Paycheck Protection Program...ACT QUICKLY, YOU QUALIFY

aaluck
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1401 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Call me the good guy, the nice guy, whatever.  12 years in the Marines.............trust me when I say I've been called worse.

I work in Supply Chain.  I am an essential employee.  I've gotten out of the house (currently working from home) and traveled to my site for at least 1 day, each of the last 4 weeks.

I am paid well and STILL collecting a check every 2 weeks.  For the $1300 or so that I would earn working HS ball, to me, it isn't worth it.  Besides, that would leave whatever I do not apply for, for someone else who needs it more.

...................yes, I DO have more ammo than toilet paper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, Kevin_K said:

The vast majority of the conversation on this thread is about the SBA loan program in the stimulus package. Almost all of the readers of this forum are not going to be eligible since we issue neither 1099s nor maintain a payroll of employees.

If you are interested in recouping any officiating losses for the spring and/or summer, you are going to have to go through your state's unemployment process, get rejected, and then apply through the  Pandemic Unemployment Assistance which will allow the self employed, independent contractor, or gig workers to seek relief for loss of income. In order to qualify you will need to have claimed income from officiating on previous years' tax returns. If you can qualify, you may also qualify for the additional $600 per week benefit that is included in the legislation.

I posted a link above that came through NASO and Ump Attire. Each state's unemployment process is different and you will need to navigate the process based on your home state's requirements.

Any update on this? Has anybody been successful in getting unemployment through the PUA? I am still getting mixed messages on whether or not I qualify since I still have my full time job, but lost out on umpire income as an independent contractor.  

Has anybody gotten the PPP loan? 

I just got an email that was sent to about 200 umpires in the state from an LLC that was set up less than a month ago. They got my name through an assigner I've never used in the state. Apparently, I can get money - don't know what they're keeping.

I flagged it as spam and will send an email to the assigner (and the groups he's with) to complain about his giving my information without my permission.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, spiffdawg7 said:

Any update on this? Has anybody been successful in getting unemployment through the PUA? I am still getting mixed messages on whether or not I qualify since I still have my full time job, but lost out on umpire income as an independent contractor.  

Has anybody gotten the PPP loan? 

Today I received notice from the NJ Division of Unemployment Insurance that I am eligible for PUA benefits. I filed the claim on April 21 after the state gave guidelines to independent contractors on how to apply for benefits. 

27 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I gave up also... loan kept getting smaller and smaller and got tired of the hassle.  Not worth it for the tiny loan amount.

That sucks. My son eventually gave up as well as the banker kept discouraging him--I think he didn't want to do the work for the small amount.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

Today I received notice from the NJ Division of Unemployment Insurance that I am eligible for PUA benefits. I filed the claim on April 21 after the state gave guidelines to independent contractors on how to apply for benefits. 

That is great.  Somehow I got approved for state of Georgia unemployment even though I wasn't eligible.  I am not accepting the money, but it is now a hassle of trying to get in touch with Georgia to be denied so that I can apply for PUA benefits.  This has been such a hassle.