Delayed dead ball for Balk

NFHS has a survey for baseball: http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/nfhs-sport-questionnaires/

It appears they like a proposal I reluctantly suggested in a long ago contentious thread about FED balks. I say reluctantly because I would rather think that all umpires could comprehend the OBR/NCAA version of the rule but that might not be the case and thus the FED survey question which I have to paraphrase. Would you support a change to the FED balk rule to allow a delayed dead ball and give the coach the choice of the penalty or the play?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm laughing at Part II of the survey: "Have you observed any of the following this year?" Considering a vast part of the country didn't even have a season, I'm going to guess "rarely" will be th

I'm laughing at Part II of the survey: "Have you observed any of the following this year?"

Considering a vast part of the country didn't even have a season, I'm going to guess "rarely" will be the popular answer this year.

• Like 1

Do you guys have anything else that is a delayed dead ball call like a catchers interference or obstruction and wait till the end of the play to give the result or offer a choice. If so, it would seem they would on a balk. If not, then it would seem they do not want the possible confusion on any type of delayed type situations.

18 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Do you guys have anything else that is a delayed dead ball call like a catchers interference or obstruction and wait till the end of the play to give the result or offer a choice. If so, it would seem they would on a balk. If not, then it would seem they do not want the possible confusion on any type of delayed type situations.

FED enforces catcher interference (obstruction) the same as the other codes other except for a minor difference if it occurs on a squeeze or steal of home. I don't understand your logic regarding a balk.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

FED enforces catcher interference (obstruction) the same as the other codes other except for a minor difference if it occurs on a squeeze or steal of home. I don't understand your logic regarding a balk.

It seemed like you felt that they should play the balk situation out. I agree with you especially if they play other situations out. But if high school doesn't play things out such as a balk,  continue the  pitch,  base hit double situation, and just stop play immediately, my bad.

46 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

It seemed like you felt that they should play the balk situation out. I agree with you especially if they play other situations out. But if high school doesn't play things out such as a balk,  continue the  pitch,  base hit double situation, and just stop play immediately, my bad.

FED currently kills the ball immediately upon a balk. Thus a HR and many other advantageous things that might happen for the offense would be negated although most of us haven't seen that happen. Umpires who are concerned that they might actually call a balk and have that batter hit the dead ball for a HR want FED to adopt the OBR/NCAA rule. Other umpires are concerned that some FED level umpires would not enforce the OBR/NCAA rule correctly so FED should keep the immediate dead ball. I kind of tongue in cheek suggested the coach choice a while ago on a thread and doubt FED read that thread. But coach choice is a solution for those that don't want to negate a HR but don't think that all FED umpires can comprehend the OBR/NCAA rule. And we know that many amateur OBR umpires actually are ignorant of the actual rule and use "coach choice". I am assuming that whoever wrote that survey question knows the OBR/NCAA rule and wants to simplify enforcement of a delayed dead ball balk for FED level umpires.