Mask hand

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1436 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've seen a lot of umpires take their mask off with their right hand; both partners I've worked with and even high level umpires online.

I thought you weren't supposed to use your right and I personally only use my left hand and would never go right.

But it okay to use your right hand? If you're an evaluator/assigner, would you ding someone for using their right?

I have always been taught, from LL to pro school, always the left hand.

And yes, when I am instructing/evaluating, I will correct those that remove masks with their right hand.

• Like 4

Do these umpires move the mask to their left hand after removing? Or do they do signal an out with their left hand?

I absolutely would mention it to a partner or include it on an evaluation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

I've seen a lot of umpires take their mask off with their right hand; both partners I've worked with and even high level umpires online.

I thought you weren't supposed to use your right and I personally only use my left hand and would never go right.

But it okay to use your right hand? If you're an evaluator/assigner, would you ding someone for using their right?

First, I'm going to support all responses so far.  Left hand, PERIOD.  

Second, and with all due respect: "high level umpires online" ... typically, if you've seen 'higher level umpires' with masks in their right hand, ...they've swapped hands briefly for some reason or another.  FOR ME .....I write with my left hand, so I may flip over to my right just in order to tuck my mask and then write a change in the line-up, etc.  I'm willing to bet that watching anyone advanced at any level, ...their mask is in their left hand 98-99% of the time, no question

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

Do these umpires move the mask to their left hand after removing? Or do they do signal an out with their left hand?

For partners I've worked with that do it, it's normally take off with right and move to left if they have an out call. However, I've had a few call bangers with their right hand, with their mask still in it. It looks... interesting to say the least. :HS

1 minute ago, Young_Ump said:

For partners I've worked with that do it, it's normally take off with right and move to left if they have an out call. However, I've had a few call bangers with their right hand, with their mask still in it. It looks... interesting to say the least. :HS

............and 100% wrong :no: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

It comes off with the left hand during playing action. I might actually take it off with my right hand to put it under my left armpit when taking subs or talking with a coach.

That always felt weird to me. It was instinctive to always remove with left hand and either book it into my armpit or switch it over to the right hand before doing so.

22 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

I have always been taught, from LL to pro school, always the left hand.

And yes, when I am instructing/evaluating, I will correct those that remove masks with their right hand.

I also agree with the above. Taught  Instruct and evaluate.

22 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

I've seen a lot of umpires take their mask off with their right hand; both partners I've worked with...

2 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

For partners I've worked with that do it, it's normally take off with right and move to left if they have an out call.

You're in Las Vegas, NV, and in a "transitory" baseball environment. There are more games available than umpires. When that happens, administrators (assigners / evaluators / trainers) tend to overlook umpire mechanical flaws and deficiencies, so as to keep guys on field and on time. To them, is it really worth it to beat on an umpire who you'll likely not see again, so long as he "adequately" covers the 5-6 time slots you've assigned him to? It's a form of "Time & Effort" triage... you can't "save" everybody.

When I started umpiring, it took me a full year to break my habit of taking my mask off with the right (wrong) hand. Because I was a long-time catcher, I put my mask on and took it off with my right. It's what I was most used to, and really natural with. I never was formally instructed or trained, so what actually broke me off that habit was carrying the indicator in my right hand, thereby forcing me to do the mask with the left (correct) hand. Heh, you know how I broke that habit (of carrying the indicator in the wrong hand)? Not using an indicator, full stop. In fact, when I ceased using an indicator is when my umpiring aptitude and skillset kinda coalesced. Now, when I catch for umpire cage work, it feels incredibly foreign to put the mask on with my right hand!

On 4/13/2020 at 2:18 PM, Young_Ump said:

... with and even "high level" umpires online.

Impossible. If they're College or Pro umpires, in anything from NAIA thru NCAA thru MiLB thru MLB, they just won't do it, unless they're working with a busted left hand/wrist. If you're claiming that they're "online", then you've gotta point these out.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, Thunderheads said:

First, I'm going to support all responses so far.  Left hand, PERIOD.  

Second, and with all due respect: "high level umpires online" ... typically, if you've seen 'higher level umpires' with masks in their right hand, ...they've swapped hands briefly for some reason or another.  FOR ME .....I write with my left hand, so I may flip over to my right just in order to tuck my mask and then write a change in the line-up, etc.  I'm willing to bet that watching anyone advanced at any level, ...their mask is in their left hand 98-99% of the time, no question

Echoing your statement about being in right hand to write, etc. I’m left handed and was a left handed catcher, so removing my mask in the left hand was what I did for 6 years of playing youth ball.  It’s natural for me.

What I don’t like about myself, but can’t break is it being in my right hand when I sweep the plate. I want to switch to sweeping with my left hand but think I’ll put more dirt on the plate than what was there prior. 

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

Impossible. If they're College or Pro umpires, in anything from NAIA thru NCAA thru MiLB thru MLB, they just won't do it, unless they're working with a busted left hand/wrist. If you're claiming that they're "online", then you've gotta point these out

@Thunderheads corrected me on that:

On 4/14/2020 at 6:29 AM, Thunderheads said:

typically, if you've seen 'higher level umpires' with masks in their right hand, ...they've swapped hands briefly for some reason or another

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

Not using an indicator

I'm not brave enough to not use an indicator yet, however I do make sure to keep my head up when clicking it... and the All-star with notched dials helps with that :wink:

Removing the mask, as you hold your indicator in the right hand, isn't an easy thing to master. Getting the thumb and ring finger placed just right in the frame takes some practice. Up and out to start with, then just a flip to the left when you get that down. Loose harness, snug hat is a must for that one. 

54 minutes ago, kylejt said:

Removing the mask, as you hold your indicator in the right hand, isn't an easy thing to master. Getting the thumb and ring finger placed just right in the frame takes some practice. Up and out to start with, then just a flip to the left when you get that down. Loose harness, snug hat is a must for that one. 

I assume you mean left hand?

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 4:28 PM, Jimurray said:

Here is one high level umpire taking his mask off with his right hand. But you probably won't see him doing that during playing action. I understand the need to be anal about it in training to break the habit:

Joe West can do whatever he wants. Don’t watch MLB guys for mechanics. Watch MiLB guys 

• Like 3