U3K Dead Ball

I have a question about yesterday's Referee.com caseplay. The batter swings and misses for strike three, and the pitch hits the umpire in the mask, drops down into his coat, where it lodges. The NFHS ruling is a dead ball and the batter awarded first base. I get the "dead ball" part, but I'm wondering about the award: what rule or case states that the batter is awarded first, rather than the defense "awarded" the out? Disclosure: I don't work Fed, so I'm not conversant with school rules. The case cites only the NFHS rule, not NCAA or OBR.

Is there a MLB or MiLB rule, case or interpretation that addresses the question of the award? (Senor Azul?)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OBR 5.06 (B) (4) "(4) Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance: . . .

(I) One base, if the batter becomes a runner on Ball Four or Strike Three, when the pitch passes the catcher and lodges in the umpire’s mask or paraphernalia.

If the batter becomes a runner on a wild pitch which entitles the runners to advance one base, the batter-runner shall be entitled to first base only."

5 hours ago, LRZ said:

I have a question about yesterday's Referee.com caseplay. The batter swings and misses for strike three, and the pitch hits the umpire in the mask, drops down into his coat, where it lodges. The NFHS ruling is a dead ball and the batter awarded first base. I get the "dead ball" part, but I'm wondering about the award: what rule or case states that the batter is awarded first, rather than the defense "awarded" the out? Disclosure: I don't work Fed, so I'm not conversant with school rules. The case cites only the NFHS rule, not NCAA or OBR.

Is there a MLB or MiLB rule, case or interpretation that addresses the question of the award? (Senor Azul?)

To further answer the question, the defense isn't awarded the out because the batter isn't out.