that started in March.)  The season will end in November.  The District hopes to run a tournament program that will be finished before Thanksgiving.  

There may be some Summer leagues, but we need a clue from the Governor as to when parks can open.  The details of this program are notional at this time, but from what I understand, that all these concepts have the blessing from WR, and thus we can vet the teams under LL Inc programs.

Play Ball!

Mike

Las Vegas

Florida was given the OK to start, with approval from the local county/city/town.

Our LL started practicing two days ago (May 26).  Plans are for two weeks of practices and then games from mid-June to the end of July.  Possible District, Sectional and State Tournaments in August.

Leagues are following the LL Resumption Guide Best Practices.  Participation is purely Voluntary but even so, leagues are requiring signed Liability Waivers (similar to Babe Ruth).

On 5/28/2020 at 12:39 PM, Lou B said:

Florida was given the OK to start, with approval from the local county/city/town.

Our LL started practicing two days ago (May 26).  Plans are for two weeks of practices and then games from mid-June to the end of July.  Possible District, Sectional and State Tournaments in August.

Leagues are following the LL Resumption Guide Best Practices.  Participation is purely Voluntary but even so, leagues are requiring signed Liability Waivers (similar to Babe Ruth).

Why, oh why is anyone bothering with any sort of post season at this point?  They should just play games for the other 90% of the league, not just the All Star kids, IMO. 

If they're going to just play a 6-7 week regular season, I'd expect a lot of players/parents to not bother with it. 

If we do a post season, it will be a city tournament, with all teams playing. 

We're in Florida, our leagues/teams had already played for 3-4 weeks (6-8 games) before getting shut down in mid-March.  If we add another 6-7 weeks (12-14 games) in June and July and that's an 18-20 game season, even more with some Inter-League Games.  That's what we usually play in a Regular Season anyway.  Having a shortened All Star Tournament in August isn't depriving the non-All Stars from their normal amount of  Regular Season games.

By the way, nothing says that the leagues can't just keep playing and skip All Stars if that's what they want to do and I know some are thinking about doing just that.  In fact, nothing is making the leagues re-start it they don't want to, and a few are thinking about not re-starting or waiting a few more weeks before re-starting.

==========

As for players/parents not bothering to sign-up for only a 6-7 week season, when I lived in upstate NY and in northern Michigan some years we were happy to get in a 6-7 week season!